Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help me make/design a game

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I need ideas for my ex tempore game. What I mean with that latin shit is that I don't really plan for something ahead during development - I just put ideas and shit in there. On the fly. It's how cool people do it. Fuck design documents.
This is made possible because I'm using some fucking kids' development tools (but hey you can basically do anything with it so whatever) - Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer. There's basically no programming and there's an (excellent, really) built-in pixel--drawing tool thingy so you can draw shit really easily and animate and just have things happening in seconds.

The game is (will be) a strategy/management/simulation/RPG thing. The idea was first to make something like Majesty, but involving just a single building. Like a "defend the stronghold"-sim type of game. SimStronghold. But then the ideas started piling up.

Here are some of those ideas:
~No general experience levels for the characters, only individual skill levels for each character. So you could have one character being a God at mining gold, but maybe he's useless when it comes to defending the stronghold.
~Either no character death or permanent character death. Haven't decided. Game over when the stronghold falls or when your coffers are dried up and you starve.
~A tax system in which you can refuse to pay the tax, but would then have to face the consequences. The consequences being a (strong) raid party being sent off to fuck your stronghold up. If you survive, they will keep sending troops that will get stronger and stronger until you must pay like 80% of all your gold something for being a dick.
~Random events. "Fucko no.3 was out hunting and he found some fucking sword or something whoooope". Items are pretty important as you only have a combat skill, defending skill and then the stats from the items.
~However you characters can only do certain things for a certain length of time before they get tired and need to rest. Also, certain activities are more rewarding during certain months/time of the year.
~Watching the screenshot below I'm thinking you should probably be able to name your characters.
~Oh, the green bars for each character displays fatigue or something. Not HP or anything like that.

I have a basis I've been working on. It looks like this:
dickhitler.png

The game plays in fullscreen so all the small shit is a lot clearer in reality. And the sprites took me 5 seconds each to draw so nothing's final here.
This is a mockup of how I'm thinking stuff could be placed and how shit would work:
hitler.png

Now to the fucking point
I want ideas for things to put in this game here. Think of it like a "let's make a game!" thread or some shit. As long as it's not too fucking bizarre. Events, character traits, goals, item names, shit like that. Hell if you want to contribute with art/music/sound/story feel fuckin free.

denizsi

Arcane
Go play Haven and Hearth for a while. Observe it well. Copy every aspect. Add rape, slavery and cannibalism. Add multi headed dicks roaming the wilds. Add mating, resulting in the offspring to have the best abilities of both parents, playable by anyone who gets the password that's determined by the parents upon birth.

Micmu

Magister
denizsi said:
Go play Haven and Hearth for a while. Observe it well. Copy every aspect.
...except for the shittiest client and most unreliable server in existence of all MMOs

Fens

Ford of the Llies
add wildlife that gets scared and doesn't go all kamikaze as soon as someone shows up in its agro circle

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Rape, slavery and cannibalism sounds good. Especially slavery. The rest were really fucking shitty ideas, but thanks for trying.

Can't be arsed to add turn-based. Maybe have the player only being able to do an x amount of stuff per month (in-game of course).

Pansy wildlife, yeah maybe, but it's like at the bottom of the priority list.

denizsi

Arcane
Combat:

- You can enter combat with a player only if both of you are close enough.

- Players in combat can't free-move. They're locked in place until either breaks away (ie. escapes), either changes place during combat (to maybe trap or lure the other one towards some place) or both players stop fighting.

- When you enter combat with a player, you both choose an action (like a combat move) every 3-5 seconds. You have that much time to make a decision until the it hits 0.

- Then, depending on which player chose what, dices are rolled, stat/skill checks made, bonuses/penalties received and hits/misses dealt.

- If both players choose no actions during their turn, combat will be aborted when the turn is carried out. If only one player chooses an action and the other doesn't (other's choice may not register due to lag, or may lose connection), the turn will be repeated. If the unresponsive player doesn't choose an action again, combat will be aborted, the unresponsive player will be made to walk a few tiles away in a random direction away from the opponent and will be forced into AFK state.

- You can not attack/enter combat with an AFK player. I'm all for PVP, including murder in sleep, but going AFK is a whole different beast. If you're killed in your sleep, perhaps you shouldn't be sleeping in such an easy place to access, or maybe if you did something to make people want to kill you in your sleep, you should hide and take certain measures against it, but ultimately deserved it. But AFK happens. It can be out of your control. You might be at work, with your boss or customers breathing down your neck so you can't alt-tab back into the game.

- To break away from combat, you must choose it as an action (something like "Flee") in combat.

- Unless the attacker intentionally makes a move to prevent you from fleeing (like, for instance, a "grapple" move on you or your weapon, which you automatically roll against), you always can run from combat when the turn is carried out (ie. the timer hits 0). The reason for this is to prevent noob murders and to prevent making it a pain in the ass to play the game just because you're being attacked. Everyone should have a fair chance of at least trying to escape.

- 3-5 seconds never change, it's there to make the combat reasonably turn-based, but players can consent to speed it up, as in, you choose your moves, hit Go. Turn is carried out if the other player also hits Go before the timer runs out.

- As your skills rise, you get to choose multiple actions per turn and receive small bonuses to rolls.

- Facing more than one opponent is an invitation to get raped. Unless you're reasonably high-skilled compared to the other two, they will rape you.

- If you are very highly skilled, you can choose multiple actions per turn (probably just one for each of the two opponents and an additional one to make a non-offensive move at very high levels). Still, if the opponents are also highly skilled and they each select 2-3 moves against you, say goodbye.

- There should be slightly different mechanics on this for large scale (3 vs 3 and up) battles.

- There could be some guess work and anticipation play during combat. Ie. You are in combat. In addition to what action you will choose to perform, you can also choose what action your opponent will choose. If you guess it correctly, lots of bonuses to you, and lots of penalties to your opponent, for that immediate turn. Ultimately, this could make personal duels with the same people very rewarding, learning their style of fighting and trying to dominate the other that way.

- Need to think about ranged combat.

- I'm your combat consultant from now on.

- If you think these ideas suck, go suck a fuck.

denizsi

Arcane
Non-combat actions in combat can include:

Grapple - to physically restrict someone. If you succeed, you can attempt to tie him (in the hands, feet, neck) if you have rope, locks or cuffs, or rape him. This is vital for enslaving players. You can also rape after you tie a player.

Grapple weapon - to disarm OR gain an opportunity attack in the form of restricting/disabling your opponent's choices for the next turn and giving him penalties for whatever choices he has left while receiving bonuses yourself for whatever choices you have

Unbalance - Push him, make him tip and fall down or anything similar in abstract that would unbalance him to give you an advantage in attacking the next turn, or a headstart for running away like a coward.

Additionally, for very high skilled players, the guesswork I mentioned above could be tied to skills:

- Both players chooses their actions and click Go (or whatever) to play out the turn.

- If you have so high skills and maybe perks or whatever it takes stat-wise, that you could tell what your opponent was going to do or that you saw his hand, have lightning reflexes and so you can counter-attack in response, the turn is prolonged by an additional 3-5 seconds to show you the action your opponent has chosen and to let you change your attack according to the attacker.

- Obviously your opponent will notice if you get such an opportunity, and he will be forced to watch in futility. UNLESS, he also is skilled enough to see your original choice so he also receives an opportunity turn to change his attack. If you both received opportunity turns, you may never know if the other received it at all, so when it's a match of skills, this is some sick fun shit.

- This can be further coloured up by making it a little more tricky: The first time you get to receive an opportunity attack, you're shown 3 actions, one of which your opponent has chosen. It's stats + guesswork. Further you improve your skills, you get %50, and further up, the exact action your opponent picked.

- However, some actions are without "equals", as in, even if you, at your current skill level, should get 3 possibilities of what your opponent has chosen, you get only 2 because there is only one other action that is similar to the one your opponent has chosen.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Romancing... Yeah, won't be more advanced than Pirates! in that case. It's nothing I'd spend time on fixing right now.

No wizardry at all yet and it might just stay that way.

Some good ideas for combat however some of them wouldn't work in the "automated" setting I was thinking the game would have. With combat I was thinking of something like when you sent your heroes in Majesty to destroy a monster den. Nothing much more advanced than that. I will try and have the player have some sort of impact on combat however (other than character development).
Maybe there could be some way of dueling Lords and other fuckos around your land for women and gold - then I'd spend more time developing a more advanced combat system with more player interaction. But that's for way later.

Elzair

Cipher
What you REALLY need for a good game is to make some advertisements featuring HAWT chicks. It worked for the makers of Evony!

evony-lover.jpg

3.jpg

evony-ad-6.jpg

Evony-advertisement.jpg

civony-evony.gif

denizsi said:
Combat:

- You can enter combat with a player only if both of you are close enough.

- Players in combat can't free-move. They're locked in place until either breaks away (ie. escapes), either changes place during combat (to maybe trap or lure the other one towards some place) or both players stop fighting.

- When you enter combat with a player, you both choose an action (like a combat move) every 3-5 seconds. You have that much time to make a decision until the it hits 0.

- Then, depending on which player chose what, dices are rolled, stat/skill checks made, bonuses/penalties received and hits/misses dealt.

- If both players choose no actions during their turn, combat will be aborted when the turn is carried out. If only one player chooses an action and the other doesn't (other's choice may not register due to lag, or may lose connection), the turn will be repeated. If the unresponsive player doesn't choose an action again, combat will be aborted, the unresponsive player will be made to walk a few tiles away in a random direction away from the opponent and will be forced into AFK state.

- You can not attack/enter combat with an AFK player. I'm all for PVP, including murder in sleep, but going AFK is a whole different beast. If you're killed in your sleep, perhaps you shouldn't be sleeping in such an easy place to access, or maybe if you did something to make people want to kill you in your sleep, you should hide and take certain measures against it, but ultimately deserved it. But AFK happens. It can be out of your control. You might be at work, with your boss or customers breathing down your neck so you can't alt-tab back into the game.

- To break away from combat, you must choose it as an action (something like "Flee") in combat.

- Unless the attacker intentionally makes a move to prevent you from fleeing (like, for instance, a "grapple" move on you or your weapon, which you automatically roll against), you always can run from combat when the turn is carried out (ie. the timer hits 0). The reason for this is to prevent noob murders and to prevent making it a pain in the ass to play the game just because you're being attacked. Everyone should have a fair chance of at least trying to escape.

- 3-5 seconds never change, it's there to make the combat reasonably turn-based, but players can consent to speed it up, as in, you choose your moves, hit Go. Turn is carried out if the other player also hits Go before the timer runs out.

- As your skills rise, you get to choose multiple actions per turn and receive small bonuses to rolls.

- Facing more than one opponent is an invitation to get raped. Unless you're reasonably high-skilled compared to the other two, they will rape you.

- If you are very highly skilled, you can choose multiple actions per turn (probably just one for each of the two opponents and an additional one to make a non-offensive move at very high levels). Still, if the opponents are also highly skilled and they each select 2-3 moves against you, say goodbye.

- There should be slightly different mechanics on this for large scale (3 vs 3 and up) battles.

- There could be some guess work and anticipation play during combat. Ie. You are in combat. In addition to what action you will choose to perform, you can also choose what action your opponent will choose. If you guess it correctly, lots of bonuses to you, and lots of penalties to your opponent, for that immediate turn. Ultimately, this could make personal duels with the same people very rewarding, learning their style of fighting and trying to dominate the other that way.

- Need to think about ranged combat.

- I'm your combat consultant from now on.

- If you think these ideas suck, go suck a fuck.

Ahh, so players should be able to game the system by starting fights, then afk-ing out if they start losing. Heck, then they can even heal up and attack the same guy as before, and hope the rolls favour them that way. Why care about levels or skills when you can just keep going afk every time you start losing?

Sounds great to me:)

denizsi

Arcane
You know what, fuck you. I'm the only person who gave any thoughtful ideas in this thread and you had to respond with an insult. I guess I should have known better than to try to give you any advice. Ungrateful piece of shit.
source: rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=974193&highlight=#974193 LOL I've been wanting to use this for a while now
Out of all the things I wrote, make fun of the weakest chain that doesn't even deal with combat mechanics but only to minimize fuck ups due to inevitable shittiness of internet connections/network code?

Go suck a fuck. If you think the rest of it sucks too, I'd like to know it and the why.

If healing is a slow process, as it is in HnH, which it should, then there's no "Voila! you're healed!". So if a losing character runs away, it would be fairly easy to run after him and kill him if you so insist on it. If someone's so willing to escape being delivered to his fate by another player, he or she can always log out instantly and then log in when it's safer to do so, or login somewhere else if that's an option, like in HnH. So with those in mind, a 2 turns long safety buffer for those who are being fucked by their connections or real life, is a pretty moderate solution, wouldn't you agree?

Oh by the way, you also have to have beheading, so you can display trophies in the game, or use them to send warnings to players. Maybe you can even write a message on a parchment and stick into the head's mouth.

Now thinking about it, you should also have the ability to skin people as well. At least their scalps.

Also, amputation.

I'm tempted to go my own MMO-development route with Unity engine. Anyone up for a collective Codex MMO?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
This is not an online game you fucking retard.

Evony ads are so fucking hot *fap*

denizsi

Arcane
Well, fuck it, then. Any network programmer around here? Network code is about the only thing I can't undertake on my own.

Still, the "guess-work" in the combat model I proposed here is based on an earlier model I've suggested for a single-player game, as a dumbed down and stream-lined adaptation of my previous musings, which I can't seem to find now.

SP or MMO, it's still a rock-solid idea in my opinion, to make the combat more interesting, entertaining and characteristic.

edit: here, I found it

Elzair

Cipher
denizsi said:
Well, fuck it, then. Any network programmer around here? Network code is about the only thing I can't undertake on my own.

Still, the "guess-work" in the combat model I proposed here is based on an earlier model I've suggested for a single-player game, as a dumbed down and stream-lined adaptation of my previous musings, which I can't seem to find now.

SP or MMO, it's still a rock-solid idea in my opinion, to make the combat more interesting, entertaining and characteristic.

edit: here, I found it

http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/

Elzair

Cipher
Zed said:

Yes, because using sex to sell shit only works if it can be played in a web browser!

Idiot.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Elzair said:
Zed said:

Yes, because using sex to sell shit only works if it can be played in a web browser!

Idiot.
The first paragraph was in response to denizsi, not you. Hence the fucking use of paragraphs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom