Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Icewind Dale II CE Review at Stratos Group

Mistress

Liturgist
Tags: Icewind Dale 2

<a href="http://www.stratosgroup.com">Stratos Group</a> have posted a <a href="http://www.stratosgroup.com/reviews/games.php?selected=0212iwd2>review</a> of the <a href="http://icewind2.blackisle.com/collectors.html">Icewind Dale II Collector's Edition</a>. I'm not sure why they make the distinction between the CE and normal, as the contents only get a very brief mention. Not that there's too much you can say about teeny ice dice....They give the game an overall 3.7/5.0.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>"That isn't to say that IWD2 adds nothing to the RPG genre. While not the first game to utilize the 3rd-Edition AD&D ruleset, IWD2 certainly stands out as one of the best. Notably, it provides a wealth of useful information both in the print manual as well as in the game itself. This allows the player to plan character development in great detail. Because character attributes have an impact on dialogue choices, a charismatic paladin will have a different set of dialogue choices than a surly thief. The result is that character development has a direct influence on gameplay, a key characteristic of a good RPG. However, IWD2 lacks much of the personality found in the Baldur's Gate games. Without scripted character interactions or strong personalities, the IWD2 adventurers feel like just another group of generic swordarms working their way through the storyline."</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
*imagines IWD2 with BGII style romances...* I'll take the hack 'n' slash thanks...

Deathy

Liturgist
There's one thing I've never understood about the BG and IWD series.
They're combat focused games, yet the combat is largely automated and not very interactive.
What's the point?

I suppose it isn't as bad as Dungeon Siege, with the same system, but even more automation, and with less (read: no) real dialogue.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
That isn't to say that IWD2 adds nothing to the RPG genre. While not the first game to utilize the 3rd-Edition AD&D ruleset, IWD2 certainly stands out as one of the best.

Well, there's three PC CRPGs using 3E, so.. How could IWD2 not be one of the best? That's like telling your father that he's your favorite of all your dads.

Mistress

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
That isn't to say that IWD2 adds nothing to the RPG genre. While not the first game to utilize the 3rd-Edition AD&D ruleset, IWD2 certainly stands out as one of the best.

Well, there's three PC CRPGs using 3E, so.. How could IWD2 not be one of the best? That's like telling your father that he's your favorite of all your dads.

hehehe - my father always uses that line - "I'm the best dad you've got!"

But yes, when the contenders include NWN....well....say no more.

Section8

Cipher
I'd take that even further and say that it's probably one of the best Icewind Dale games on the market. What's even funnier though, is that Neverwinter Nights can only claim to be the second best Neverwinter Nights game. :twisted:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
My opinion is that Icewind Dale 2 is a much better game than IWD/BG/BG2/NWN. It's got a much more fleshed out story and pretty much takes the Infinity Engine to the limits of its usefulness (which isn't very much).

While it's no Planescape: Torment, it's not a 'bad' game either. I'd call NWN a 'bad' game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom