Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview IGN Previews Dungeon Siege 2

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Dungeon Siege 2; Gas Powered Games

IGN has written up a <a href=http://pc.ign.com/articles/588/588995p1.html>preview</a> of Dungeon Siege 2, covering some of the places you'll visit in the game, and the monsters you'll have to kill at those locations with a few images accompanying the preview. Here's a snippet:
<br>
<blockquote><b>Tomb of the Champion</b>
<br>
The Tomb of the Champion is a relic of the First Age, and a monument to one of the champions of the Northern Reaches -- a kingdom allied with Azunai, the Defender. This tribe of Azunites had elaborate burial rituals: the body of the champion was cremated while the minstrels sang of his deeds for three days and three nights. At sunrise on the fourth day, his ashes were placed in his coffin, which was interred (complete with a death mask on top) inside his sealed personal crypt.
<br>
<br>
As you explore the crypt, not all is what it appears to be. Is that a solid wall? Is that loose brick the result of decay, or the entrance to a secret room? And surely some secret chambers will be more dangerous than others. Treasures might wait behind some doors; others might contain traps, with onrushing balls of flame. </blockquote>
<br>
Is it a game? Is it a screensaver? Only time will tell.

errorcode

Liturgist
There's a Tomb and it's got stuff in it. See? Some of it might be hidden, some of it might be dangerous, some of it might be nothing. You don't know what kind of stuff it might be and that's the adventure!!

I'll wait till the codex drags it over the coals before i give it a gander. The first one was a remarkably expensive screensaver with some fun crashing issues.

errorcode

Liturgist
God willing it's a surprisingly good RPG that blindsides all of us hard-bitten gaming cynics with it's deep and compelling gameplay and story.

More likely it'll be a shiny turd that stretches the definition of RPG till it screams and then bores us to sleep with asinine gameplay and crap writing.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm willing to give Dungeon Siege 2 a chance if only because Chris Taylor made Total Annihilation. That said though, if it sucks, he better just stick to RTS games.

xemous

Arcane
The graphics are dated, Failure. I will try but not purchase.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Saint_Proverbius said:
I'm willing to give Dungeon Siege 2 a chance if only because Chris Taylor made Total Annihilation. That said though, if it sucks, he better just stick to RTS games.

Total Annihilation kicked ass. Probably my favorite strategy game of all time.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
That Dire Wolf picture on the linked page doesn't look very "wolfie" to me.
More like some sort of Final Fantasy-inspired hybrid.

Anf if you look at this picture:
http://media.pc.ign.com/media/569/56971 ... 12589.html
...looked quite flash as a small image, but when at full size you realise that the engine doesn't have the eye candy promised. That big dude to the right is very low-poly.

Not that that should be the primary emphasis in an rpg - the gameplay should be - but I'm not confident that even that will be all that hot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom