Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How would Codex design a card game using a standard deck?

ind33d

Educated
I think the best way to go would be copying Final Fantasy/Wizardry combat. Maybe each suit would be a different class and each rank would represent a different level. Remember, we have poker chips, so those could represent gold/XP. Balance it so each player has an equal amount of levels on his team but not necessarily the same number of cards, sort of like the D&D Miniatures Skirmish game. It would have to be alternating activations to prevent TPKs. There should be party order, but no board required, so just a vague idea of front to back instead of full formations. Tapping is trademarked, so we'd have to figure out some other way to run combat...

Clubs=Fighter, Hearts=Cleric, Spades=Magic-User, Diamonds=Thief

Aces should be low, since levels start at 1.

Players agree beforehand on how many points per army and are dealt that many levels in cards until he hits that number sort of like blackjack

Deuce to 7 triple draw is an interesting game, how do we go for that feel?

Gregz

Arcane
4 factions according to suit, and a very complicated synergy between cards. Face cards and numbers having rare multiplicative synergies. You can capture opponent cards, and there's a bargaining and exchange system.

Poseidon00

Arcane
I would be careful about giving card advantage, allowing extra draws and the like, or free removal, like destroying an enemy unit without battling it, as these tend to be the quickest ways to give a heavy advantage to one strategy in the meta.

ind33d

Educated
4 factions according to suit, and a very complicated synergy between cards. Face cards and numbers having rare multiplicative synergies. You can capture opponent cards, and there's a bargaining and exchange system.
I'm trying to think of novel states to put a card in other than face up/face down or tapped. We can copy banding from MTG but instead of determining your opponent's damage, it's more like using the topmost cards as meat shields. Ex. both players could have 10/2 off but putting one or the other in front would be better

Hell Swarm

Educated
What are you trying to make here? Malifaux uses cards in place of dice and hitting the right cards trigger specific abilities but it seems like you want to use cards as player units? The easiest way would be to design a game like Chess where each player gets a suite and each number relates to something power wise. I would be inclined to say you want dice to resolve combat if you do it any other way. I would personally be inclined to allow cards to merge together so you could put your 2 on top of a 1 and make a 3 power pawn. Adds risk/reward to making larger stacks. Probably make it so the non-number cards can always eat a stack no matter how tall to prevent godzilla wars of your 2 biggest cards merging and being untouchable.

ind33d

Educated
Dice are too random.

What if combat was placing your hand on top of the opponent's hand and each number you have that is higher than the matching card in your opponent's hand takes one chip of HP away? But each player can re-order his hand before combat, face-down. That incentivizes you to beat each of your opponent's cards by as little as possible to conserve your hand strength.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
GUIDE - WIN THE CODEX CARD GAME EVERY TIME:

Hand your opponent the cards and say "you deal" then when he's shuffling them, pull out your gun and shoot him.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

Hand your opponent the cards and say "you deal" then when he's shuffling them, pull out your gun and shoot him.
Reminds me of this magic trick : shuffle a deck and ask your victim to draw the first card, face up. As soon he does it shout at him "Wrong ! That's the wrong one you idiot !", pick up the cards and leave.

jaekl

Educated
Patron

Reminds me of this magic trick : shuffle a deck and ask your victim to draw the first card, face up. As soon he does it shout at him "Wrong ! That's the wrong one you idiot !", pick up the cards and leave.
That's a good trick, thank you I'll add it to my repertoire

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom