Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearts of Iron 2: Doomsday question

I just finished a war and it's been a while now, but my manpower is stuck on 0.1 per day, with reinforcements taking 0.1 per day for a net of ZERO manpower.

I can't train any more units. I'm not currently directly at war with anyone, though I am by proxy, IE France, my allies, are fighting Belgium.

I really don't know why it is acting this way. My manpower was a lot higher before and during wartime.

If anyone knows what's wrong, tell me please.

Major_Boobage

Scholar
village_idiot.gif

I am nearly full Hawk lobby. I've continued playing a bit and it persists. I'll try researching the agricultural tech thing, still new to the game so I was kinda oblivious to it.

Higher Game

Arcane
Funny, I just discovered this gem of a game recently. :) I think you're losing all manpower to reinforcements or maybe you just have too many armies in the field. It's key to research those agricultural techs very early (assuming a '36 start) and they'll give you a little extra weight after 3 years.

Although many of the tr00 players hate brigades, if you really are having serious manpower problems you might consider using artillery, which will help your pound for pound strength. Tanks of course are amazing until they start affecting your transport capacity, which is a function of industrial capacity, so early on try making factories so you can have lots of tanks later. You don't need tanks much early on, infantry works just fine until technology starts making tanks really nasty.

To kill enemies you need to surround them where they can't move anywhere, and then finish them off. And DO NOT ATTACK IN WINTER, even with infantry, especially with motored units.

Higher Game said:
Funny, I just discovered this gem of a game recently. :)

Same. It is funny, this game is pretty much what I have always dreamed of, and yet I just find out about it last week.

I've just finished teching agricultural upgrades - it raised my manpower production to 0.2, but then the reinforcement cost raised to 0.2 -.-

Perhaps I do have too many units? I've got 4 militia divisions and 8 infantry divisions spread out over 6 'areas'. I'm not currently at war, in fact I'm surrounded by allies.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Which country are you playing and what year?

MP increase depends on your provinces, more provinces = more MP. Certain techs and ministers affect this, agriculture techs being the most important ones. You do want to research all of those as soon as possible.

Ways to lessen the drain of MP:

1) Don't fight if the province is either SNOW, ICE or BLIZZARD -> way more MP lost.
2) Equip infantry divisions with either engineers, artillery or antitank brigades. They do not require much extra MP but provide a hefty firepower bonus which makes battles shorter. Short battle -> less MP lost.
3) Do not fight to the death, ie until ORG runs out. If you see that you have no chance or only very slim chances of winning, manually order your troops to withdraw. MP saved. This is a problem especially late game when your divisions can have over 130% ORG meaning that they will fight for a long, long time.
4) Remember to use air power correctly. When you set bombers to ground attack missions on a certain region, they might first attack somewhere else but they *usually* come to the rescue of your ground forces when they notice a battle going on. Air power helps bringing enemies ORG down faster. Shorter battle -> less MP lost.
5) If your OIL can take the increased loads, switch over to mechanized troops as soon as possible, ie replace MOT divisions with MEC and start to phase out INF divisions as soon as you weild enough CAV/ARM/MEC-divisions - naturally you don't want to use CAV in the 40's until you get the Air Cavalry tech. MEC and ARM are considered hard divisions in the game engine, which means that they usually take less losses and inflict more damage on the enemy.

Also, if it's DoomsDay and not Armageddon, there's a nasty MP bug which can be fixed by getting Armageddon and latest patch. I *think* there's a custom fix in the Paradox forums somewhere but haven't checked it in ages.

...just noticed - WHY THE FUCK IS FRANCE AT WAR WITH BELGIUM??? :shock:

Edit: noticed your last post, yes looks like you have the nasty MP bug which completely cripples the game. Get the latest patch and please, please upgrade to Armageddon. It fixes several issues in Doomsday.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392813

GarfunkeL said:
Edit: noticed your last post, yes looks like you have the nasty MP bug which completely cripples the game. Get the latest patch and please, please upgrade to Armageddon. It fixes several issues in Doomsday.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392813

Thanks. I was thinking it might be a bug.

...just noticed - WHY THE FUCK IS FRANCE AT WAR WITH BELGIUM??? :shock:

I have no idea, really. They just got zerged by Germany, UK, and Italy and a bunch of other countries all at once. Not sure what caused that.

Higher Game

Arcane
The Maginot line means Belgium is going to get sandwich raped by Germany and/or France, just like Poland being stuck in between Germany and Russia.

Etienne_the_Guardian said:
Same. It is funny, this game is pretty much what I have always dreamed of, and yet I just find out about it last week.

Well I got it last week but had known about it for years. :) As a Paradox fan I played the hell out of Europa Universalis 2 and right now I really can't decide which is better. HOI2 is more realistic but EU2 lets you conquer the world with the Ethiopians if you're good enough. :lol: They're both amazing games in their own ways.

GarfunkeL said:
2) Equip infantry divisions with either engineers, artillery or antitank brigades. They do not require much extra MP but provide a hefty firepower bonus which makes battles shorter. Short battle -> less MP lost.

I think artillery is the best choice, but antitank sucks. Don't forget that the average tank is still 30% soft, so artillery is *almost* as good as antitank against tanks, and MUCH better against other soft targets. Antitank would only really be useful against heavy tanks (like 20% softness or less IIRC), and I don't remember seeing the AI ever using those things. Perhaps antitank is only really good for multiplayer but even then I would strongly prefer artillery.

Engineers are good but that little speed boost just might not be worth the cost, and even with them attacking across a river is usually a bad idea.

GarfunkeL said:
3) Do not fight to the death, ie until ORG runs out. If you see that you have no chance or only very slim chances of winning, manually order your troops to withdraw. MP saved. This is a problem especially late game when your divisions can have over 130% ORG meaning that they will fight for a long, long time.

In addition don't try to fight the enemy to the death, either. Kill them by surrounding and finishing them off (they die if they can't retreat anywhere), not by grinding them down.

GarfunkeL said:
4) Remember to use air power correctly. When you set bombers to ground attack missions on a certain region, they might first attack somewhere else but they *usually* come to the rescue of your ground forces when they notice a battle going on. Air power helps bringing enemies ORG down faster. Shorter battle -> less MP lost.

On this note, the best air mission is probably the one that hurts the enemy's organization, not manpower. Taking land is the key.

GarfunkeL said:
5) If your OIL can take the increased loads, switch over to mechanized troops as soon as possible, ie replace MOT divisions with MEC and start to phase out INF divisions as soon as you weild enough

I'm really new, and this sounds very bad to me. It's not really oil that's a limit so much as transport capacity. Infantry is the most efficient unit as far as transport capacity goes, and trying to replace all infantry with mechanized units sounds like a nightmare unless you're simply loaded with factories.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
First, if you are playing vanilla '36.game, there's no logical reason for Belgium fighting Allies, ever. Something really funky must've happened :D

HG:

They're both amazing games in their own ways.

Yes and you can add Victoria to that list, especially now that Revolutions fixed the major issues in old Vicky. EU3 is the first major Paradox game that I didn't get into, the 3D-map turned me off. Good thing that they seem to have improved it for HoI3.

I think artillery is the best choice, but antitank sucks.

Yes, usually artillery > antitank, but it is useful when you need to shore up pure INF-stacks against plenty of Soviet tanks. Late game, US can also wield pretty hefty ARM/MEC-stacks where AT is useful. AI does use Heavy and Super-Heavy Armor.

Engineers are good but that little speed boost just might not be worth the cost, and even with them attacking across a river is usually a bad idea.

Engineers also give defensive bonus unless it's been changed, which helps a bit. The speed bonus is useless. There are situations where you cannot avoid attacking across a river.

Regarding brigades, do remember that you can re-attach and shuffle them around. They do spend couple of days in deployment pool but it can be done. Also, only use for AA-brigades is to put them with HQ-divisions, especially if your playstyle requires lonely HQ's. AI bombers love to concentrate on HQ's so the extra AA is very useful.

Personally I create 3 div Korps(Lt.Gen) and 9 div Armees(Gen) - and then HQ's are alone, with a FM in them. Also, NEVER stack INF and ARM/MEC together under the same general, since the ARM will make the stack stay in-battle longer thanks to its toughness, making the softer INF divisions take a nasty beating.

1 ARM + 2 MOT or 2 ARM + 1 MOT is best for penetrations to get the extra +10% Combined Arms bonus. When you get MEC-troops, you can safely ditch that bonus since by that time your Panzer Generals should be around skill 6-8 or higher. As a stopgap measure, I have a 3 or 6 Cavalry divisions who guard the flanks of armour. This means that the armoured formations can push farther behind enemy lines without waiting for the slow INF to catch up.

About TC: It's not really an issues unless you are going for full world conquest or you really fuck up your game somehow or you play as a minor. If I play as either USA or USSR, there will never be TC issues. If I play as Germany, I use '36 and '37 to build more IC which helps with the TC before war. During war, steady supply of GAR+MP-divions in a spiderweb keeps the partisans low and their burden on TC minimal. Never keep airfields or ports in pool for long, they really place a burden on TC and you don't want to keep any units in the pool for extended periods.

Also, you can safely go somewhat over TC, it just means that your ESE drops. When you have good infrastructure under your units (like most of Europe) it's not a problem at all. It becomes an issue in Africa and parts of Asia but you can circumvent that with offensive supply for 30 days at a time if your supply pool can take the hit. It's only a problem when you go seriously over the TC, because then ESE might drop into 50% or so, which signals serious problems for your units since ESE determines how fast they regain ORG.

Gah, sorry about the wall of text. I guess I could talk about this shit forever.

GarfunkeL said:
First, if you are playing vanilla '36.game, there's no logical reason for Belgium fighting Allies, ever. Something really funky must've happened :D

The game that I was playing before installing the patch was seriously fucked up. No one was on the Allies, and only Japan on Axis. Commies were USSR, Bulgaria, Mongolia, North China. The large war that was going on was Belgium, which no longer had any land in Europe but had most of the land in Africa vs UK, US, Germany, France, Iraq, Saudi, me, and a bunch of other nations.

Also, it's interesting that you guys are telling me to encircle there troops. The way I was taking nations was by cutting off provinces from their capitals, and it was actually working pretty well.

I'm ready to start a new game now after installing the patch.

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Most of the mods are kinda crappy and/or buggy and unfinished. Stony Road or whatever it was called was decent, if a bit on the hard side.
Bear in mind though, that I haven't been playing for quite a while, so I might be wrong about the mods.

WHAT THE HELL!!!

I was taking over syria, had all of the land but the Hims, they were completely surrounded, and my allies make a peace treaty!! they got back ALL the fucking land!!!

also, let's say im researching agriculture

is it better to use a company with 3 skill and specialty in industry, or a company with 4 skill and no specialty in industry?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
If there's only 1 skill difference, it doesn't really matter that much. The difference is only few days. There's a nifty little program called Hoi2 Research Assistant which calculates the optimal research teams for any country and tech but dunno if it's been updated for Doomsday or Armageddon.

And yes, peace treaties can be annoying - that's why it's good to be the leader in your alliance (UK for allies, Germany for axis and USSR for commies).

sheek

Arbiter
Is there any way to tell what the skill level limit of a commander is?

Sometimes you let a guy accumulate XP, so he gets the max skill before promoting him. But when you see him get to level 4 and 101 XP you promote him and he'll be sent back down to 3, which makes you waste 100 XP worth of combat Because his skill max was 4, if you'd have known you'd have promoted him as soon as he reached level 4 and be level 4 of one higher rank.

Panthera

Scholar
Don't commanders always lose skill when being promoted?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom