Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heath: The Unchosen Path in 2024

Litmanen

Educated
Hello guys, don't ask me why, but I've just installed Heath: The Unchosen Path (Zlatogorye 1).

I've seen there was another thread that dated to 2005 but it was too much necroposting also for a necroposter like me.

I've read (not a lot of) bad things about this game but seems to still have people who look for it/play it.

So, what about it? Gameplay wise, does it have any similarity with other games? is it worth at least a playthrough?

Litmanen

Educated

Modron

Arcane
Heath is a linear simple hack and slash that isn't very interesting; on the plus side, I don't remember it taking long to beat.

Litmanen

Educated
Heath is a linear simple hack and slash that isn't very interesting; on the plus side, I don't remember it taking long to beat.
All I have see and read about it point towards this direction, yes. In the end, if informations are scarce but all underline the same thing, in the end I must give up and admit to myself that it is an hack'n'slash.

And drop it (since I don't like h'n's). Thank you Modron

Jack Slash

Literate
Heath is sorta special to me, because it was a gift from a dear cousin, who sadly passed away not long ago, at an age when he still had so much to live for.

It was one of the first RPGs that I played to completion as a kid, and it was perfect for someone who hadn't yet played all the classics of the genre. The slavic mythos setting is obviously its biggest draw, and I think it's worth playing for the bestiary alone - just to see all these weird bukas and volkolaks and read up on them in the in-game encyplopaedia.

That said, I don't think hack and slash is a fair way to describe it - the game has a tactical turn-based combat that is much closer to random encounters from Fallout rather than something Diablo-like. In fact, the game borrowed a lot from Fallout, including its perks and stat system.

There are several hubs/centres of activity with "social" quests - mostly of the fetch variety, but also some more unique ones.

For example, I remember a particularly impressive side story of a drunken craftsman who sunk to the very bottom of his village because he could not give up his favourite alcoholic poison. So, one of his friends asks you to find a special bird figurine somewhere in a nearby cave and give it to the master as a present. Sounds like a weird way to combat alcoholism, but when you do so, the master perks up, looks over the figurine and starts talking to you about its imperfections, and how it needs to be fixed here and there, and some components need to be replaced or brushed up, and he can't wait to go to his shop and do all that. And the alcohol is quickly forgotten. It's pretty simple, but the game is built on these kind of small things that tend to stick with you.

And indeed, it doesn't take much longer than 6-8 hours to beat blind. I think the biggest sin of the game is how OP you become by the end when playing a martial build, while mages, on the contrary, almost feel like an afterthought. Still, I would argue that the original Heath is much better than its sequels - not in the least because it's such a self-contained experience that does not overstay its welcome.

Also, the music is god-tier. Give it a go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlMQkVzlS-A

Litmanen

Educated
Heath is sorta special to me, because it was a gift from a dear cousin, who sadly passed away not long ago, at an age when he still had so much to live for.

It was one of the first RPGs that I played to completion as a kid, and it was perfect for someone who hadn't yet played all the classics of the genre. The slavic mythos setting is obviously its biggest draw, and I think it's worth playing for the bestiary alone - just to see all these weird bukas and volkolaks and read up on them in the in-game encyplopaedia.

That said, I don't think hack and slash is a fair way to describe it - the game has a tactical turn-based combat that is much closer to random encounters from Fallout rather than something Diablo-like. In fact, the game borrowed a lot from Fallout, including its perks and stat system.

There are several hubs/centres of activity with "social" quests - mostly of the fetch variety, but also some more unique ones.

For example, I remember a particularly impressive side story of a drunken craftsman who sunk to the very bottom of his village because he could not give up his favourite alcoholic poison. So, one of his friends asks you to find a special bird figurine somewhere in a nearby cave and give it to the master as a present. Sounds like a weird way to combat alcoholism, but when you do so, the master perks up, looks over the figurine and starts talking to you about its imperfections, and how it needs to be fixed here and there, and some components need to be replaced or brushed up, and he can't wait to go to his shop and do all that. And the alcohol is quickly forgotten. It's pretty simple, but the game is built on these kind of small things that tend to stick with you.

And indeed, it doesn't take much longer than 6-8 hours to beat blind. I think the biggest sin of the game is how OP you become by the end when playing a martial build, while mages, on the contrary, almost feel like an afterthought. Still, I would argue that the original Heath is much better than its sequels - not in the least because it's such a self-contained experience that does not overstay its welcome.

Also, the music is god-tier. Give it a go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlMQkVzlS-A
First of all, I'm sorry for your loss! <3

After that, thank you: that sounds rather different from what I've heard until now.

Care to explain, maybe, if skills and "perks" (or whatever they are called) actually influence dialogues, interactions and quests' approach/ending?

Jack Slash

Literate
Thank you - I apprecite your kind words.

As for the perks, the vast majority of them only affect the adventuring part of the game. Think stuff like +50 kg to carried weight, the ability to see the remaining health points of foes in combat, higher healing, extra initiative in battle, a chance to find useful herbs for crafting. A lot of them were either directly taken from Fallout or at least inspired by it, and similar to Fallout, you get more and more options the higher level you are. But this is also why I don't consider this game hack and slash - you only fight 4-5 enemies at a time at most, and killed enemies do not respawn outside of the random encounters.

I think the only skill that actually helps with the quests/social side of the game is lockpicking. Without it, you won't be able to pick locks on certain quest chests and will miss out on a quest or two. There is also stealth, but I do not remember ever using it.

Litmanen

Educated
Thank you - I apprecite your kind words.

As for the perks, the vast majority of them only affect the adventuring part of the game. Think stuff like +50 kg to carried weight, the ability to see the remaining health points of foes in combat, higher healing, extra initiative in battle, a chance to find useful herbs for crafting. A lot of them were either directly taken from Fallout or at least inspired by it, and similar to Fallout, you get more and more options the higher level you are. But this is also why I don't consider this game hack and slash - you only fight 4-5 enemies at a time at most, and killed enemies do not respawn outside of the random encounters.

I think the only skill that actually helps with the quests/social side of the game is lockpicking. Without it, you won't be able to pick locks on certain quest chests and will miss out on a quest or two. There is also stealth, but I do not remember ever using it.
Thank you again. For the second one the situation is the same?

Jack Slash

Literate
The second game decided to go open world, which resulted in a few more quest hubs, some padding and a whole lot more random encounters. The positives include several more active combat abilities, while the negative is a really weird balancing. For example, playing a mage, you could get an ultimate spell in the form of a meteor... which only works in the outside areas! And the most challenging sections of the game take place in enclosed dungeons underground. It's weird how, of all places, the devs decided to go for realism in this specific instance.

However, I have not played the expansion to the sequel, and I heard some people say that it improved upon the original in some ways. It's just after beating the sequel once, I was done with Heath as a series and did not feel like returning.

As for skills/perks - again, the vast majority of them are combat-oriented. There are some utility skills among them - crafting, pickpocketing, barter, but that's about it. Some quests have branching dialogues and alternative outcomes - I do not remember if your stats influence them, though.

Litmanen

Educated
The second game decided to go open world, which resulted in a few more quest hubs, some padding and a whole lot more random encounters. The positives include several more active combat abilities, while the negative is a really weird balancing. For example, playing a mage, you could get an ultimate spell in the form of a meteor... which only works in the outside areas! And the most challenging sections of the game take place in enclosed dungeons underground. It's weird how, of all places, the devs decided to go for realism in this specific instance.

However, I have not played the expansion to the sequel, and I heard some people say that it improved upon the original in some ways. It's just after beating the sequel once, I was done with Heath as a series and did not feel like returning.

As for skills/perks - again, the vast majority of them are combat-oriented. There are some utility skills among them - crafting, pickpocketing, barter, but that's about it. Some quests have branching dialogues and alternative outcomes - I do not remember if your stats influence them, though.
Ok, all in all, to be honest, it sounds still very unappealing, but I'll give it a try to honor the love you have for it and your cousin

Jack Slash

Literate
This is very kind of you - I hope you will find the first game at least somewhat appealing, but regardless, I would love to hear your impressions, positive or negative, if you decide to play it in the future.

Litmanen

Educated
Immagine.jpg

Here is my hero. The problem is the game launches at 800*600 so this picture is way better than what I see

Jack Slash

Literate
The picture looks good! Sorry to hear about the in-game resolution - it's always hit or miss with the oldies. At least this one starts at all.

So, what are you thinking: warrior or archer? I can at least confirm that either one works well.

Litmanen

Educated
The picture looks good! Sorry to hear about the in-game resolution - it's always hit or miss with the oldies. At least this one starts at all.

So, what are you thinking: warrior or archer? I can at least confirm that either one works well.
I went for a "warrior" with Unarmed combat. I don't know why, but I like unarmed combati in games.

Jack Slash

Literate
Sounds good! I hope you'll enjoy your time with the game, and be sure to post your impressions when you can. I've never tried it with a bare-handed build, so I'd be curious to know how it works out.

Litmanen

Educated
Sounds good! I hope you'll enjoy your time with the game, and be sure to post your impressions when you can. I've never tried it with a bare-handed build, so I'd be curious to know how it works out.
One thing I can tell you for sure is that something is wrong with dice rolls/attack percentages. I have 50% chance to it and statistics are like 4/5 hit on 20 rolls.

Jack Slash

Literate
Honestly, it might be the unarmed combat thing - I am not certain that the game accomodates for this approach, and it might be possible that having a weapon in hand adds extra hidden accuracy. It would be interesting to compare the hit chances of armed vs. unarmed character with the same stats.

Still, would be cool if you made it work, the old Slavic hand-to-hand style:

iOEn1J6.png

Litmanen

Educated
Honestly, it might be the unarmed combat thing - I am not certain that the game accomodates for this approach, and it might be possible that having a weapon in hand adds extra hidden accuracy. It would be interesting to compare the hit chances of armed vs. unarmed character with the same stats.

Still, would be cool if you made it work, the old Slavic hand-to-hand style:

iOEn1J6.png
Yeah, in the end I made it work. I reached level 4.

Anyway, I'm really sorry but this isn't the kind of game I like.

It has nice music, a very strange/different setting (from what I normally like/play) and the bestiary maybe is very nice but:

It's linear, there is no choices&consequences system (you are given a quest from one guy that you can accept/refuse ), there is no choice in how you approach/end a quest (if you accept, go there and fight/retrieve by fighting what you are requested), there is no way to change/influence how the game will develop.

I'm not saying it is a bad game, but it's not the kind of games I would like and, yes, I would more probably put it in the H&S category than the RPGs' one.

Jack Slash

Literate
Fair enough - thanks for giving it an honest try and sharing your impressions. You are right in terms of choice & consequence - the only "real" choice you can make is at the very end, where you fight either for good or evil, which influences the ending. The game just isn't advanced enough to do more than that.

Just wanna add that I respect your dedication to playing old series in order - I am the same, and when I discovered series like Final Fantasy, I went all the way to the first one and started from there, despite the game's obvious age. And every now and then, old and obscure games have a way of surprising you.

Litmanen

Educated
Fair enough - thanks for giving it an honest try and sharing your impressions. You are right in terms of choice & consequence - the only "real" choice you can make is at the very end, where you fight either for good or evil, which influences the ending. The game just isn't advanced enough to do more than that.
I wrote them down also for others who, maybe sometimes in future, want to have another opinion. The only deep review of this game are - quite obviously - only in russian (and I've read them too). I think it's both a question of "poor advancement" but also choice. The game is intented to be simple and straightforward, in order to brring the player from a point A in the story to the point B. And that's what it does, as simply as that.

And even if I respect that, I cannot say I like this kind of game-plan.
Just wanna add that I respect your dedication to playing old series in order - I am the same, and when I discovered series like Final Fantasy, I went all the way to the first one and started from there, despite the game's obvious age. And every now and then, old and obscure games have a way of surprising you.

I'm hungry for new games to play and, normally, I don't play actual new games before they are on the market for 2/3 years. I play games just once, then I play them when I'm sure they are finally complete and support is over (and maybe they've received some small, very useful community fixes/additions). Plus, I'm looking for very specific games, because I don't have a lot of time and I want to "maximize" the profit. That's why I always also do a lot of researches about the games I plan to play. But notwithstanding I'm that "picky", I don't care about graphics if the game is good. Before this, I played Prelude to Darkness, that is a graphical abomination but a wonderful game in almost every other aspect. So, to play this one was not that difficult for me, graphic/UI-wise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom