Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How 2D first person rpg dungeons are rendered(Wizardry, Strange Journey, Bard's Tale...)?

Viata

Arcane
What I mean is this:
DOckyWW.gif
93zVhBa.png

In all those games I can see two to four steps ahead. How this works?
I know that it's a 2D grid for the maze, there's a variable for what direction my character is facing and then the walls are rendered based on what direction my char is facing. But I'm wondering about the steps ahead from where my char is standing. Is this rendered as a single image:
czS4OHa.jpg

Or are various images like this:
1ZfWdEA.jpg

?

Last edited:

Alchemist

Arcane
In most cases I think it was the second option (multiple wall tiles making the scene).
This thread talks briefly about how these tilesets are constructed visually (see the 4th post) :
http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=6685.0
And this PDF document is someone's in-depth analysis of how Eye of The Beholder worked on a programming level:
http://eab.abime.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=27846&d=1297204411

At one point I found the actual tileset images Eye of the Beholder used but can't find it at the moment. I'll look around for that.

I have considered using such a system for my own dungeon crawler, but lately I'm thinking I might just go with true 3D which is much simpler to deal with. There is certainly a visual charm to the 2D method though.

Alchemist

Arcane
I read the two links and thanks, Alchemist. The first one explained my doubt pretty well and the pdf document helped me understand better how the programming works in the game.
Cool - glad to hear it was helpful. I've been looking into this stuff for a while and I'm happy to share what I found.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom