Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Icewind Dale 2 review on RPGRadar

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Icewind Dale 2

<a href="http://www.rpgradar.com/">RPGRadar</a> have given <a href="Http://icewind2.blackisle.com">Icewind Dale 2</a> a spectacular <A href="http://www.rpgradar.com/reviews/pc/icedale2.html">review</a>. It scored a <b>9.1/10</b>, with the <i>Characters</i> in the game getting a <b>9.7/10</b>. That begs the question, does a game with absolutely no characters get a <b>9/10</b>? I digress, though! Here's part of the thing:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Now onto what Icewind Dale II is all about, hack-and-slash action! The game itself is basically based around pure combat, with the exception of a few diplomatic situations where you can wiggle your way out of a struggle through use of words. But who would want to do that, and miss an opportunity to kick some Ice Troll ass? The game revolves around one epic battle after another. You get done battling it away with a massive patrol of orcs for 15 minutes, only to be attacked a few seconds down the road by another patrol, twice as large! Although combat can soon turn repetitive after playing for hours on end, I was never left unsatisfied after annihilating a pack of Yeti. Icewind Dale II is a combat lovers dream.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Let's mull that one over.. <i>combat lover's dream</i>.
<br>
<br>
Spotted that at <A href="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</a>.

Mistress

Liturgist
The character system doesn't limit you the way the old rules did, and it allows for a broader, more rounded selection of characters.

Of course, we're forgetting here that rangers suck. Yes, I am bitter about that.

But the game isn't all goody goody. The path finding AI is utterly disgraceful. In past Infinity engine games, path finding has always been a bit quirky, but Icewind Dale II proves to have the worst by far.

Indeed. It does get quite tedious after a time, but then I always found it pretty tedious in the previous games, setting a destination for the party - then looking to see two of them got trapped behind a table..... :roll:

Icewind Dale II quickly redeems itself with a newly designed interface. All character information runs along the bottom portion of the screen, instead of the sides as in previous Infinity games. This clears up unwanted clutter and adds more viewable space to the screen. New weapon slots are also available making it easy to equip different weapons during the heat of battle without having to go through your inventory.

I've said it before somewhere, I thought the interface was a great improvement. Looks and feels much better.

Sound is superb and crisp. Inon Zur, a personal favorite of mine, composed the music and this is by far some of his best work to date.

Well, what's there is nice enough, but I can't say I really noticed it to be honest, Except perhaps when I was battling an insane number of hook horrors and the music suddenly cut in.....

Victory in combat is only acheived through use of strategic command and brutal onslaughts. With these two factors included together, it doesn't allow for anything less than an awesome multiplayer mode.

Awesome multiplayer? Icewind Dale II? Sorry...?

Now onto what Icewind Dale II is all about, hack-and-slash action! The game itself is basically based around pure combat, with the exception of a few diplomatic situations where you can wiggle your way out of a struggle through use of words. But who would want to do that, and miss an opportunity to kick some Ice Troll ass?

Probably someone wishing to roleplay a non-aggressive character. Just maybe....

You get done battling it away with a massive patrol of orcs for 15 minutes, only to be attacked a few seconds down the road by another patrol, twice as large!

Yeah...it gets a little tedious at times.

....there are a few puzzles and mazes which will leave even the most advanced players baffled and in search of a strategy guide

They didn't leave me looking for a strategy guide, just endlessly reloading after getting burnt to a crisp.

And because the game is to played just as the developers made it, you have to solve the puzzles, making it even harder for those less talented.

No. Making it harder for those without certain classes in their party.

Despite the few issues that are embedded within, Icewind Dale II succeeds at beating it's predecessor to a pulp. It's bigger and better in all categories, and deserves to be included in your gaming collection, especially if your looking for a bloody, combat driven RPG.

While I started out thinking along those lines, I came to the conclusion that I preferred the first game on many levels. Sure it wasn't an indepth, amazing roleplaying game - but it was fun. In many places I really didn't find IWD2 to be too much fun. Shame, but there you go.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
It's great that the reviewer hypes the multiplayer when even the developers say that it sucks. You know you're reading a PR piece, and not a review, when they say something like, <i>Awesome Multiplayer</i> about a game like Icewind Dale 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom