Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm in a mood for a Diablo-clone / favorite Diablo-clones

Aothan

Magister
Torchlight plays well enough yet has a 'WoW' quality that deters many accustomed to the tonal qualities found of other games. Speaking of which, I'm not sure if Inquisitor has been mentioned, probably the most thoughtfully written of the selections so far listed, but has some issues with gameplay that become increasingly evident around the latter parts of the midgame.

still very good for tone and setting, and exceptional writing as action games go, that is assuming you take the time to read the 'book' of dialogue the game offers as you converse with people and try to fathom what is underway.

Depending on whether you're a PC purist, or a PS3/PS4 fan, the finalized version with all the DLC will be available in March. They also added some bonus DLC for PS3 fans to compensate for the lack of PS4 graphical fidelity.

I'll probably get it for the new monster placement and (?) extra areas. On PS4 so I can play it on a bigger screen.

PS3 supposedly has one extra questline, though both PS3/PS4 have extra DLC on top of what is packaged for people who bought the original.

Might want to try BloodLust Shadowhunters, it is getting early comparisons to both Bloodlines and Diablo.

Victor Vran has almost zero customization.

Also, there is an 8 minute video for an incredible looking game on YouTube called 'Lost Ark'...

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Throne of Darkness was pretty funny, if not incredibly hard and frustrating when it came to managing your companions. The OST and the atmosphere of medieval Japan were top notch tough.

Darkforge

Augur
I've now played Path of Exile all the way to the second act. The second act seems to have a little more freedom than the first. The problem with the first act at least was that there wasn't much in terms of opportunities for trying your hand at higher level areas, i.e. no opportunities at all other than by skipping areas. Unfortunately skipping areas would be rather effortful due to exits being difficult to find.

Without skipping content, there was zero challenge of any sort until the Act One boss - and even beating that didn't take me more than redoing the last couple of areas until I was lvl 17 and could wear better armor. I dislike equipment level restrictions btw. These games don't need balance as much as they need opportunity for trying higher level areas and skipping content easily, and cool stuff like finding an awesome armor at low level and being able to use it.

Game looks awesome. It also reminds me of Diablo specifically in some ways, like gratuitous tomes that reveal lore via voice acted monologue, similar equipment modifier system, procedurally generated loot and monsters and levels. Even beating monsters has a similar satisfying feel to it, although I wish that slashing-weapons sounded different than smashing with a hammer.

It seems to me the loot system could be better. First of all, there's too much loot - every monster type drops random loot regularly (compare with Dark Souls or Two Worlds, where you're motivated to kill for xp but not loot most of the time, and certain monsters drop certain kinds of loot). The 'money' of the realm here is mainly scrolls of wisdom. Those scrolls are used to identify items, and I'm running out of them. You can bring back solid, good loot and get one scroll in return or something while having had to identify multiple items. It actually doesn't matter much how good your loot is. It's weird. I think the game expects me to drag back to town and sell everything I find. Fortunately you find those scrolls on occasion, but not nearly like gold in Diablo. It's possible to progress without constant travel back to town because the game is so easy, but the whole thing seems a little off. The loot system does require a complete overhaul imo.

I alluded to it - monsters are nothing but trash mobs so far if you don't skip content, so even the ones that aren't just annoying slime balls kind of lose their coolness when you can just mow them down without breaking a sweat.

I need to start skipping content - maybe the game will become more interesting to play.

I have been playing this game for years now, and Act four beta is coming out in the next few days, and I'm very excited.
This game I admit, is admittedly a little dull until you hit around act 3 normal, but ramps up fairly quickly after that and gets more interesting.
You need to play more.

There are a lot of misconceptions here. Respectfully your entire statement screams of a new player that hasn't given it enough of a chance as yet. I had similar first impressions, until I actually hit the end of act 3 and the higher difficulties. It actually ends up ramping up a fair bit in the higher difficulties to the point of being up being particularly punishing until you learn a lot about the character system and how to build a character, A system which is more in depth than pretty much any other Arpg in existence. I guess they tried to ease new players into it.

The mapping end game is another thing entirely....

You typically wont want to clear all areas if this is the type of player you are, at least till higher levels when you are farming.

Contrary, to first impressions the loot system is better than any of its competitors. Its an extremely well thought out and meticulous system. But this is not apparent at first glance. Scrolls of wisdom are actually pretty worthless, in the beginning you just want to pick up some blues and yellows and vendor what you don't require to get a stock and only identify items you might be interested in wearing. Soon enough you will have more wisdom scrolls than you know what to do with. The real "money" comes from the various items that can drop and are used as both currency and embedded in the crafting system. You can in theory turn that plain white item that just dropped into an amazing weapon if you have enough of the right currencies. There is a different currency type too change just about any property of an item which varying degrees of rarity and worth. In fact, with this in mind in later levels that one white Item with a 6 link could be one of the most valuable things you find.

You have to approach this game in a slightly different manner than you may be used to. Actually picking up everything is the last thing you should do. Most items (apart from the aforementioned currency items and skill gems) will be passed over. After some time playing you will learn whats valuable and whats not. All depends on what sort of character you are building. It takes some time and maybe the game needs to do a better job explaining this to new players, but all of a sudden it will click.

Amazing game, some reason its the one diablo clone that keeps pulling me back in

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tried Bloodlust Shadowhunters.
And Crom the combat is still floaty as fuck. Definitely a successor to Bloodlines.

Pablo1989

Novice
I still rymenber Revenant, story begins like Gothic 2
You know fallen hero who been ressurected olso lost memory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom