Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HoMM V Open beta on Thursday

Section8

Cipher
Huh?

Why an open beta? I'd have thought they're only really appropriate if you need high player populations (MMOGs) or if you can't afford internal testing.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Could be they're pleased with the game and wants some expo - and they can't be bothered to release a demo. A buggy demo wouldn't be as easy to dismiss as not showing the real game, as a buggy beta.

Seriously, I have no clue. But I'm curious to see what Nival's been up to.

Balor

Arcane
Well, HOMM always had strong multiplayer community - and that require Blizzardlike balance.
And that require a lot of testing, in turn.

Section8

Cipher
Well, HOMM always had strong multiplayer community - and that require Blizzardlike balance.
And that require a lot of testing, in turn.

That would reason enough. I've always approached it as primarily single player...

Balor

Arcane
Well, Codex is not exactly a place where multiplayer aspect of gaming is worshipped :).
But, as I see on a HOMM forums - mutiplayer part of Heroes WAS very popular, I'd say more popular then singleplayer... or those who prefer multiplayer over single are more vocal.
However, it makes sense - human I is always more enjoyable to play against them vs AI :).

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Trouble with single player HOMM is it gets boring after some years. :lol:
I´m playing a multiplay game of HOMM3 right now (spending some time at the lovely codex is always good while waiting until it´s my turn again) and it´s really fun. Everybody who played single-only, give it a try.

Balor

Arcane
Btw, everyone heard of WoG mod?
It's really fun stuff.
Almost turns HOMM3 into a different game, it does - expecially the latest version.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Let´s play it in 1-2 years, when betamode is finished and our comps can handle the nice gfx. HOMM3 with all addons is dustbin, 10 eurobucks. HOMM4 (which sucks compared to HOMM3) with addons also.. so what´s the rush..

Atrokkus

Erudite
Questionable mod, if you ask me. Some of its elements are indeed good in multiplayer, but the overall theme, especially story-wise, is pretty fucked-up. I wouldn't dub it an unofficially official addon, if you get my drift.

Balor

Arcane
metallix said:
Questionable mod, if you ask me. Some of its elements are indeed good in multiplayer, but the overall theme, especially story-wise, is pretty fucked-up. I wouldn't dub it an unofficially official addon, if you get my drift.
I don't give a fuck about story. And for some 'questionable' things - you can always turn them off in the options.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Agree, generally. However, I still think that they introduced too many elements into the equation, making balance even harder to reach. Plus, the design is so primitive that it makes me cry laughing.

I've played both ways: with WoG and just with the latest addon, and I liked the latter better.

Balor

Arcane
*shrugs*
I guess you expect too much from modders.
Yet, I find it better with WoG, campain aside.
The 'skill&artifact rebalance scripts' are invalueable, btw.

Jason

chasing a bee
Many people are bitching on the Ubi forums about bugs and general boringosity of the beta. Of course the beta is only multiplayer so it's hard to say how representative it is.
Haven't tried it myself. I'm # 103 out of 278 in the download line right now. Only 93 minutes to go!

Balor

Arcane
Well, people are bitching because it's not really 'full of bugs', as I understand - but mostly because the graphics engine seems to be not fully optimized, and there is massive connection stability problem - it seems like you can hardly stay connected during a battle for more then a half a dozen turns.
Doubt it will affect a 'full' game by a great deal, but yea, better late and good, then early and lame.
Unless you are willing to 'betatest' a 'finished' product :).
Some do, though - think M&B ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom