Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How come Doom Infinite hasn't yet be named once in dat ZDoom forum thread?

Gostak

Educated
Last edited:

retardgrand

Novice
One would really expect doom mods to have some level of moderation considering its age, not these adhd, seizure inducing shit like the trailer suggest.

Gostak

Educated
Ye, ye may do that more in-depth later. Currently recovering from Covid ...

• It just plays well (granted the current 0.978.x crop of releases is not the version that I had my most experiences with this)
  • In-game guide for many of its features (be sure to try "scrolling" and "flicking pages" there)
  • Content and uncovering or unlocking stuff via achievements and exploration (feels a bit like Noita here, only here you could prolly easy peek into the code at work)
  • Going for new personal bests is fun to me and every run feels unique
  • Slot machines at Revy's
  • Fun stuff like thumbs up/down, hand palm and middle finger gestures (also affecting the mugshot) just for fun or in streams/ recordings. Or the adorable floppy disk sound! <3
  • "Objective markers" for the progression in the rotation maps (if you do not know the maps by heart these definitely help here and are welcome)
  • overall quality of this piece of Doom modding (should show it right from the beginning)

EDIT: recently I had the mod stay at its main menu for much longer than usual and was surprised the soundtrack showed some more variety and still remained kicking demons' asses
  • It does not feature many "gotchas" like unavoidable stuff you have to die at least once to unfairly. Depending on point of view maybe even none
    (be warned of those damned eye-sentries, their damage capacity is no joke, those rip&tear)
  • Pretty much all of my first clumsy, newbie deaths felt deserved
  • It presents many (albeit many arguably minor) meaningful choices during runs
  • I have not even bothered with the new run challenges yet!

Last edited:

difficultoldstuff

Barely Literate
Ye, ye may do that more in-depth later. Currently recovering from Covid ...

• It just plays well (granted the current 0.978.x crop of releases is not the version that I had my most experiences with this)
  • In-game guide for many of its features (be sure to try "scrolling" and "flicking pages" there)
  • Content and uncovering or unlocking stuff via achievements and exploration (feels a bit like Noita here, only here you could prolly easy peek into the code at work)
  • Going for new personal bests is fun to me and every run feels unique
  • Slot machines at Revy's
  • Fun stuff like thumbs up/down, hand palm and middle finger gestures (also affecting the mugshot) just for fun or in streams/ recordings. Or the adorable floppy disk sound! <3
  • "Objective markers" for the progression in the rotation maps (if you do not know the maps by heart these definitely help here and are welcome)
  • overall quality of this piece of Doom modding (should show it right from the beginning)

EDIT: recently I had the mod stay at its main menu for much longer than usual and was surprised the soundtrack showed some more variety and still remained kicking demons' asses
  • It does not feature many "gotchas" like unavoidable stuff you have to die at least once to unfairly. Depending on point of view maybe even none
    (be warned of those damned eye-sentries, their damage capacity is no joke, those rip&tear)
  • Pretty much all of my first clumsy, newbie deaths felt deserved
  • It presents many (albeit many arguably minor) meaningful choices during runs
  • I have not even bothered with the new run challenges yet!
Mmmm... haha! Thank you so much for mentioning Infinite out of your own free will! This is epic in my eyes and makes all those years of development worthwhile!

I suck at the game myself compared to some epic legends, but I can tell you for sure that it started as an idea from the depths of my heart, trying to mold Doom to be an endless, ever-unique adventure full of surprises and fun.

Also, do mind that the trailer had to be fast paced and ADHD-y for two reasons: it's a sub-2 minute trailer that tries to showcase as much as it can of a roguelike adventure - and - I was clearly out of time and rushing stuff, because of a planned trip abroad. So even if there's fast paced action involved it's definitely not meant to be constant action. Planning and decision making is still a core part of the game.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I can't get it to work.

I unzip a fresh installation of GZDoom 4.10.0 for Windows (my OS) into an empty folder.
I unzip the Doom Infinite-mod into the same folder as GZDoom.
I rename the .pk3-file to shorten it (DoomI.pk3).
I create a batch file which adds the -file command, and have it point to DoomI.pk3.
Doom Infinite loads up.
The minute I press 'Start' I get the following error message:

P_StarScript: Unknown script "ClearUserHUD"
VM execution aborted: array access out of bounds. Size: 8, current index: 8
Called from InfiniteHUD.init at DoomI.pk3:zscript/system/zhud.zsc, line 77

What problem is Doom Infinite having here?

Gostak

Educated
[...]
The minute I press 'Start' I get the following error message:

P_StarScript: Unknown script "ClearUserHUD"
VM execution aborted: array access out of bounds. Size: 8, current index: 8
Called from InfiniteHUD.init at DoomI.pk3:zscript/system/zhud.zsc, line 77

What problem is Doom Infinite having here?
15.8. from DOS:
"Having trouble with the game crashing at start? Run vanilla Doom, reset your crosshair settings to default and try again with launching Infinite, should help! Proper fix after I'm back (this weekend)! Sorry for the trouble!"

On a Moddb comment same: "Reset you cross hair on vanilla, then launch the game game again with the mod!"

I did not run into this myself.

Alternatively might try to adjust the following settings as given in the used ini:
crosshair=7
crosshaircolor=ff 00 00
crosshairforce=false
crosshairgrow=false
crosshairhealth=2
crosshairon=true
crosshairscale=1.0000001192092896
DI_HideCross=false
DI_HideCrossNPC=false

Gostak

Educated

Style over substance would be my guess.

Yes, that must be the reason.
Everyone voted for style over substance mods instead, well that and Doom Infinite Demo only got released this year or so ...
:D

Ash

Arcane
Looks pretty cool. I've just played far, far too much Doom at this point, very much burnt out. Also been playing a lot of awesome roguelites lately, so it would have a lot to live up to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom