Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help remembering title of 4x game..

GroupHugz

Novice
So I have it in my mind that there was a 4x game in the late 90's/early 2000's where one of the features was that you could trade land with an AI opponent. For example, you would contact them via the diplomacy screen, then mark off which part of land you wanted. They tell you how much they would take for this are of land. It's not the "trade city" option that most 4x games have, but just for an opponent's territory.

At first I thought it was Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri but after re-playing it a bit tonight I don't think that's the case.

Maybe I'm just imagining all this???? Anyone know of the game I'm talking about?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Can you tell any more details, like what kind of setting or combat system did the game have?

GroupHugz

Novice
Turn-based combat for sure. I am pretty sure it was sci-fi...that's why I originally thought it was Alpha Centauri but it could have been another setting...it's been 12 years or so since I remember playing it so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Definitely not Deadlock. Although I did enjoy that game back in the day. The land trading feature was what stood out the most to me.

Heck, even if no one can help me find this mythical game I'm thinking of I'll take suggestions of 4x games where you can trade land in the game. hah!

Check here? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_4X_video_games

EmoBunny

Savant
Call to Power? I've never played them, so I don't know their features.

Marobug

Definitely not Deadlock. Although I did enjoy that game back in the day. The land trading feature was what stood out the most to me.

Heck, even if no one can help me find this mythical game I'm thinking of I'll take suggestions of 4x games where you can trade land in the game. hah!

Check here? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_4X_video_games

There's some pretty epic shit on that list. I had completely forgotten about Fragile Allegiance.
:bro:

mondblut

Arcane
you're in luck if you want to relive the good old times, GoG...

mp.jpg

mondblut

Arcane
He's too edgy for GOG.

I am just annoyed with the "if not for GoG, you'd never be able to play it" fanboi rhetoric. It's beyond retarded.

If you want to pay to fill up your virtual shelf with jpegs, or are too stupid to configure dosbox, that's fine. But stop treating the rest of the Kodex as stupid savages to sell glass beads to, it offends me. Kthxbye.

There are a few conditions under which I'll buy a game from GoG.

1) I don't own it already and the developers receive some jewgold.

2) There's a new patch i.e. Divine Divinity, Arx Fatalis

3) The game is a fucking ordeal to get working on a modern OS
i) red book audio
ii) win 3.1
iii) disk swapping aggravated by the above

There's also convenience. Personally this is a non-issue for me as I can just archive extracted files and I have shelves for the disks however many. But for others who don't have a secure shelter/vault I can see why they'd want the option to download a DRM free BG2 or whatever.

Marobug

I am just annoyed with the "if not for GoG, you'd never be able to play it" fanboi rhetoric. It's beyond retarded.

No one said that. Some games are impossible to find online, others are a bitch to play with dosbox. Gog is kind of handy, and it's not like they charge 60$ a game and most of the time the original developer gets a fair share.

Marobug

Well in this case he does have a point because I couldn't find a working version anywhere else. When I saw Fragile Allegiance on that list I searched for it everywhere and did find a slow but working torrent, but after losing half an hour tinkering with dosbox, I realized the sound doesn't work on win7. I then went on searching for a solution and after some time I gave up all hope. Then he pointed out it was on gog and bam, 6$ very well spent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom