Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help me Codex, you're my only hope.

Hazelnut

Erudite
I need to figure out what game I can be bought for Christmas by my kids (which they've done for over a decade now - so it's a become a tradition), and at the moment I have nothing. Quite a surprise really! I'm hoping that it's because I've not been paying attention to games for the last six months and someone here can suggest something that's not appeared on my radar.

Not FO3, Witcher (last xmas) or MotB/SoZ - those I'm aware of and either have or don't want. It doesn't have to be a RPG, but nothing dumb either. Must also be available in a physical form in the UK, which is why Kings Bounty is out of the running. (released in UK next Feb)

So what good games have come out for the PC in the last 6 months?

I am pretty certain you are totally out of luck this year. Something not dumb you say?

Maybe Romance of the Three Kingdoms 11? Not sure if you are into the KOEI games but that is one possibility.

NiM82

Prophet
I think you'd get more entertainment value from a pack of novelty socks and a lump of coal this year.

somnium

Scholar
Perhaps World of Goo? But if it needs to be physical copy then I am not sure if the retail release will come in time before Christmas.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
If Bionic Commando: Rearmed or World of Goo are available in boxed form thereabouts, then either of those would be a good choice. Failing that, maybe you could try something like the new Prince of Persia, or Devil May Cry 4?

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Six months, You say?
A Vampyre Story? X3 Terran Conflict? Clear Sky, perhaps?... I'm looking forward to purchasing them myself.

Monolith

Prophet
Mount & Blade? I'd love if somebody gave me that one. Together with 2 months of vacation.

MisterStone

Arcane
Maybe they could just give you a GoG.com gift certificate? Well, certificates are kind of cheezy, so maybe that's no good...

Seldon

Educated
I have to agree with some of the previous suggestions by VonVentrue, Monolith and Mondblut:

Mount and Blade is pretty fun if you do not have it already. Nice battles, but a bit irritating.

X3: The Terran Conflict, which of course is buggy (however it is getting improved), but interesting. I have not played it myself yet, but I like X3: Reunion.

Galactic Civilizations 2: Complete, which should be available in retail, and contains the original + the expansions. A really good game, with a lot of things to do, though not entirely serious. It has devoured much of my time.

But what about Civilization IV: Colonization then? Not my favorite game, but it is good and solid, with certain weaknesses.

Hazelnut

Erudite
micmu said:
Hazelnut said:
So what good games have come out for the PC in the last 6 months?
Alphabetically:
:lol: Very good.

Thanks for all the various responses, I'd forgotten about M&B - never actually tried it, but if it's just been released in boxes then I should check out the demo. Civ 4, well I played Civ on my Amiga almost two decades ago, I've not really seen any good reason to play any of the sequels with flashier graphics. (also that game sucks up far too much time) World of Goo is not out in Europe yet, but maybe Eschalon: Book 1 would be a good indy purchase? I'd forgotten that one. Spacerangers 2 I never checked out, so that's an idea.

It doesn't really need to have been release in the last six months, it's just that before that I'm likely to have played anything really good and I was trying to cut the field down without explaining exactly what my taste in games is.

@The Rambling Sage: Why Outcry/Rhiannon, and where can I find a good review of them. Interested, haven't played a new point & click adventure for rather a long time. (since TLJ possibly?) Was also considering Sherlock-Awakened, never played a Sherlock game since Melbourne House's text adventure on the ZX Spectrum which was far too much for me at that age. Dead space sounds dull though, so I decided that was a no. Possibly wrong?

@DraQ: That's an amusing thought, but I usually just order it from Amazon and don't open the box. Somehow it magically wraps itself.

@Emotional Vampire: Free? Hmm, not that old. Kids are all dependants so I'll be buying this game. I suppose I could just grab one from the shelf and tell them it's brand new and I've never played it, but I suspect my acting skills might just give it away... ;-)

Wasn't X3: Reunion a complete abortion or was that MOO3? I might check out Galciv 2 though - maybe that's a good one for me. If anyone is a major geek on these types of games could sum up the pro's and cons of the recent options I would be interested. (or just a link to something) It's the kind of thing I would only buy and enjoy once in a blue moon so I'd want to have the cream.

Hazelnut said:
@The Rambling Sage: Why Outcry/Rhiannon, and where can I find a good review of them. Interested, haven't played a new point & click adventure for rather a long time. (since TLJ possibly?) Was also considering Sherlock-Awakened, never played a Sherlock game since Melbourne House's text adventure on the ZX Spectrum which was far too much for me at that age. Dead space sounds dull though, so I decided that was a no. Possibly wrong?

I played a bit of Outcry, haven't had time yet to put myself fully into it, and it was the first time in a long, long time that i had to stop playing after a while because the creepyness was just killing me (i was so bloody happy!), and i am a dutyfull seeker of all things horror and weird and supernatural so my closet homosexuality is counterweighted by previous experience and being somewhat burned out in the "horror" department. It had a very intense "The Great God Pan" vibe as far as i got, so maybe it was more what i was imagining than what was actually happening that creeped me out, but it certainly sent me home crying like a little bitch. The reviews, though, were not quite "glowing" i believe: Look around Adventure Gamers and Just Adventure, and their forums, for some more "in depth" critics and impressions. It was also called quite pretentious, but then i am also called that every now and then so maybe i felt right at home and didn't notice it. The art style, though, is the most amazing thing i have seen in a long, long while. Deliciously creepy without being gory or morbid or anything like that. Very elegant so far.

Rhiannon has been personally recomended to me by people i very much trust blindly when it comes to adventure games, specially horror ones. Again i played for a while and liked the ambience and atmosphere, even if it is nothing to write home about from a technical standpoint. It also got some interesting reviews in Just Adventure and Adventure Gamers praising the Story and Puzzles but criticizing some other things. Understand i prefer Myst-likes to Pure Adventures, so i am biassed towards first person enviroments with a strong, if not very "on your face" story and hard, if unrelated to the enviroment and plot, puzzles while almost devoid of any character interaction, in all but comedy adventures like Monkey Island and that kind of thing. As far as i saw it had a very Barrow Hill feeling going for it, but seemed much more stylish and polished. The flash advertising, meanwhile, was reminding of "The Ring" in a way, and that was a plus for me: I saw it and had to get the damn game, so maybe i am biassed because of the cool, creepy, little advertising of cute stalking evil-looking ghost girl in a dress.

Of Dead Space, again, i saw no more than a part since i only play horror games at night and now my schedule will make that one a little hard for a while since my lady and my friends have all changed their owl-like lives, and mine indirectly, for the time being. It seemed ridiculously pretty, but i am not graphic whore and most games i never put beyond 1024x768 anyway, even if i could. What little i played i played on hard right from the start, so the few but though monsters, scarce ammo, slow aiming, and precise shooting gameplay where be very tense and absorving. It actually managed to surprise and make me jump once or twice, but i was still fresh to the game so i was not familiar with the thingies and their attitudes. The stupid "sizes" on the only female character i saw so far are a definite minus in my book and do not promise much in the vein of maturity, but then i am quite a prude when not roleplaying the morbid degenerate so your mileage may vary. It is the one game i was most unsure to recomend, thus the question mark and all that, but a girl i know, one of those individuals who has very a good taste in horror games i mentioned before, in a particular scene screamed to the point of almost leaving me deaf while we were testing it, so that counts as somewhat of a plus. She has a very screeching voice, though, so make that a very subjective, painful, almost literarily mind-blowing plus.

The Awakened was... ummm... going through the motions, mostly. Many people liked it and was "shocked" by some horror scenes, but the horror element was very downplayed and never managed to shock me or surprise me, and at the same time never came as subtle or ambiguous - You always knew there was something out-of-this-world and crazy going on, and at the same time it never came as urgent or menacing... More like "sedate". While i love both supernatural elements and horror, and also like the character of Sherlock Holmes, it never seemed either part was played to their full extent. I also can't remember any hard puzzle that wasn't a matter of finding some partially hidden hotspot and then fiddling with it and others until the game breaked and cried, and the endgame seemed grotesque for the sake of being grotesque and throwing some gore and blood and bodies around. Not very elegant or mysterious at all, what seems strange when we are talking about Holmes and Victorian England.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Does it have to be recent? You said you played TLJ, so... what about Dreamfall? Not as good, but still pretty good in its own right.

I haven't played it yet (got it, not yet installed, trying to get through SoZ first), but how about Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals? The JA review doesn't exactly praise it with great praise, of course, but I've seen the movie and glimpsed a bit of the graphic novel and enjoyed both--the screenshots seem to suggest that, if nothing else, the game's art style is pretty damn excellent.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Dreamfall never called to me after I read a disillusioned rant by someone here I think (Whitemithrandir?) about there being no game there.

I've been perusing Just Adventure and wonder if anyone has anything good/bad to say about the AGON series?

So, are there any good Holmes games then. For some reason I thought Awakened was considered quite good when it was released, but I forgot all about it until my latest quandary.

Oh, and this is an amusing read:

http://www.justadventure.com/articles/S ... Jul28.shtm

Hazelnut said:
So, are there any good Holmes games then. For some reason I thought Awakened was considered quite good when it was released, but I forgot all about it until my latest quandary.

The one new Sherlock Holmes game i really liked was The Silver Earring. It is very atmospheric, it has a very cool feature in which between chapters you discuss with Watson and Lestrade what did you find so far and must answer a series of questions correctly for the game to continue, and some pretty hard logic puzzles every now and then. The game has some hardcore pixel hunting, but it is understandable given the character.

A friend of mine also liked the Sherlock Holmes Vs Arsene Lupin one, but i haven't played it myself so i can't say for real. And the "mummy" one, the first one of the new Sherlock Holmes games, was puzzle heaven, even if it didn't felt so much as Sherlock Holmes since you spent very few time investigating and a whole lot of time solving diferent, at times unfairly hard, brainteasers.

And do not take it as saying The Awakened was awfully bad, though. It didn't resonate with me, but many people think it is pretty good - Research a bit on those sites i mentioned and compare both viewpoints, maybe it would work for you. Also, they just released a special edition with extra things, a couple reworked puzzles, diferent camera options, and the like. Maybe some of my gripes with the game are solved in this new one.

aries202

Erudite
There are many great adventure games out there:

Overclocked - a history of violence is one of them.

Awakened - a Sherlock Holmes game or Sherlock Holmes vs. Arsene Lupin is good, too.

The AGON sereis are very nice; the first three ones comes in a compilation; the fourth one, The Lost Sword of Toledo, is a stand-a-lone game which is fairly lengthy. It also requires you to be have a good ear as there are some music puzzles in it.

Belief and Betryal, I find very good too. But you must be a fan of plots that involve strange religious cults; the Templars etc. etc.

If you woud like a game set in Wales (as you're in the UK), there's also Rhiannon - Curse of the four Branches. I wouldn't call it a traditional horror adventure; I would probably go for Lost Crown instead. Rhiannon also has tied to the flower-power past. And best of all and something people at the codes would or should like: reading is the best. And by that I mean there's a lot of reading to be done in the game. You must read every note, every book and solve the puzzle yourselves. It is a ghost story....but with an interesting twist...that has (deep?) roots in the mythology of Wales folk culture...

Here's a link to gameboomer's review for Rhiannon:
http://www.gameboomers.com/reviews/Rr/R ... remlin.htm

If you're fan of science fiction there are two games out there; Nikopol and Perry Rhodan where Perry Rhodan is a traditionally science fiction adventure where you solve problems and such. Nikopol's setting is the future; you play as a character that is in search of his father... (sound familar? I think so...)

Dead Space could also be a possibility; It certainly has gotten great reviews. Or what about Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Even I like it (I've played the demo) and I usually don't like FPS games...

aries202 said:
Perry Rhodan

I just installed and tested that one. The prologue video is so bloody stylish...! From what i did read it has a very nice and long plot - But not having read the Perry Rhodan books, and in fact not even knowing they existed until the reviews of the game mentioned them, it may be a little tough understanding things in the begining. What little i know so far from researching a bit on the 'net and reading reviews is intriguing, since i am sucker for extensive, very developed, crazy Sci Fi universes.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Sam & Max Season 1+2 both came out on DVD fairly recently, they're pretty good

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom