Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News HomeLAN Fed's second best PC game - Freedom Force

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Freedom Force

<b>JCal</b> has put up his <A href="http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=11074">second best pick</a> for 2002, which is <A href="Http://www.myfreedomforce.com">Freedom Force</a>. Here's a taste:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>For a while, it seemed impossible for developers to create a PC super hero game without having it cancelled in mid-development. Finally, Irrational Games mananged to bring its action-RPG Freedom Force to stores in 2002 and it turned out to be the super hero game that PC gamers have been waiting for. The game was inspired by the classic Stan Lee and Jack Kirby Marvel Comics and the robust character generation, the colorful graphics, the "destroy everything" enviroments, the campy (but appropriate) voice action and the powerful but easy-to-use mod tools finally give gamers the chance to not only play super heroes but to make their own stories as well. Freedom Force is the most original and best PC RPG this year and my pick for the second best PC game of 2002.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Well, the character system of <a href="Http://www.myfreedomforce.com">Freedom Force</a> was top notch, I'll grant him that.

Insane-Lark

Novice
I've been looking at that one (Freedom Force) & think it might be worth a playthrough. I was checking it out in development cycle & am hoping they pulled off the *hero* aspects well. I like the fact that apperently almost everything can be destroyed despite the fact that one probably shouldn't do TOO much damage & run afoul of the city. It is on our *To buy sometime* list but not at the top of the stack.

Your comments gave me pause. Is this game worth shelling out $ for or should I wait until it hits the bargain bin? You seem to have given the character generation setup a excellent grade but the lack of comment on gameplay makes me wonder what you thought the weak point in it was? Did I miss a thread somewhere or a review?

All games are on hold for now however as my PC is currently sub par & has misplaced the CD Rom drive. I'd need to obtain new factory load disks for the PC, wipe the drive & reload windows. Tried to re add the drive through C/ & couldn't find it that way either. In the meantime we are just being cautious with the PC (not wanting to give $100 for the load disks for a shitty Compaq). March is new PC month & this one can become a doorstop & the PC games on my list (many of which I've read of here) will be obtained.

Talavar

Novice
It's a really fun game if you're into superheros or silver age comics, but it's not an RPG at all. Tactical strategy maybe, but characters improving over time alone does not an RPG make.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I agree. It's really not a CRPG at all. I guess you could claim it's a super hero dungeon crawler, but that's about as close as it gets. Other than the character system, which is really nice, there's not much to this one.

However, it's great that JCal thinks Freedom Force is a better CRPG than NWN! :D

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Decent game, Freedom Force. Beats NWN hands down, but there's no lasting appeal to it. Once you're through the game the first time and have had a few multiplayer games, you'll probably shelf it. It's definitely not an RPG, but it has lots of great characters. It's worth trying at least once though, so I'll give it that much. It's something to wait for it in the bargain bin, I'd say.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Exitium said:
Decent game, Freedom Force. Beats NWN hands down, but there's no lasting appeal to it. Once you're through the game the first time and have had a few multiplayer games, you'll probably shelf it. It's definitely not an RPG, but it has lots of great characters. It's worth trying at least once though, so I'll give it that much. It's something to wait for it in the bargain bin, I'd say.

Freedom Force felt like a missed opportunity to me. The character system, like I said, was top notch. They did a great job on it. Then they slapped it in a linear combat game, which kind of ruined it for me.

It would have been much nicer if they'd done up a city and had districts that you could freely travel between, crushing evil and picking up clues about the BIG BAD you're going to face.

Another thing I would have liked is if the pre-made Freedom Force guys weren't forced on you. If they want them in the game, fine. Make them NPCs until computer control.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom