Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hitman 2016 released on GOG with online-only features, gets review-bombed - now delisted

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gog's CM chimes in (emphasis mine):
Dear GOG community!

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks. In case you have purchased HITMAN and are not satisfied with the released version, you can use your right to refund the game. At the same time, while we’re open for meritful discussion and feedback, we will not tolerate review bombing and will be removing posts that do not follow our review guidelines.

Now watch as the user score (which had dropped to 1.4 in the meantime) will magically rise above 2.0 again.

PS: lol@"we'll be updating you in the coming weeks" :lol:

:dead:

Last edited by a moderator:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
1.4 is not enough. We need to dig deeper.

YSB28vE.png
Alas that I have but one review to give.

ADL

Prophet
Dear GOG community!

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks. In case you have purchased HITMAN and are not satisfied with the released version, you can use your right to refund the game. At the same time, while we’re open for meritful discussion and feedback, we will not tolerate review bombing and will be removing posts that do not follow our review guidelines.

Now watch as the user score (which had dropped to 1.4 in the meantime) will magically rise above 2.0 again.

Fucking bullshit. Reviewing technical aspects of the product you're buying, including DRM, isn't "review bombing"

eCfzQ54.png

What a goddamn joke. They're a PC gaming storefront but you're only allowed to review the game itself, not the technical aspects of the games they're selling.

They're claiming that they will not remove reviews talking about the DRM, only the ones that "go against guidelines" and "spam" which I think is a polite way of saying they will remove the reviews calling them names.

What we meant is that we will not tolerate reviews that are against our review guidelines, for example spam reviews (reviews that are not connected to the game itself). We will not be removing negative reviews, and reviews sharing constructive feedback, of course. I hope this clears things up a bit.

guidelines" said:
What kind of content is considered unacceptable in a review?

Your reviews should be about the game you are writing your review about, constructive and polite. Please refrain from using language that may be considered offensive, inappropriate, or abusive.

Melcar

Arcane
They're claiming that they will not remove reviews talking about the DRM, only the ones that "go against guidelines" and "spam" which I think is a polite way of saying they will remove the reviews calling them names.

What we meant is that we will not tolerate reviews that are against our review guidelines, for example spam reviews (reviews that are not connected to the game itself). We will not be removing negative reviews, and reviews sharing constructive feedback, of course. I hope this clears things up a bit.

guidelines" said:

Your reviews should be about the game you are writing your review about, constructive and polite. Please refrain from using language that may be considered offensive, inappropriate, or abusive.

DRM is a bad word.

racofer

Thread Incliner

guidelines" said:

DRM is a bad word.
The D word.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dear GOG community!

I always find it funny as soon as there is a major problem with a game it's considered review bombing. There is a reason masses of people review your damn game badly. How do you even tell a genuine one from a "false"?

ADL

Prophet
I always find it funny as soon as there is a major problem with a game it's considered review bombing. There is a reason masses of people review your damn game badly. How do you even tell a genuine one from a "false"?
Don't even know what happened to get us here. Not even the usual corporate cocksuckers are involved in enabling this. It seems to be a narrative 100% pushed by "journalists".

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Don't even know what happened to get us here. Not even the usual corporate cocksuckers are involved in enabling this. It seems to be a narrative 100% pushed by "journalists".
Consumers are meant to consoom, shut up and be thankful.

Only journalists are allowed to review and tell you what's ok to consoom.

If consoomers were allowed to review, what would be the point of journalists? Sure, we can compromise and allow them to confirm a journalist's injunction to consoom, but if we were to allow them to be negative, that would undo all the journalists' good work as paid shills, and we can't have that can we?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Dear GOG community!

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks.

And by that they meant: We’re looking into it and will be milking some sales for the coming weeks until y'all forget about this and continue to consoom as usual.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Inflated positive scores are no problem though from people that played the game for like 2 minutes. If you see a score of 80, you can remove 10 to 15 of the score because of early and meme reviews.

image_2021-09-24_201234.png

Example from the game Hell Let Loose.

Not gonna go on with this, just a pet peeve of mine, especially in combination with "review-bombing".

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
If consoomers were allowed to review, what would be the point of journalists? Sure, we can compromise and allow them to confirm a journalist's injunction to consoom, but if we were to allow them to be negative, that would undo all the journalists' good work as paid shills, and we can't have that can we?
Many of the Arts would collapse without paid shills. So they fight to stay alive. It is political and it is personal.

Boleskine

Arcane
Why do these screwups surprise anybody? Every few months GOG botches a release or otherwise pisses off their customers, ignores and downplays the issue, then reluctantly issues a shallow mea culpa. Rinse and repeat.

They most certainly knew of the DRM issue in Hitman but went ahead with the release anyway. GOG has been doing this for years, coasting on the early goodwill they built up while chipping away at their purported pro-consumer principles and testing the waters with one PR disaster after another.

The decline of GOG was evident with the introduction of regional pricing in early 2014. You know, that thing GOG had previously claimed they'd never add to their store.

Moral of the story: never trust and stop supporting the Poles.

https://af.gog.com/forum/general_ar...md_about_regional_pricing/page1?as=1649904300

1Gu9qTC.png

ADL

Prophet
Inflated positive scores are no problem though from people that played the game for like 2 minutes. If you see a score of 80, you can remove 10 to 15 of the score because of early and meme reviews.

View attachment 21023

Example from the game Hell Let Loose.

Not gonna go on with this, just a pet peeve of mine, especially in combination with "review-bombing".
Valve actually encourages this shit with the "funny" button and being able to gift people Steam Points with awards for being "funny".

Boleskine

Arcane
Regional pricing is good.
It's not an argument on the merits or downflals of regional pricing, it's that GOG had listed "no regional pricing" as one of their core pillars since their inception. Then, suddenly it wasn't.

GOG built their business on a lofty pro-consumer, anti-DRM and anti-regional pricing identity for themselves that doesn't really apply anymore. So, it shouldn't surprise people that incidents like this latest one happen. GOG of today is not GOG of 2010.

5 years from now we could be saying: "DRM is good." DRM-free was their most important tenet. One day, it won't be.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Why do these screwups surprise anybody? Every few months GOG botches a release or otherwise pisses off their customers, ignores and downplays the issue, then reluctantly issues a shallow mea culpa. Rinse and repeat.

They most certainly knew of the DRM issue in Hitman but went ahead with the release anyway. GOG has been doing this for years, coasting on the early goodwill they built up while chipping away at their purported pro-consumer principles and testing the waters with one PR disaster after another.

The decline of GOG was evident with the introduction of regional pricing in early 2014. You know, that thing GOG had previously claimed they'd never add to their store.

Moral of the story: never trust and stop supporting the Poles.

Makes the whole FUCK DRM PR stuff extra cringe in retrospect when they just give in as soon as a big title like Hitman turns up on their site.

Codex Year of the Donut
Gog died when they got rid of gogmixes because people were using them to create lists of games not to buy due to various reasons.
Nearly impossible to find shit on their site without those.

They were supposed to be gone temporarily, btw. Funny how that worked out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom