Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How good is a nvidia geforce 9800 gt for playing pc RPGs?

thotharok

Novice
HI, I am getting a pc that has a nvidia geforce 9800 gt video card (I am stuck getting this pc) will I be able to play the latest pc RPGs? as well as older ones? I dont know when I will be able to upgrade the card, someone told me that the 9800 gt was actualy just a redone 8800gt is this true? so am I screwed as far as gameing?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
So, I have a 6600GT now (and I think it was quite a good card for the money). I want a cheap upgrade - will an 8600GT be OK (=a visible improvwment)?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Elwro said:
So, I have a 6600GT now (and I think it was quite a good card for the money). I want a cheap upgrade - will an 8600GT be OK (=a visible improvwment)?

I believe so. I used to have a 6600 too, later changed it for 7something and now I have 8800. Dunno how the 8600 works when compared to 8800, but I guess it should be something 'similar' and the difference is kind of huge between 6600 and 8800.

Nedrah

Erudite
Elwro said:

A visible improvement, certainly. However, the 8600gt is a lot weaker compared to its contemporary cards than how your 6600gt performed when compared to the 6xxx series. In other words, you are A LOT better off getting either a 8800GT or GTS. GTX is fine but overpriced.
Even if you can't afford the 8800xx range right now, you should really rather save up a bit longer. The 8600 basically was already obsolete in terms of gaming when it was released, while the 8800gt still is a good performer even compared to the 98xx series.

Of course, if your cpu is on the slow side, you might not notice much of a difference between the two cards, as even the 8600 might be bottlenecked. In that case my advise would be to forget about upgrading graphics for now and settling for a decent cpu/more ram, as that will give you more of a performance boost overall and open the door to making a sensible graphics card purchase later on.

Edit: dug up a chart for you. The 8800gt would be somewhere between the 8800gts320 and the other gts - or in other words, up there, slighly below a gtx.

Oh, and OP, your card is even better, so, in case you're really that clueless, in which case that card is wasted on you, don't worry.

uowoyeof.jpg

Herbert West

Arbiter
Get an 8800GT. 9800GT is quite simply a rebadged 8800GT without ANY additions except for +1000 to the name.
But hey, now ITS OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!!!

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Darth Roxor said:
Elwro said:

I believe so. I used to have a 6600 too, later changed it for 7something and now I have 8800. Dunno how the 8600 works when compared to 8800, but I guess it should be something 'similar' and the difference is kind of huge between 6600 and 8800.
There is quite a difference, I changed my 6600GT to 8600GT and I'm quite happy with it, for the price they are selling it right now it's worth it.
Of course, if your cpu is on the slow side...
Bingo.

Nedrah

Erudite
A quick research priced a 8600gt at 80€ while the same place sells a 9800gt for 140€. I'd assume that a 8800gt would be somewhere in between - which means you're looking at an extra 20-40€ for almost twice the performance. Really up to you, I guess, but... No, seriously, find yourself a freaking 8800gt - if you're not going the cpu route, that is ;)

Elwro

Arcane
First, guys, thanks A LOT for the advice.

Second, as for my CPU, it's a single core Athlon 64 3600+ and I'm sticking to it because I don't trust these newfangled multicore devices. (And also I'm not sure whether they work properly with Ubuntu, which is my primary system).

Third, I want an nVidia card with passive cooling. The 6600GT I have and love is a Gigabyte card with a heatpipe. I want to stick to that.

Fourth, I buy my stuff here: http://www.bitcomputer.pl/catalogue.php?category=29

So the problem is the 8800s are more than twice as expensive as the 8600s. Guess I'll wait, then, if you guys say it's worth it. I could afford an 8800, but I don't want to spend a considerable sum on a device I can only use quite rarely since I don't really have time for a lot of gaming anymore.

And yes, hardware prices in Poland are pretty fucked up.

Thanks again, guys!

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Elwro said:
First, guys, thanks A LOT for the advice.
Second, as for my CPU, it's a single core Athlon 64 3600+ and I'm sticking to it because I don't trust these newfangled multicore devices. (And also I'm not sure whether they work properly with Ubuntu, which is my primary system).

Multicore had been working flawlessly on Linux for years.

uhjghvt

Scholar
uhh what linux has been able to use SMP since long before ubuntu existed. maybe ubuntu just didn't enable it in their default kernel

Nedrah

Erudite
My e6750 (an intel dualcore) works just fine in Ubuntu.

Btw - I think dual core cpus really are the sweet spot for gaming right now. You see, every core is powerfull enough to handle even those games that are not yet fully optimized for multiple cores, while the one that isn't being used by the game easily handles all the stuff related to windows, your processes and applications that may be running in the background.
Sadly, I could not find any chart comparing a decent dualcore to your cpu this time - I suspect that may be because they are too far apart in terms of performance, but there may be such a chart out there, I'll edit it in if I manage to find one.

Anyways, and I can't stress this enough: It does not make sense to invest into a 8800gt if you're planning on keeping that cpu. You're basically adding racing tires to your lawnmower - ok, a bit drastic, but you get the picture. I suspect the 8600gt would also be overdimensioned.

So. here's what you can do right now...

1) Fuck it all - save up and get an entirely new pc once you can while you replay good old games. Get a good pc (cpu wise) with a crappy graphics card first, make sure the mainboard is decent. Then add RAM and a graphics card as funds allow. Possibly your best bet, if saving up is your thing. I know it isn't mine.

2) Get a decent cpu. That would mean an Athlon x2 5000+ to make use of a 8600gt or something like my E6750 (which had an awesome price/performance ratio back when I got it) or current equivalent for the 8800gt. However, that also means a new mainboard, and once you go AMD or INTEL there's not really any way back on that one. Still, a good cpu and a decent mainboard won't set you back that much more than a 8800gt. Keep in mind that your ram sticks need to be compatible with the mainboard, too. Oh, and did I mention you'll more than likely need a new power supply unit? That's basically why I kind of lean towards 1.

3) Get the graphics card. There's a good chance you may still need to get a better PSU, but maybe yours is ok - I'd need to know your specs to tell for sure.
Also, make sure you actually have a pci-e slot - I know the 6600gt had an AGP version.
Anyways, as I mentioned before, you may feel better about your lawnmower, but you still need a decent cpu before it behaves like a racing car. Actually, if you insist on keeping your current cpu - I'd propose looking into a 7800xx series card, if you can find those somewhere.

Whichever route you take, feel free to ask if you have any questions or would like some more specific advise.

Edit: Ok, i found one and I "enhanced" it a bit for your viewing pleasure. Yes, I also fear my mad MSPaint skills. Note that these are rough estimations.

dt2t6s2h.jpg

Elwro

Arcane
Nedrah said:
Anyways, and I can't stress this enough: It does not make sense to invest into a 8800gt if you're planning on keeping that cpu. You're basically adding racing tires to your lawnmower - ok, a bit drastic, but you get the picture. I suspect the 8600gt would also be overdimensioned.
That's interesting.

I have an MSI K9N Platinum mobo (AM2 socket). I put 3 GBs of RAM in it last year, because the mobo supports dual core, so I thought that when I'd eventually upgrade the CPU, all other components would remain. (And it really sped up The Witcher.) I could buy an AMD Athlon64 X2 5200+, the cost is similar to the 8600GT card. But it's "either-or". And while I'm sure I'll be able to install the card, I have never installed a CPU myself, I don't even know whether it's difficult or not. Well, maybe it's time to learn.

Would I have to reinstall my OEM Windows XP after changing the CPU?

edit: and thanks for the chart!

Nedrah

Erudite
Elwro said:
Nedrah said:
That's interesting.

I have an MSI K9N Platinum mobo (AM2 socket). I put 3 GBs of RAM in it last year, because the mobo supports dual core, so I thought that when I'd eventually upgrade the CPU, all other components would remain. (And it really sped up The Witcher.) I could buy an AMD Athlon64 X2 5200+, the cost is similar to the 8600GT card. But it's "either-or". And while I'm sure I'll be able to install the card, I have never installed a CPU myself, I don't even know whether it's difficult or not. Well, maybe it's time to learn.

You're in a much more favorable situation than I thought, then. How large is the price difference between that x2 5200+ and something like a 6000+? I'd really love to point you to core2duos, but I guess your MB rules that out. Anyways, CPU installation generally is a piece of cake, but there is some potential for messing up, so you either should read/watch a few guides or have someone who hase done it before with you. Nothing to be afraid of, at any rate. Just don't forget or go overboard with the cooling paste.

Would I have to reinstall my OEM Windows XP after changing the CPU?

edit: and thanks for the chart!

I'd be surprised if you had to... Pretty sure you won't. Assuming you did so in the first place, you might have to activate again, I guess.

Re: chart: you're welcome :) - hope your eyes don't bleed too much, I really didn't check the writing after converting it to jpg. Should have done it outside paint.

Elwro

Arcane
Nedrah said:
How large is the price difference between that x2 5200+ and something like a 6000+?
5200+ costs 239, 6000+ costs 339, 6400+ costs 579. The 8600GT card costs around 200 while the 8800GT is 499.

Judging from the chart, the difference in power between a 5200+ and 6000+ does not seem to be big enough to warrant such a difference in price.

Nedrah

Erudite
Elwro said:
Nedrah said:
How large is the price difference between that x2 5200+ and something like a 6000+?
5200+ costs 239, 6000+ costs 339, 6400+ costs 579. The 8600GT card costs around 200 while the 8800GT is 499.

Judging from the chart, the difference in power between a 5200+ and 6000+ does not seem to be big enough to warrant such a difference in price.

Erm, wait, what kind of currency are we talking about?
Not Euro, right?

Athlon 64X2 5200+ Sockel AM2, 2700MHz, Brisbane Dual-Core, 64bit, 65W, BH-G2, box 64,90 €

Athlon 64X2 6000+ Sockel AM2, 3100MHz, Brisbane Dual-Core, 64bit, 89W, G2
81,90 €

Edit: Oh, right, google tells me you guys don't have it yet? I thought so - my bad :oops:

I suppose a 5200 might be ok'ish, especially if you still are looking at a 8600 later on.

Elwro

Arcane
Yeah, I didn't want to convert it since what was important was the proportion between the price of a 5200+ and 6000+.

Nedrah

Erudite
Right... actually, I just had a look at that chart again, the difference between the two actually is more significant that it looks at first - and it'll definitely mean the difference between smooth sailing and lagfest later on. Really depends on what gpu you plan on adding.

Elwro

Arcane
Just to be sure I understand: "the difference between smooth sailing and lagfest later on" is the difference between a 6000+ + 8800GT and an 5200+ + 8600GT? Or do you mean something else?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom