Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline I'm making Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 maps

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I guess I shouldn't keep posting in the community let's play thread about my own maps. This isn't an RPG (although you do play a role... hm...), so I'm not sure that this thread goes best in the Codex Workshop, but it seems the most suitable. I would like to show off and maybe exchange ideas.

I just got back into RCT2 in earnest a few weeks ago, so my skills aren't so fresh, although they never really were. Mostly, I remember tinkering with with this as a small child. However, my desire for good maps suitable for a succession game drove me to mess around with the scenario editor. It's very intuitive, and it's helping me let off some steam and foster my creativity during my studies.

This is the master post for all my downloads.

Dink
Scenario V1.0 (12/30/2015)
Scenario V1.0 Hard (12/30/2015)
4-year save file, as seen in screenshots

The United Strand of Trumperica (Sands of Trump)
Scenario V1.0 (12/21/2015)
Scenario V1.0 Hard (12/21/2015)

The Kalm Kliffs of Kodexia
Scenario V1.1 (12/21/2015)
Also oops, turns out that I overwrote the old version.

:negative:It was crappy anyway.

Last edited:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Lately, I've been trying to design a more vertical landscape. Because I want to make a long scenario (10 years or more) with a tough goal, I've chosen the largest dimensions possible. To make things interesting, I've attempted to add both cliffs and flooded terraces. The terraces ended up much larger than the area where I'll be sculpting the cliffs, which is kind of stupid. However, what's important is that there will be both of these things, and I hope that they'll both lend themselves to interesting coaster designs and park logistics.

It isn't quite a canyon, but the hills flatten out to a passing river. I haven't decided what to put on the opposite side, but I'll address that matter when I reach it.

Some early design:

siyWyQm.png

DM5xCst.png

The current plan is that guests will enter the map by paths above the shallow body of water in the top right of the first image, and then climb up to the park entrance, situated between the cliffs and the terraces. I kind of want the initial paths to be somewhat unintuitive, as though whoever previously owned the land built a single winding trail throughout the whole place.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Dat gate. :salute:

I like the cliffs, would be cool to have a coaster going in and out of it like a mine cart ride or something.

Also, while I'm thinking, should try a canyon map, with the park spanning between the walls or maybe stretching down the floor, because why not.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Thanks. I designed this with the hopes that the hills and cliffs would lend themselves to some well designed coasters.

The canyon park is an interesting idea. There is an option in the editor to forbid high construction. Perhaps I could make it so that you can't build very high in the canyon, but you would have construction rights underground on either side, allowing you to conceal your wildest rides.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I added some purchasable land in the corners of the map, and I think it's good to go. I played 3 years into it and had a lot of fun. The Kalm Kliffs of Kodexia are ready for action. I'm updating the OP with download links to the scenario itself and my most recent save file.

ewsGppw.png

WoEjTMp.png

46kJw8n.png

vfBBvfx.png

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I played more of the Kalm Kliffs, and every single one of my rides ended up breaking down every five minutes or so, no exaggeration. I think this was a result of the "Park rating higher difficult level" option that I had checked, so I made a new version and unchecked it. I wish it just meant that you'd need to make a higher quality park to get a good rating, but instead it means the fucking game sabotages every single ride.

This new version should be more playable.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
2020. Trump holds a tenuous grasp on a single strand of land in the Midwest, between the seceded commonwealth of Arizona and the Utah province in the expanding empire of Canada. This strand goes through a canyon that naturally bridges the East Coast and the West Coast, but Trump wants to build a theme park there to popularize the area. You can't build high, because he doesn't want your neighbors to see, but he didn't say anything about not digging into those canyon walls that they're paying for.

I present the Sands of Trump (in the menu as "The United Strand of Trumperica").

I created a 5-year scenario with a goal of 2000 guests, and it turned out to be pretty easy, so I'm also sharing a hard mode with a 3000 guest goal in the OP.

6CmUPqb.png

Last edited:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I've essentially cloned Dinky Park but made it a bit larger. I've called the park Dink. The goal is to get a park value of $250,000 in 4 years. There is a slightly tougher version called Hard Dink, where the goal is $300,000 in park value.

wPuRmxR.png

QPn5V1b.png

OEKmZgW.png

IdWpOa8.png

What my park looked like after 4 years:
9tR86mO.png

vw97vzE.png

x6nrvov.png

TudLiWy.png

Elojhe3.png

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I quadrupled the size of the landscape in Dink and made a Mega Park sort of thing. The working idea is that all rides--excepting some duplicates--are enabled by default, so no research is necessary. The goal is to build ten roller coasters (of different types), each at least 5908 ft (1800 m) in length and with an excitement rating of at least 7.

The interesting thing is that I'm not entirely sure that this will work out as planned. I wanted to have money be part of the park's challenge, but the editor only lets me enable that specific kind of goal if I disable money. However, I was able to disable money, choose that goal, and then enable money again in the editor. I'm hoping that this won't mess with whatever system checks whether the goals are completed.

My goal was to ensure that, despite the very lofty victory conditions, players would have to start out small and work their way up to the reputation of a park with giant coasters. I mean, the maximum loan is currently 35,000$ bux, so there's some slack at the beginning, but that's definitely not enough to start building a bunch of super mega thrilling coasters right away.

I'm hoping that after I'm confident enough about it, I will be able to start up another succession game. It could last quite a while and become increasingly entertaining as the park expands. Perhaps I can do the same sort of goal in the Kalm Kliffs as well.

DWColTn.png

8MHx04q.png

kLqSM88.png

32O3m5P.png

ggoElLa.png

2Q8fAHW.png

hZTbrcj.png

QKK7Ko2.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom