Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearts of Iron II Interest Check

spacemoose

Erudite
I want to see if there's enough people here who would like to play a game of HoI2

I've never hosted a HoI2 game before, so there might be unforseen problems and/or delays :!:

We need at least four people to control the powerhouse nations:

Germany - the bad boy everyone likes to gang up on, with good reason, since they've got the best tech teams, generals, and an excellent political situation (nationalist + centralized), doctrine suited for high speed warfare and encirclements, short on iron, and later oil

USA - sleeping giant starts off in the great depression, becomes an industry monster once they join the war, good navy, doctrine is good all around, possiblility of gaining the A-bomb late in the game, huge surpluses of every resource, political situation is isolationist, so that makes it difficult to enter any war unless you're DOWed, excellent tech teams

USSR - AAAH MOTHERLAND, worst tech teams in the big leagues, but huge manpower reserves and growth, good industry, doctrine suited to slow frontwide advances and mass assaults, severely gimped in combat until someone declares war on them ( this is bullshit but whatareyougonnado ), lots of resources

Japan - good navy and political situation ( again - nationalistic, centralized and interventionist ), worst doctrine out of all the big players, don't really get good benefits until late in the game, ok industry, short on nearly every resource, good tech teams, my favorite to play as it has just the right amount of challenge in the single player game

Of course, the more people we get, the merrier. These nations usually end up playing a secondary role in my experience, for various reasons:

UK: powerful navy, very good tech teams, doctrine not so good compared to others, low manpower and manpower growth, the atlantic, mediterrenean and north afrika are usually the only places where you can make a difference

France: low manpower and manpower growth, ok tech teams, not so good doctrine, maginot line! possibly not doomed

China: not enough good leaders, terrible tech teams, ok industry, tons of manpower, doctrine favors mass assaults and slow frontwide advances, no navy to speak of

Italy: gimped in every which way, bad tech teams, navy with no carrier tech, no good leaders, doctrine on par with UK, Japan and France, ok industry, tons of beaches to defend

And if you want to play any other nation that existed at that time, go ahead, its probably in the game! Canada and Australia are in an alliance with UK from the start, so they get great techs.

I will play whatever top-four nation is left after three have been picked.

So come on, it will be fun

LlamaGod

Cipher
It pissed me off when I found out I couldnt play soley as Jamacia and lead the fight against Germany with my black brothas.

Oarfish

Prophet
I'm up for that, I'll take the UK. Not played enough to be confident using the Krauts in multiplayer.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Meh, I'm still trying to get into Crusader Kings... I don't like it when games have shitty printed manuals and the real stuff is on the CD.
Hearts of Iron is one of those Paradox games, right? If I ever get the hang of CK, I may try the others.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Elwro said:
Meh, I'm still trying to get into Crusader Kings... I don't like it when games have shitty printed manuals and the real stuff is on the CD.
Hearts of Iron is one of those Paradox games, right? If I ever get the hang of CK, I may try the others.

I like HOI2 more, but the kingdom thingy in CK was more complex. They took the idea of that from CK and made it your party cabinent in HOI2.

HOI2 is also reversed, they dont give you much info in the game and theres no manual on the CD, but the book manual is god damn good.

I think Paradox is making a 'copy protection' in the form of not including electronic manuals anymore. So you try to play the game and cannot because you have no clue.

Astromarine

Erudite
I have HoI 2, but I've never played it yet. It's on the "pile". I can join with Portugal and basically be someone's vassal state while they tell me what to do. Should be an interesting way to learn a game :D

spacemoose

Erudite
It would be much better if we had people 'manning' USSR, USA and Japan, but lets see how this works out. I'll take Germany so you fuckers better watch out.

I will try to start a game on valkyrienet. Go to multiplayer, valkyrienet and choose HOI2 channel, once a few people show up, we'll start the game.

You should have version 1.3a

Password will be: dongs

Jed

Cipher
Spacemoose said:
The game begins in 1936, and Israel doesn't exist yet, its still a British territory.
Yup, just an empty expanse of dry desert. No human beings whatsoever living there, certainly no Palesti--er, Arab extremists living there.

spacemoose

Erudite
Eh, no one showed up. I guess I'll let this thread slip into oblivion (hoho).

But if anyone is up for a game, send me a PM, I can usually play from 8:00 Pacific on the weekdays.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Hmmm... I actually have my copy of Hearts of Iron 2 sitting next to my computer from a whim buy at Target since it was on clearence. Unfortunately, not having to pay dearly for it, means I don't feel obligated to play it. And I'll actually have some free time next week, maybe I'll pick it up and give it a whirl. I get the feeling it will take me a while to learn the mechanics, though.

kris

Arcane
I never read the manuals in the Paradox games. Which in truth did end up with me missing some important things. But all in all are they not that hard to get into. I would be in a MP game, but we need a bit more than 2 players ;) I'd take on one of the naval nations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom