Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout How do dialog checks work in Fallout 1/2? What's lockpicking success chance based on?

deuxhero

Arcane
I'm replaying Fallout 2 and I've noticed dialog checks appear to be random, changing between game loads. This seems to apply both to getting a "good" reaction from the same dialog option (telling Whiskey Bob his name means he should be the one providing the booze), and even getting the "advanced" dialog options at all. What's the actual math going on here? What's the size of the "dice" for RNG influence?

Also interested in any other Fallout 1/2 formulas (hit chance, pickpocket, etc.) anyone knows.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I believe all of F2’s non-attribute checks are fundamentally a d100 check vs your skill level, with the d100 check modified by the intended difficulty of the challenge prior to testing vs your skill.

So, for example, an “easy” lock to pick would be a d100 challenge-50 vs your skill. If the modified roll is equal to or less than your lockpick skill, you succeed.

I believe this is similar to GURPS, due to Fallout using gurps throughout much of F1’s development.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom