Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I am extremely butthurt about my engine's lack of bloom

AngryDevMan

Novice
As you know, every single commercial graphics engine in existence has high quality bloom that can radiate great distances. Unfortunately for my upcoming game I didn't have the budget for a top line engine and was forced to use one that had no bloom at all. Now when I signed up for the license the developer assured me he would implement bloom. He did, after a fashion, but it only radiates out like 5 pixels or something. No matter how I argue, this prick won't see that the decisions in game design are up to ME, the designer!

For example if a robot with red eyes has a glow that radiates out a millionth of an inch is that menacing? If a glowing plasma gun doesn't glow like crazy, what's the point? Or lava. Or, like, all kinds of stuff man.

Baron

Arcane
Instead of using bloom for menace you could put some sharp corners on your robot, something to indicate the resulting bruising in the event of an accidental collision with the player. And can change the plasma gun to sonic! Hopefully the game engine does include some high pitched whines; if not, you could always record your own by reading aloud your original post.

No need to waste time in messy litigation. It's like that thing the Romans used to say, caveat emptor, saltatrix tonsa. Te Iuppiter dique omnes perdant!

Let the buyer beware, tranny. Jupiter and all the gods damn you.

kazgar

Arcane
Jaesun said:

is this the point where we can start complaining about the 2011 newfags and let the 2010 starters reach a point of maturity where they blend in with everyone else?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
AngryDevMan said:
For example if a robot with red eyes has a glow that radiates out a millionth of an inch is that menacing

No. But this is.

Pete_Hines_01.JPG

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
kazgar said:
Jaesun said:

is this the point where we can start complaining about the 2011 newfags and let the 2010 starters reach a point of maturity where they blend in with everyone else?
Please yes. :roll:

racofer

Thread Incliner
kazgar said:
Jaesun said:

FRPOR26.gif

The avatar fits this post surprisingly well.

:salute:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seriously, bloom is not that hard to do.

I have no expertise in doing shaders, but since I know the theory behind bloom (ya get every bright pixel and stretch it in all directions), even I could do that. And it's not like you couldn't find dozens of how-tos online. That does not mean I will do it for you, heh ;)

But I have to ask.. why do you want bloom? If it's not done very well, it will look like shit. I usually turn it off in most games where you can turn it off.
So, do it at least optional, as bloom always goes heavy on the hardware (additional render passes, almost impossible to mix with other shaders).

SuperBloom

Novice
I explained to the engine maker man that he will never ever be taken seriously if this is how he treats his customers. I have a lot of experience in the biz as a designer, just because I can't program or draw doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing.

Bloom is about style, not about covering up engine flaws.

Check out my upcoming game divergence online. Now see how bereft of bloom those eyes are. On a scale of one to ten are you really menaced by this?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
kingcomrade said:
Hobo Elf said:
AngryDevMan said:
For example if a robot with red eyes has a glow that radiates out a millionth of an inch is that menacing

No. But this is.

Pete_Hines_01.JPG
That's two grotesque pictures of that guy smiling. What is wrong with him?

He's a sociopath. He is pretending.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom