Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review Honest Gamers love Gothic 3

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Vault Dweller, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Tags: Gothic III; Piranha Bytes

A site called <a href=http://www.honestgamers.com>Honest Gamers</a>* has posted a very positive, but completely useless <a href=http://www.honestgamers.com/systems/content.php?console_id=13&review_id=5166&game_id=22368>Gothic 3 review</a>, giving it 9/10 for being "open-ended gameplay at it's best".
    <br>
    <br>
    <blockquote>Thrusts, parries and blows need to be delivered just right to sneak past the enemy's attack leaving players more used to Oblivion's 'charge in swinging' style a little disorientated. Striding into the sunlight-choked forest with a nasty looking sword slung over my shoulder, I confidently charged at the first boar I saw, pummelled the attack button and swore heavily as it charged through my clumsy swings and slices and bowled me over.
    <br>
    <br>
    These problems can be overcome by learning the battle system employed, investing level-up points in various attack skills or by utilising a better weapon for given foes (for instance, when I took on a boar with the much longer-reaching scythe, they fell with almost insulting ease) but some of the other quirks thrown up in battle are not so easily side-stepped. The smallest of these is the awful grunts of pain you or your foes will release after being struck, often making each battle a veritable concerto of "Oh! Oh! Aw! Oh!" on a constantly repeated cycle. This only adds the what might be the game's biggest flaw; the dreaded stunlock. </blockquote>Well, at least we know that the dreadful boars of death can be defeated.
    <br>
    <br>
    * Credibility check:
    <br>
    <br>
    <a href=http://www.honestgamers.com/systems/content.php?console_id=13&review_id=4339&game_id=7861>Neverwinter Nights - 9/10</a> <i>"As vast and fun as the single-player campaign is...."</i> Riiight.
    <br>
    <a href=http://www.honestgamers.com/systems/content.php?console_id=13&review_id=4916&game_id=19869>Oblivion review - 9/10</a> <i>"The previous game in the series, Morrowind, may have been an excellent game, but it’s not even close to the amazing achievement that is Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion."</i> Like, totally.
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

^ Top  
  2. Claw Erudite Patron

Claw
    Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    So... 9 is the only value in their rating system?

^ Top  
  3. Sovy Kurosei Erudite

Sovy Kurosei
    "This review is on the spot. Trust us. ;)"

^ Top  
  4. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    You get your copy yet VD?

^ Top  
  5. EvoG Erudite

EvoG
    Haha.

Well, 9 through 10...

:D

^ Top  
  6. HanoverF Arcane Patron

HanoverF
    MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    And here I thought the site was called Ho Nest @ Amers

or L 1 one st gamers

^ Top  
  7. Nael Arcane

Nael
    And that's exactly why if I'm interested in a game, I tend to steer clear of big review sites and just peruse forums like these looking for truely honest opinions that aren't influenced by a few dollars under the table to keep their website running. Every review big and small has a certain skew to it obviously, but I generally find that Joe Schmo will tell you exactly what he thinks and not what some editor wants him to say.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine

Volourn
    "I tend to steer clear of big review sites"

What's your idea of 'big rveiew sites' because last i checked this one isn't a 'big review site'. L0LLERZ!

^ Top  
  9. Twinfalls Erudite

Twinfalls
    VOLLERZ!

^ Top  
  10. Nael Arcane

Nael
    Gamespot and IGN. Ya know... the usual suspects :p

Perhaps "Big" was a poor choice of words. What I meant to say was pretty much any site that devotes itself to the review of games. I tend to only trust forums for unbias opinions or word of mouth from someone I trust.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine

Volourn
    Great answer! I LOVE YOU! :oops:

^ Top  
  12. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron Sad Loser

Jasede
    Nael, RUN LIKE HELL. He wears no underwear!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. The_Nameless_Prick Scholar

The_Nameless_Prick
    I put Gothic 3 on the shelf because it doesn't feel COMPLETED! It's like they released a test version out to the public so PB can fix the "issues" with the "current" release of Gothic 3. Hopefully their is a great game burried underneath this bullshit!

^ Top  
  14. Shoelip Arbiter

Shoelip
    Seems like there is so far, and PB is pretty good about making sure their rushed games end up playable.

^ Top  
  15. Monolith Prophet

Monolith
    Well, once again it doesn't seem to make a fucking difference. It's bought anyway. :roll:

^ Top  
  16. jiujitsu Cipher

jiujitsu
    Project: Eternity
    I sure hope they tweek the combat a little. On the other hand it should be difficult enough to cause the bloodvessels in my eyes to burst like Gothic 2 so maybe it's fine.

^ Top  
  17. Twinfalls Erudite

Twinfalls
    Bah.

Eurogamer review.

^ Top  
  18. Balor Arcane

Balor
    Why combat in gothic 2 was tough?
    Vs humans and orcs:
    click, rightclick, click, rightclick untill enemy_health == 0
    Vs monsters
    click, click, click...

Or fireball em to death... like click, click, drink potion, repeat.

^ Top  
  19. Admiral Rimjob POOBUM Arcane

Admiral Rimjob POOBUM
    Did Gothic 1/2 have diabloesque insane amounts of enemies at one time? I'm on a quest to retrieve six ancestor stones from various tombs, and the first one had roughly 100 skeletons to hack through. Only to find the stone gone. Sigh.

^ Top  
  20. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Almost. I'm picking it up from Canada Post tonight.

^ Top  
  21. RadioGnome Invisible Scholar

RadioGnome Invisible
    Nope. There were about half a hundred or so orcs around Old Camp in valley of mines as a "siege", but that's it AFAIR. Usually packs of 1-2 strong enemies, or 3-5 weaker ones. Or 10-15 goblins at once, but they're hardly an enemy.

^ Top  
  22. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    hmmm, i remember holding left mouse to stay focussed on an enemy, then pressing left, right or forward cursor to attack. if your timing was right you were able chain your attacks.
    why are you describing G3 combat and calling it G2(1) combat? i'm really not following you...

^ Top  
  23. Texas Red Whiner

Texas Red
    Is it scary? Going through the tombs and hacking undead and such?

^ Top  
  24. Admiral Rimjob POOBUM Arcane

Admiral Rimjob POOBUM
    The only scary thing is the archers' accuracy. The ones I've been in aren't exactly the claustrophobia-type dark-n-creepy tomb, they're more well-lit, open, Northmanish, two rooms filled to the brim with fucking skeletons, y'know.
    I don't think there are any in the middle country of Myrtana, which is a bit disappointing.

^ Top  
  25. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    They are in this game! :lol:

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.