Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How about some reviews?

LCJr.

Erudite
I can understand if your staff is short on cash and publishers not taking you seriously. So how about review some of the freebie's and shareware titles out there?

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Such as? Give me some titles you think we should review. I'm posting Kris' Star Wars: Empire at War review soon (just gotta edit it a bit more) and Shagnak or Deathy or Pat or someone is most definitely gonna do a GalCiv2 review.

As for the "publishers not taking us seriously" bit, hell, I don't even contact the publishers when asking for an interview or whatever. I just email the developers directly, and most of whom I talk to seem to enjoy the site (I know the guys working on UFO: ET do) and that's fine by me.

LCJr.

Erudite
Well of the top of my head I can think of a few freebies.

There's two Steel Panthers the Matrix WW2 era and Camo Workshop&Shrapnel Games Modern Era.

Battle for Wesnoth. I think it'd be a good candidate since a lot of people are put off by the anime style art.

Peoples Tactics. Definite underdog and a very interesting game. PT2 is now in alpha.

IIRC there's a thread buried somewhere on the Codex Strategy forum dedicated to indie games.

Jason

chasing a bee

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I'm writing a review of The Ur-Quan Masters v.050 AS WE SPEAK
-------------------------------------------------
There is just no justice in the world sometimes. In 1990, this little game company called “Toys for Bob” released a neat little space game called “Star Control.” And it was good. Good enough that it warranted a sequel, this time called “Star Control II.” And it was even better. In fact, it was flat-out excellent. So another sequel was inevitable. 4 years later, “Star Control III” was released. And it was shit. In fact, it was so much shit that Accolade dumped the franchise and tried to bury it, hoping it would supress the horror of it and gamers would eventually forget about that silly little Star Control franchise and it’s crappy sequel. And most gamers did. But some never forget.

Toys For Bob also developed a 3DO port of Star Control 2. For those who don’t know, the 3DO is some wacky console released in ‘93 that cost 700 bucks and its best games were ports from other systems. Usually, when your headlining PC ports as the best in your catalogue, you’re in trouble and by 1995 the console was dead and forgotten.

Yet, for the chosen few who actually bought this ill-concieved hunk of plastic, there was some booty to be found. It would seem that the 3DO port of Star Control 2 was in fact better than the original PC version. Inconcievable! It boasted better sounds, crisper graphics, and best of all: full voice-acting. Yes, Star Control 2 on the 3DO was a multimedia masterpiece. But was it worth 700 bucks?

Well, now you don’t have to waste that precious cash to find out because in 2002, Toys for Bob released the 3DO source code under the GPL license and waited for fans to go crazy with it.

Turn out it was the best thing to happen to the franchise.

The Ur-Quan Masters Team has been plugging away for almost 4 years now, porting the superior 3DO version to the PC, and adding in the usual PC features such as more graphical options, higher screen resolutions, all that good stuff. The result? Fantastic.

Of course, when you have such a great game to build off, it’s rather difficult for the end result to be anything other than fantastic.

TO DO: Basic overview of Star Control 2

TO DO: More in-depth look at it’s gameplay mechanics

TO DO: Mention the awesome dialogues and characters

TO DO: Go over the changes in the new version

It really is a gosh-darned shame when a game just isn’t given the attention it deserves. Thankfully, while most people will go on gaming blissfully unaware of this, there’ll be me and others playing The Ur-Quan Masters into the dead of night, and having some of the best gaming you can do.
-----------------------------------------

Yeah.

VasikkA

Liturgist
I think the ones willing to give it a shot are people who played the original SC2(on PC). Having already replayed it once, my question is, is it really that different from the original PC version? There's at least 5 games I'd like to play right now, but I can't because of lack of time. Even more games are currently 'on hold' (Lazarus, RTW:BE, Full Throttle, SS2, list goes on...) and I suspect Oblivion will put the final nail in the coffin for most of those projects.

I guess I could be up for some melee, anyway.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Well, it's not really that different from the PC version but it adds a lot of neat stuff like the voice acting and music and a searchable map. Not a lot of people have played SC2, and I'd recommend playing UQM over it.

Jason

chasing a bee
Technical porting stuff aside, I don't think there's much different from the original. Play SS2 instead if you haven't. Also, download the just released 1.2 final version of Lazarus before you play it. It's got all the bugfixes and new content.
http://www.u5lazarus.com/

S4ur0n27

Liturgist
NL's computer always crashes whenever he tries to write a review.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom