Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Helherron - a very addictive Nahlakh-like game

Skdursh

Savant
This one somehow slipped by me over the years. Never heard of it before, but looks like it could be a good time.

mercyRPG

Cipher
MOD ENTHUSIASTS REJOICE
Finally I can have human-only party with decent stats for everyone.
Essentially you can have a demigod starting party of Avatars. For example you can re-configure all classes to start as the young sons of the Greek Pantheon / or replace all classes with newbie heroes similar in capabilities to the The Avengers (give some Levitation and Haste innate abilities as spells) - or better do a 'Total Conversion', where you start the party with stats equaling Marvel / DC Superheroes. Like in the TV Series, The Boys.

Additionally: you can already hire mercenaries! So mod the mercenaries stats, so they equal the stats of the Avengers lesser heroes - so you can have semi-powered "Helpers" - and you can go with a Son of Superman and his superhero party of 8. Against a brutally dangerous DOOMSDAY supervillain.

You can mod him as an evil NPC and he can have stats-substitutes that closely represent his original abilities:
You can MOD in the two-frame Doomsday sprite from comics. He can also be larger than the other monsters, so he towers over most: the game allows this.

Maybe he is residing in some remote super-fortress in an alternate dimension.

Storyline example:
In order to reach DOOMSDAY, you can MOD-in an Apocalypse Earth invaded by DOOMs demons and all kinds of baddies armies from the Avengers and the newbie superheroes must battle through this Hell-On-Earth extremely hostile environment, if they want to reach DOOMSDAY.

Helherron has an alternate dimension quest-line as well, easy to MOD-in as Total Conversion DOOMSDAY-SuperFortress map.

Of course the monsters will also have to be modded, to resemble for example like the Wrath of the Titans / Clash of Titans storyline:
Perseus braves the treacherous underworld to rescue his father, Zeus, captured by his son, Ares, and brother Hades who unleash the ancient Titans upon the world.

The author of the fantastic X-Piratez! did exactly such 'Multi-Universe Merge Super Total Conversion' in the 'XCOM: UFO Defense remaster' called OpenXCOM. My best ever surprise in X-Piratez! was when I was on a mission and we & the Government Agent enemies are shooting up the place, when I encountered a government agent and shot him fatally and he shed his flesh and transformed into a metal monster - a Terminator T-800, exactly like in the original movie! UFO Defense had a fantastic original transformation-animation for this and the modders used that to create his cameo.

Solarius did something similar as well: in his mod you start as young newbies freshly enlisted into the ranks of Man in Black from the very early beginnings of the research organization Extraterrestrial Combat, AKA X-COM. Then you investigate and research and progress and meet lots of amazing slices of another massive Multi-Universe Merge in the

The X-Com Files - 2.5: Silent Run

--.-.--

..or how about a Buck Rogers Helherron Total Conversion?
1. You can have laser / hi-tech weapons easily, since Helherron fully supports projectile weapons and you can create amazing lazer-blaster / plasma / etc.. projectiles + their impact particle FX with the editor.
2. You can mod fantasy armor to become hi-tech ballistic armor with energy shields, etc..
3. Maps are easily modded with hi-tech dwellings and industrial land-tiles.
4. Fantasy barges can be also modded into docks for Space Ships and the other islands you can configure as other planets, where you can travel to.

Last edited:

mercyRPG

Cipher
Example quick MOD called: "City of Five Magic Shops"

So I posted here a request weeks ago asking for an endgame savegame, if somebody has a full mage and priest with all the spells learned the game offers.

Since nobody came forward, I went into

"Shopkeepers": [
{
"Id": 0,
"MaxItems": 2000,
"BuyPriceMultiplier": 0.0,
"SellPriceMultiplier": 0.0,
"Comment": "Abal's magic items",
"BuysItemsOfType": ["Book","Wand","Scroll"],
"RequiresTagToBuy": [],
"ItemGenerationDef": {
"MinGoodness": 1,
"MaxGoodness": 14,
"CanBeCursed": false,
"RequiredTags": [],
"ItemTypes": [
{
"ItemType": "Book",
"Rarity": 1.65
}
]
},
"SpecialItems": [
{
"Name": "Empty scroll",
"Rarity": 4
}
]
},

Told the blacksmith, bow & arrow maker, the weapons shop owner, the alchemist, etc.. that from now on you only sell spellbooks and nothing else. I copy pasted above JSON section to all five shops overwriting what was there. Taking special care that the commas, parentheses, square brackets, curly brackets, and angle brackets remain exactly at their original place in the JSON file during copy & paste.
Set the shop price multiplier to 0.0 - meaning I could buy all spellbooks for 0 coins each in stacks as well.

The original item count in these beginning-city shops was around 20. I increased it to 2000 and set spellbook quality to all = 1--14, meaning they'll stock the best and rarest spellbooks as well.

Went into Races.json and modified there the fairy race to have powerful mid-to-endgame stats at the beginning. So my lowest level priest and mage can learn all spells.

Created a new game, created a fairy mage and a priest. Bought all books from one shop.
Learned all the spells with my mage and all the priest-exclusive spells as well.

Here is the result:
Full mage spells
Helherron-2022-08-04-23-39-31-54.png

Priest exclusive spells only + some of her beginner spells the game gave her at start:
Helherron-2022-08-04-23-38-33-14.png

All in all about 135 spell icons I need to create / remaster into modern day's glory. I needed this to be able to identify which spell sprite belongs to what spells and to be able to read all spell descriptions.

Also these screens are necessary for me to be able to design the grimoire background graphics.
This should also encompass the lower region - re-skinning the mana usage and spell descriptions sections as well.
The only part I plan to leave alone is the top line with the mage sprite, mana points and the back-button.

Of course the mana multiplier slider will be completely new as well, I'm already having ideas, how to give it the feel of increasing "Magic Power" as you slide it toward the max.

The only rule:
- Just make it look cool!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom