Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware How to make indies like terraria, starbound, broforce...?

Destroid

Arcane
If that were true there wouldn't be thousands upon thousands of games performing just fine while running in a managed environment.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
ITT thread topic hijacked by Aspergers.
1.jpg

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Let's ignore whether programmers are aspergers.

Thing is, even My First RPG Maker Lite involved programmers. Who wrote the code.

You're not even funny, why try so hard to begin with?

If that were true there wouldn't be thousands upon thousands of games performing just fine while running in a managed environment.

Run a heap profiler, and a CPU profiler. No need to trust me, facts speak for themselves.

Even games written in languages with automatic memory management use native code parts. That's not due to inferior or nonexistent vectorization of the .NET/MSIL jitter, even MSVC++ since recently didn't vectorize right. That's not due to non-standardized C++ name mangling. That's not due to OS APIs being unaccessible, as .NET has easy FFI that they call pinvoke. Even sites hoarding pinvoke trash written by hindus. Even win32 COM accessible through .NET maybe even easier and safer than through C++.

Whether drones writing C++ games (larger job market, makes programmers cheaper and more replaceable) could use C# (or F#, i cry in terror) without being trained and retrained like blonde secretaries is another thing though...

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Double-posting due to edit time limit.

If there's 60 Hz, it's great! Even turn on vsync. But then, there's some task that needs to complete before frame submission. It takes different amounts of time each frame, by a large margin.

16.6666666000 ms average per frame to reach 60 Hz. So this task (let it be the goddamn garbage collector) spends 4ms every fourth frame doing shit we don't even care about or may not know the goddamn GC exists. That is, 4 ms on average. Could spend 60 ms on just one frame a second. So 3 frames spacing, unlike other frames.

You'll notice that. And it plays like shit.

GCs are better in certain workloads [1] and worse in others [2]. That's another subsystem compared to C++. GC needs an allocator anyway. It doesn't replace any elements of the C++ runtime in particular, other than making smart pointers obsolete etc.

It's true that GC greatly reduces memory errors and other beginner mistakes. Though C++ programmers need to familiarize themselves with _proper_ workflow of using pointers, etc. And that means shared pointers, weak pointers, knowing that and _why_ circular references break their shit. Code needs to use idiomatic constructs anyway not to make readers and contributors cringe and scratch their head ("what the fuck did the guy think? was he high or just a retard?").

[1] Like consing trash that's soon discarded. Even then though, GC could greatly affect software's performance. one-fifth or even fourth of software that computes stuff, not merely listening for events, is too much. Use APPEND like a rabbit on a mission in a Common Lisp project, hire a bodyguard for your own good. Popular languages have similarly bad non-destructive operators.
[2] Memoization, or actually any instance of keeping stuff too long or forever, after program start, shits on performance with a violent diarrhea. At least in generational GC, which are p. much state-of-the-art. Shit has to go through all the generations until it hits the zeroth one. One can remove stuff after program start from the generational "nursery" (smells like incest) to ease the burden of the poorly-chosen language and its worthless implementation, but won't help the unsuitable workload anyway.

Fucking phone.

D/dalvikvm(26506): GC_FOR_ALLOC freed 8191K, 52% free 10832K/22535K, paused 122ms, total 122ms
D/dalvikvm(26506): GC_FOR_ALLOC freed 8189K, 52% free 10834K/22535K, paused 61ms, total 61ms
D/dalvikvm(26506): GC_FOR_ALLOC freed 8194K, 52% free 10832K/22535K, paused 143ms, total 143ms
D/dalvikvm(26506): GC_CONCURRENT freed 6K, 52% free 10832K/22535K, paused 14ms+5ms, total 61ms
D/dalvikvm(26506): GC_FOR_ALLOC freed 8192K, 52% free 10832K/22535K, paused 157ms, total 157ms
D/dalvikvm(26506): GC_CONCURRENT freed 7K, 52% free 10832K/22535K, paused 14ms+5ms, total 53ms

Last edited:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Let's ignore whether programmers are aspergers.

It's not the programmer-speak in your posts that tipped me off. You're the guy who comes to a party, feels lost, and starts reading a prolonged lecture about astronomy to an increasingly uncomfortable passer-by who casually mentioned owning a pair of binoculars.

I'm not your enemy. I understand why you do what you do. It's how you function best. But by becoming aware of what you're doing, you can also very lightly nudge yourself toward increasing flexibility. It will improve your quality of life... somewhat.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
This workshop thread pertains to game-making. Also you're projecting on at least 2 counts.

Farage

Arcane
Patron
Jesus christ guys.
Box2D.
They use Box2D.

Except for Broforce, they use Unity. Which is ideal for a no brainer scripting (doesn't require heavy logic)

desocupado

Magister
What's wrong with XNA? I know that it's not being updated anymore, but ain't what's left solid?

I worked with SDL a bit, and I wanted to learn another framework, and I was thinking of XNA...

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Jesus christ guys.
Box2D.
They use Box2D.

Except for Broforce, they use Unity. Which is ideal for a no brainer scripting (doesn't require heavy logic)

Unity 'scripting' is still programming with general principles.. Not really No-Brainer.. and I think unity is a great place to start.. Or using Mono.. You get cross platform support fairly easily and Mono Games libraries are pretty good for 2D Games..

To OP:
If your 'partner in crime' is a developer of any merit he should have at least a passing concept of these technologies and jumping in should be a minimal effort as opposed to rolling an engine from scratch.

What's wrong with XNA? I know that it's not being updated anymore, but ain't what's left solid?

I worked with SDL a bit, and I wanted to learn another framework, and I was thinking of XNA...

It's not cross platform.. Mono is the 'alternative' (it actually builds on XNA 4) to XNA which is not only cross platform but has much better performance and is still being actively developed today by the open source community.

If C# was your target technology for making a game.. definitely go with Mono. http://www.monogame.net/

Farage

Arcane
Patron
Not saying Unity is easy, but it is easier than box2d++/box2dAS3
Dragging objects in screen is nothing compared to dealing with the API via pure code.

desocupado

Magister
Jesus christ guys.
Box2D.
They use Box2D.

Unity 'scripting' is still programming with general principles.. Not really No-Brainer.. and I think unity is a great place to start.. Or using Mono.. You get cross platform support fairly easily and Mono Games libraries are pretty good for 2D Games..

To OP:
If your 'partner in crime' is a developer of any merit he should have at least a passing concept of these technologies and jumping in should be a minimal effort as opposed to rolling an engine from scratch.

It's not cross platform.. Mono is the 'alternative' (it actually builds on XNA 4) to XNA which is not only cross platform but has much better performance and is still being actively developed today by the open source community.

If C# was your target technology for making a game.. definitely go with Mono. http://www.monogame.net/

What's developed in mono that's not in XNA4? Other than cross plataforming?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
2012 called, XNA got obsoleted, not developed anymore either.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Jesus christ guys.
Box2D.
They use Box2D.

To OP:

If you really have an interest in it.. go to the link. If I was going to sum it up in a quick verbage..

Improved API - More simple to use and get working and less dependant on Microsoft abstractions
Improved Performance
Improved Modularity
Added features like -proper- Anti-aliasing and more control over your pipelines for rendering
Uses the GPL more efficiently

I am sure the list goes on, I am not an expert on XNA before it was discontinued or what it's capabilities were.. but Mono is shaping up to be a very powerful library whereas XNA was a niche product for peddling shitty games on Xbox Live..

J1M

Arcane
Having made myself familiar with both XNA and what is available through mono game I need to call bullshit. XNA is a superior API and monogame is still missing fairly important pieces of .NET 4.0.

It's a little silly to suggest that mono is some form of original work, when it is primarily an attempt to make as many XNA APIs as possible cross-platform. The work of a brick layer, not an architect.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Having made myself familiar with both XNA and what is available through mono game I need to call bullshit. XNA is a superior API and monogame is still missing fairly important pieces of .NET 4.0.

It's a little silly to suggest that mono is some form of original work, when it is primarily an attempt to make as many XNA APIs as possible cross-platform. The work of a brick layer, not an architect.

I was gonna type a long winded post demolishing this.. but I would rather you explain further..
What important features is Mono missing from .NET 4.0? :smug:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
XNA is a superior API and monogame is still missing fairly important pieces of .NET 4.0.

Mono[sic] is an ongoing effort. Who cares about all the cruft in BCL anyway. There's so much shit in there.

It's a little silly to suggest that mono is some form of original work, when it is primarily an attempt to make as many XNA APIs as possible cross-platform. The work of a brick layer, not an architect

You're confusing the two as much that I'm confused as to whether you're referring to mono or monogame at the time.

That's like conversing with the French academia.

IOW, "1GdGZZ"

If you really have an interest in it.. go to the link. If I was going to sum it up in a quick verbage..

Improved API - More simple to use and get working and less dependant on Microsoft abstractions
Improved Performance
Improved Modularity
Added features like -proper- Anti-aliasing and more control over your pipelines for rendering
Uses the GPL more efficiently

I am sure the list goes on, I am not an expert on XNA before it was discontinued or what it's capabilities were.. but Mono is shaping up to be a very powerful library whereas XNA was a niche product for peddling shitty games on Xbox Live..

It still presupposes a particular way of rasterizing to screen buffer. That is, \in list of stuff I hate:

- vertex attributes
- uniforms
- variants
- fragments
- vertices

GLES 3 (?) sucks less, supposedly.

IOW, "{d}ZZ"

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
You are both correct that mono is a work in progress. Perhaps things have improved since I used it last. As for missing pieces, I remember needing the PowerCollections library because some of the .NET collections I wanted to use did not have equivalents.

EDIT: Having researched it some today, it appears that the first step to using MonoGame is still to install XNA because its content pipeline tools aren't finished yet. But who cares about that when you have PS4 vertex attributes? :lol:

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
You don't hafta use XNA-formatted assets at all. I didn't have an asset library at all in my stuff. In fact loaded the sprites from Fallout & Arcanum and that was it.

mondblut

Arcane
Well, I recently started musing about making a small game, a trifle if you wish, that would be similar in looks to games such as terraria/starbound/broforce. In other words, 2d and pixels would be mandatory. Landscaping (mining/farming etc) does not particularly interest me: I just like the visual style of those games. I would like it to have stats, NPCs, and dialogue choices (with possible branching conversahunz).

Do you know how to program?

Not really. But my associate (a friend who's in this with me) does.

Hi Zoe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom