Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearts of Iron IV - The Ultimate WWII Strategy Game

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually, I'm quite curious about what would happen when that ship with jew immigrants would be accepted in US, and German would be able to solve jews in Germany by forced emigration.

In computer games like this, it's quite important to analyse stuff like that to have quality game. Gypsies have practically only work camps, and while I consider theory of work camps or penal workers as atrocious, it was nicer.

Then there is also problem HOI doesn't emulate certain weakness of German economy, which when attacked would cause German collapse in few months. But perhaps it's better because players can find it in historical works and could make Germany much easier. (And what would happen when AI would exploit it...)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
My dream vision games are Crusader Kings 2 Warriors, but actually what I really wanna see is Operation Europe Warriors (and yes I want it's taken all the way so its the most batshit crazy Warriors game ever).

Vaarna's got it, the answer is Great Men™ and their politics and views mattering + public opinion and its manipulation. One of these days I'm gonna make my vision of a WW2 Sengoku Rance-like game with Panzer General ripoff tactical combat a reality. Of course, this is easier said than done.
I've mentioned before that I don't like the term "Great Men" and the kind of historiography it encourages, personally I'd probably use some kind of bullshit academic term like political memetics or power structure conflicts to describe the thing. But yea, the point is that politics is a collaborative process where the power structure is a series of people playing Chinese Whispers in service of pseudo-fictional figureheads. In game terms however, it would definately deal with concrete figures with the power structure being an abstract, so it would be Great Men politics and struggles outside of the battlefield. I think it'd be something that could acquire a fairly simplistic core design that allows for greater than the sum of its parts results. Think about refining and improving things like Orion Senate or Tropico election promises and talking points. The key part I'd say is that in a democracy you can alter the balance of power among the Great Men through public opinion and results achieved, while in an autocracy only force changes the balance of power (whether through physical removal, intimidation, or weakness).

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Its funny because in 1938 the germans would have crashed into the Czechslovakian fortifications. They would have to take them out fast until the allies realized they were, in fact, able to take out the germans, then just do well enough to have the generals coup Hitler
Austria joined Germany in March.
https://www.google.com/maps/@48.7319047,16.2597948,4885m/data=!3m1!1e3

Czech generals quite well understood situation, and flat out refused to fight. Soldiers were different matter, but it would require air superiority and proper training in tank maneuver warfare to even have chance against more tactically capable Germans.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Actually, I'm quite curious about what would happen when that ship with jew immigrants would be accepted in US, and German would be able to solve jews in Germany by forced emigration.
Or if the British and French had agreed to the 1940 Madagascar plan. It would not have saved Soviet Jews but the European Jews? And no Israel, instead the Jewish state of Madagascar. Crazy world if that had happened.

So exploitable

1460da680a.jpg

Def getting this game for some mods I have planned. 100% better than bothering with modding HOI3, whih was a fucking horrid mess.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I'm starting to like this, now you can go on a conquest with a minor country.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I stopped watching these, couldn't bear the sight and sound of the QA Kid, whatever his name. Kind of exemplifies the New Paradox target audience - annoying, and at best has a nodding acquaintance with history, but full of himself despite his total ignorance. Considers memes to be a demonstration of wit.

The game itself might turn out fun though. It's just watching these videos that poses a danger of poisoning the experience for proper nerds.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Seems the most effective battleplan is 'everyone march to the end of the country'

With or without massive editing for gold and resources and to change neutrality?

It's possible for almost anyone. You need some way to drop about 20 neutrality or so after taking Prepare for War. Some countries start low enough that they don't need to, others can raise threat on a bordering nation with different loyalties, lacking either the only expedient way is to guarantee a country that is destined to be attacked (e.g. Nat China).

Of course, there's always the "align yourself to Germany/Soviets/UK and hope they do all the work and give you your war goals" way. You could puppet France as Luxembourg and keep most of their army/navy intact (or at least you can with any other country, France specifically might be scripted so you can't since its a special CB that Germany uses).

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
For people who played the other Hearts of Iron games extensively, does this look like it will be better or worse than the others?

varangos

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
For people who played the other Hearts of Iron games extensively, does this look like it will be better or worse than the others?

It already looks worse,the game is over simplified compared to hoi3,its basically made for the ck2 crowd.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
I've just noticed that the wallpaper that is visible on the Colonel's Edition picture is the same wallpaper that it's currently set as my desktop wallpaper...

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Green Man Gaming has the Colonel Edition with the following:

The Colonel Edition includes the following items:

• Base Game
  • Heavy Cruiser Pack: Seven heavy cruisers available for both Axis and Allies - Exeter, Prinz Eugen and Mogami amongst others.
  • Soviet Tank Pack: Eight tanks for when playing as Soviet, ranging from light all the way up to Super Heavy.
  • US Tank Pack: Eight tanks for when playing as USA, ranging from light all the way up to Super Heavy.
  • British Tank Pack: Eight tanks for when playing as United Kingdom, ranging from light all the way up to Super Heavy.
  • French Tank Pack: Eight tanks for when playing as France, ranging from light all the way up to Super Heavy.
  • Wallpapers: Wallpapers made with art from the game.
  • Colonel Forum Icon: A icon that can be used on Paradox own forum.

So, five tank packs.

The Field Marshall edition has this addition:

• Expansion Pass: Includes the first 2 expansion and its related content, to an estimated value of $49.99.

I'll be purchasing the Cadet version, because I'm a grown man, and not in it for the tank models...

Luzur

Good Sir
Hearts of Iron ® IV Available at the Paradox Store!
Get Pre-order Bonuses by Reserving a Copy of the Ultimate WWII Strategy Game

Hearts of Iron ® IV, the long-awaited World War II grand strategy war game is now available for pre-order at the Paradox Store! Three editions are available, some including bonuses for eager conquerors.

The "Standard" Cadet Edition includes the Hearts of Iron IV base game along with a new icon for the Paradox Forums and new wallpaper art. For those wishing to explore more of the world, the Colonel Edition also includes an extra icon and Tank Packs.

For the full Hearts of Iron IV experience, the Field Marshal Edition includes all of the above, along with exclusive avatars and an Expansion Pass that will grant access to upcoming unannounced expansion content.

Pre-ordering any edition of Hearts of Iron IV comes with exclusive rewards:
  • German March Order Music Pack, composed by our own Andreas Waldetoft
  • Allied Radio Music Pack, composed by Tobias Gustafsson
  • Hearts of Iron: War Stories Gamebook (instant access)
And everyone who buys Hearts of Iron IV, whether in pre-order or later, will get the Poland: United and Ready Focus Pack DLC included for free.

Click the big bold button below to get your copy! Pre-order it now and you'll get your key on your Paradox Account on the day of release June 6!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom