Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Hero - new RPG from Firefly

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Dungeon Hero; Firefly Studios

<a href=http://www.fireflyworlds.com/>Firefly Studios</a> announced <a href=http://www.heroherohero.com/>Hero</a> - an action RPG set in a rich "Dungeons at War" (TM) setting
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Hero is the first game to take you into a real dungeon, one where a shadowy evil has come to feed on despair. This a dungeon at war - not a place with bags of gold just lying around!
<br>
<br>
Master melee, ranged and magic skills and 'close combat' a totally new, brutal mode of fighting as you battle your way through vast crowds of monsters. Fight alone or have a friend drop in to survive - and maybe even save - the darkest society imaginable!</blockquote>Why do they keep making those action RPGs? How many people read this crap and thought "Wow! I sure like to master melee and close combat skills and battle my way through vast crowds of monsters! I'm so excited that I will start a fansite!"?
<br>
<br>

dagorkan

Arbiter
Why do they keep making those action RPGs?

Why do some people like strawberry icecream and some like vanilla? Why do some people smoke malboros and some people camels? Why do some people like anal sex and some people vaginal sex?

Why do you cover Action-RPGs? You already know that nobody here cares about them, we would never have heard of most of them if not for you, and that every single one of these games is identical. So what's the point? Group cohesion through collective hatred?

dagorkan said:
Why do you cover Action-RPGs? You already know that nobody here cares about them, that every single one of these games is identical. So what's the point? Group cohesion through collective hatred?
More interesting, why haven't you been re-dumbfucked? You're still sheek and you're still a retard.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Why don't you answer my question? Or answer VD's question (if you're a real idiot)?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
"Master melee, ranged and magic skills and 'close combat' a totally new, brutal mode of fighting as you battle your way through vast crowds of monsters"

They reinvented close combat in a "totally new" way? Spurious.

dagorkan said:
Why do some people like strawberry icecream and some like vanilla? Why do some people smoke malboros and some people camels? Why do some people like anal sex and some people vaginal sex?

That's not the question. Terminator 2 is a good science fiction film, do you want every science fiction film to be Terminator 2? Action RPGs are a genre of RPGs that has its fans...does that mean every RPG should be an Action RPG?

Who knows why VDweller covers them, though. Completion?

dagorkan said:
Why don't you answer my question?
It's been thoroughly answered before, but I'll give it a try, just for the hell of it. First of it's really as simple as this: they do. They cover Action-RPGs. Suck it up.

I can elaborate, and make up some justifications, even if there is no need. This site covers RPGs, more specifically CRPGs. Action-RPGs, while most of the time being bland and boring, are part of the RPG-genre. It's a sub-genre. Like it or not. The fact that most RPGs that come out theese days are Action-RPGs doesn't make it any better. If they weren't to cover Action-RPGs, there wouldn't be much to cover, so to say. Besides, they probably think it's fun to flame them, even if they keep repeating them selves. Just as you keep repeating your self in your flaming of VD or other staff members. Other than that, why the hell should they care what you think about the matter? You are a dumbfuck. If they want to cover Action-RPGs, why do you have a problem with it?

For closure, let me ask you the same question as I did TWD: Why do you keep posting here? It seems kinda masochistic.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Vault Dweller said:
<blockquote>Hero is the first game to take you into a real dungeon, one where a shadowy evil has come to feed on despair. This a dungeon at war - not a place with bags of gold just lying around!
*cough*dungeonkeeper*cough*
Vault Dweller said:
Master melee, ranged and magic skills and 'close combat' a totally new, brutal mode of fighting as you battle your way through vast crowds of monsters.
All those choices! do you think they might make EXTREME melee? because at the moment i definately prefer brutal combat over "no adjective" melee :roll:

Hory

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
How many people read this crap and thought "Wow! I sure like to master melee and close combat skills and battle my way through vast crowds of monsters! I'm so excited that I will start a fansite!"?
You mean like Exitium did with Hellgate?

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
Is the game's publisher really called "Gamecock", or am I just imagining things?

Jed

Cipher
Hory said:
Vault Dweller said:
How many people read this crap and thought "Wow! I sure like to master melee and close combat skills and battle my way through vast crowds of monsters! I'm so excited that I will start a fansite!"?
You mean like Exitium did with Hellgate?
Oh snap, you just beat me to it!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Uz0rnaem said:
Is the game's publisher really called "Gamecock", or am I just imagining things?
Yep, it's a newly created publishing house. Catchy name.

the artist previously known as sheek said:
Why do they keep making those action RPGs?
Why do some people like strawberry icecream and some like vanilla?
I'm well aware that some people like action RPGs, but it seems to me that the ratio of RPG to Action RPG is 100:1. Reminds me of the MMORPG rush when new MMORPGs were announced every week.

Why do you cover Action-RPGs? You already know that nobody here cares about them, we would never have heard of most of them if not for you...
We cover all single-player RPGs. As for the "nobody here cares" part, that's not true. Many people liked Diablo 2, Sacred, Fate; you know, the well done action RPGs.

suibhne

Erudite
Gamecock PR seems to associate the new publisher with roosters, but I think we all know what it really means.

Still, it's a semi-promising idea, basically the second coming of GoD (Gathering of Developers, for those too young to remember :wink: ). It might not have much of an impact on real (non-action) RPGs, just because good RPGs tend to require long development time (or high suckage...), but it's still good to see some possibility for non-blockbuster games produced by non-mega publishers.

As for this particular game...meh. My only hope is that it'll finance more interesting stuff later.

obediah

Erudite
Hero is the first game to take you into a real dungeon,

Sign me up. In hindsight sending an adventurer into a dungeon seems like an obvious hook for rpgs. I'm sort of amazed no one thought of it earlier.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Dementia Praecox said:
For closure, let me ask you the same question as I did TWD: Why do you keep posting here? It seems kinda masochistic.

Keep dreaming loser. Unlike you my life doesn't revolve around harassing strangers... I will continue to post as long as I am interested in RPGs.

elander_

Arbiter
"Hero is the first game to take you into a real dungeon,"

Anyone who never made out of a Daggerfall big main quest dungeon alive in less than 5 days without gear or any kind of equipment, without using magic, teleportation or void walking doesn't have the balls to say that.

Jed

Cipher
dagorkan said:
Keep dreaming loser. Unlike you my life doesn't revolve around harassing strangers... I will continue to post as long as I am interested in RPGs.
Oh my Projection! Are you posting drunk again, Sheek?

Texas Red

Whiner
dagorkan said:
Dementia Praecox said:

Agree with sheek. Demented, do you have some sort of an inferiority complex? Actually, dont answer. For a moment I thought I cared.

dagorkan said:
Dementia Praecox said:
Unlike you my life doesn't revolve around harassing strangers...
I'll refrain from posting my goatse orly-owl (c), as this is a news comments thread. For some reason I think it could have been appropriate as an answer.

The Walkin' Dude said:
Agree with sheek. Demented, do you have some sort of an inferiority complex? Actually, dont answer. For a moment I thought I cared.
Aww, how cute. The dumbfucks stand up for each other.

Oh, and if you think you're clever by calling me Demented, you aren't. Dementia is Demented in latin.

vortexv1

Novice
I m not an action RPG guy. I m not even a fan of Diablo at all.

I want depth, conversations, puzzels, not just clicking monsters to death.

No more Dungeon Siege. BTW that s a game that makes Oblivion a hardcore RPG in comparison.

vortexv1 said:
I m not an action RPG guy. I m not even a fan of Diablo at all.

I want depth, conversations, puzzels, not just clicking monsters to death.

No more Dungeon Siege. BTW that s a game that makes Oblivion a hardcore RPG in comparison.
Wow, instant cred! Hard thing to pull off, but you did it.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
I'm well aware that some people like action RPGs, but it seems to me that the ratio of RPG to Action RPG is 100:1. Reminds me of the MMORPG rush when new MMORPGs were announced every week.

It's because marketing is a bullshit degree and the people who go into marketing in the first place are grade a morons. they're also invariably people who know nothing about whatever field they are actually involved in.

You have to realize by now they think in terms of 'fads' as if games (or any product) are some kind of fashion, which is ridiculous. Hence they will all have to be realtime, or all have to have multiplayer, or all have to go mmo, or all have to be action rpgs, or all have to have elves with big tits - regardless of whether any of these things are wanted or make any sense at all for the game at hand. Of course the real effect is to oversaturate a market and grind it into the ground. Then someone will make a successful game by doing the *opposite* of this mindless bullshit and instead of thinking "Hey, maybe we should stop being morons and just make good games" they then latch onto a few key features and repeat the process like locusts until no one ever wants a game even vaguely like that game any time ever again.

taxacaria

Scholar
'Hero' - most original title.
And what brings Hero? Brutality, fights, hack&slash - most original content.
Just another piece of mainstream shit.
Is every miserable botch called 'RPG' nowadays?

HardCode

Erudite
I think developers need to understand that swords and dungeons don't mean RPG. They should just call it a Fantasy Action Game(tm) - FAG (tm). That would spare them the wrath.

Vault Dweller

Developer
HardCode said:
They should just call it a Fantasy Action Game(tm) - FAG (tm). That would spare them the wrath.
:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom