Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IGN acquires Gamer Network (Eurogamer, RPS, VG247, etc)

Elttharion

Learned

IGN Entertainment acquires Eurogamer, GI, VG247, Rock Paper Shotgun and more​

IGN Entertainment has acquired the Gamer Network family of digital brands for an undisclosed sum.

As a result of the acquisition, some redundancies have been made across the UK-based organisation.

Gamer Network’s publications are GamesIndustry.biz, Eurogamer (including six local language editions), Rock Paper Shotgun, VG247 and Dicebreaker. The business also holds shares in Outside Xbox, Digital Foundry and Hookshot (which operates Nintendolife, PushSquare, PureXbox and Time Extension).

IGN Entertainment is the division of Ziff Davis that includes IGN, MapGenie, HowLongToBeat, and Humble Bundle. It has acquired the websites from PAX and New York Comic-Con organiser ReedPop, which initially bought the Gamer Network business in 2018.

Not included in the sale are UK-based events EGX or MCM, or the digital brand Popverse, which remain with ReedPop.
Source

ropetight

Savant

IGN Entertainment has acquired the Gamer Network family of digital brands for an undisclosed sum.

As a result of the acquisition, some redundancies have been made across the UK-based organisation.

Gamer Network’s publications are GamesIndustry.biz, Eurogamer (including six local language editions), Rock Paper Shotgun, VG247 and Dicebreaker. The business also holds shares in Outside Xbox, Digital Foundry and Hookshot (which operates Nintendolife, PushSquare, PureXbox and Time Extension).

IGN Entertainment is the division of Ziff Davis that includes IGN, MapGenie, HowLongToBeat, and Humble Bundle. It has acquired the websites from PAX and New York Comic-Con organiser ReedPop, which initially bought the Gamer Network business in 2018.

Not included in the sale are UK-based events EGX or MCM, or the digital brand Popverse, which remain with ReedPop.
Source
This is great, now they all are in the same company to not giveshit about.
Too bad they didn't buy Kotaku too.

Gerrard

Arcane

Source
And you could have it all, my empire of shit!

Elttharion

Learned

Source

Long-time Staffers At RPS, GamesIndustry.biz, VG247 Surprised By Layoffs As IGN Buys Network​

Source

Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

Source

Long-time Staffers At RPS, GamesIndustry.biz, VG247 Surprised By Layoffs As IGN Buys Network​

Source
“I am most worried about people's livelihoods, but I am also very worried that they won't be allowed to be weird and write thoughtful, critical things. I worry that, now that the machine has increased in size, it will necessarily crush my most talented peers from the Network into writing boring, SEO-focused things designed to appeal to the averaged-out reader. But people aren't average, so when you try to appeal to the average you end up appealing to nobody."
Why would they fire such a fine editor?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/eurogamer-has-a-new-parent-company

Eurogamer has a new parent company​

IGN Entertainment.

Hey everyone. At 5pm yesterday, it was announced that the Gamer Network family of websites - Eurogamer, GamesIndustry.biz, VG247, Rock Paper Shotgun and Dicebreaker - had been acquired by a new owner, IGN Entertainment.

This was not unexpected. Gamer Network had been publicly up for sale for a few months, as you may recall, after our previous parent company Reedpop decided to divest the websites it bought alongside EGX.

And IGN Entertainment, which alongside its flagship website also runs a bunch of other long-running brands like Humble Bundle, Mashable, Lifehacker and PCMag, had always seemed a possible buyer.

Very sadly, what was unexpected were the number of redundancies included as part of that acquisition. During a torrid time for video game industry layoffs generally, Gamer Network now stands among the many other companies affected. Eurogamer's own site staff have not been directly impacted, but it would be impossible to write this post without acknowledging the loss of friends and colleagues within the Gamer Network office and across our sister websites, some of whom I've worked with for over a decade.

It is still the earliest of days in this next chapter for Eurogamer, and I'm reminded now more than ever how lucky I am to be part of the team taking this website through its 25th year.

I know you're probably keen to hear more on how being part of a different parent company might impact Eurogamer going forward, and if there are important updates to share in the future I'll endeavour to do so as quickly as I can. For now, my hope is we continue to demonstrate that our commitment to the work we do - our tireless news reporting, definitive reviews, entertaining videos, trustworthy guides and insightful features - remains as strong and as independently minded as ever, today and long into the future.

Thanks as always for reading.

Tom

Nothing on RPS or VG247.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Holding out hope that IGN fires 80% of them and makes the rest write game guides…

…which will be used to train AI to write more.

Frozen

Arcane
adam-sessler-adam-sessler-clapping.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom