Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm not going to play a Paladin I'm not going to play a Pala

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Ok I found my disks and re-installed D2 LOD. Every time I play this game I end up making a paladin and getting frost aura and zeal, so I'm not going to do that. I am going to play classes I have never really tried. I think melee classes in D2 all play pretty much the same way (life leech and just click your way through crowds) so I will play casters.

I intend to try a caster druid and a trapsadin (I really like this class and I've played it before but I don't think I got very far).

I always thought Javelin Amazons sucked, do they?

BirdsCanFly

Educated
Java Ama only sucks against Lightning Immunity, she rapes everything else. Especially with the one piercing unique belt.

Micmu

Magister
Make a poison+lightning fury zon, that one rapes everything. I easily torn Hell apart solo with one (on hardcore).

Paperclip

Liturgist
What's a trapsadin? Do you mean trapsin? I prefer her sister K/T (kicker/trapper) sin because her play style is more involving as a hybrid melee-er and you can tinker with your equips more (not just +X to skills). A K/T sin build:

martial art:
dragon talon: 20 (or just enough to reach 4 kicks with equips - require some planning)
dragon flight: 1

shadow discipline:
venom: 20
mind blast: 1
shadow warrior/master: 20 (optional)

traps:
fire blast: 3
death sentry: 20
lighting sentry: you can put the rest of your skill points here

Equipments: lots of crushing blow (your main source of damage at hell difficulty) and IAS (increase attack speed) for your kicks.

Play style involves getting close to a pack of enemies (don't forget your 1 pt burst of speed buff), cast cloak of shadows, lay 2-3 death sentry traps, dragon flight+kick kick kick, and watch them get blown apart. For bosses just kick them to death (don't forget to equip crushing blow items).

As for casters, I like necro the most because his skill sets is the most interesting, though for an untwinked char, he's not the strongest. Make a fishymancer (20 raise skeleton, 20 skeleton mastery, 1 summon resist, 20 corpse explosion, 1 to each curses (amplify damage as your main curse), and get the act 2 might merc) for a decent and safe untwinked necro build.

RatFink

Educated
i always like playing a summon necromancer the most!
granted its not the most action you would get but it is awesome haveng some golem, a skeleton army and revived demons do your bidding!

Jive One

Educated
micmu said:
Make a poison+lightning fury zon, that one rapes everything. I easily torn Hell apart solo with one (on hardcore).

Yes. HELL yes.

Except I'd use freezing arrow instead of poison. Zons are just an all-around awesome class and my favorite in D2.

Fishymancers are fun too, although less engaging.

Xi

Arcane
Mt favorite character ever was a summoning Necromancer. Once you get Enigma and the weapon that adds fanaticism aura for your helper, you are practically invincible. There's something cool about teleporting around yourself and 40 minions.

There's nothing this character can't kill, but sometimes things will kill your minions so quickly that you wonder wtf happened. Still, pretty buff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ2aGhOB ... re=related

Also, wolf druids with uber gear do insane damage.

Every class has a viable build that is impressive, but they all take varying amounts of gear and cookie cutter skill placements that it boils down to how much time you are willing to invest. It probably takes a good 2 weeks of online play before you are viable.

I can't imagine how simple people must be to play through 3 difficulty levels with the exact same character, spamming the exact same skills for 90% of the game. How I wish there was another H&S in the lines of Diablo 1, where normal difficulty was actually hard and not something you got run through on your way to super-hard-hell-demonic-ultra difficulty.

If you want a fun Diablo 1 mod to change the game and up the difficulty to a level challenging enough for an experienced player, play The Hell

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Go Hydra/Meteor(/Firewall?) Sorceress. Fun times! + you get teleportation.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
Re: I'm not going to play a Paladin I'm not going to play a

kingcomrade said:
Ok I found my disks and re-installed D2 LOD. Every time I play this game I end up making a paladin and getting frost aura and zeal, so I'm not going to do that. I am going to play classes I have never really tried. I think melee classes in D2 all play pretty much the same way (life leech and just click your way through crowds) so I will play casters.

I intend to try a caster druid and a trapsadin (I really like this class and I've played it before but I don't think I got very far).

The first character I ever played was a zeal pally. I didn't twink or anything but I would farm for that stupid set with the warsword and gloves and something else for lifeleech and health on hit. I got my ass RAPED in act 2. Then I had to fight Diablo and it turns out what I needed was resists. But I pushed on. It took me 2 hours of dying to kill diablo but I did it.

I play median mod instead so at least I can be mobile while zealing (as a necro wat).

also melee necros on classic lod 4 life homie

Destroid

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
I can't imagine how simple people must be to play through 3 difficulty levels with the exact same character, spamming the exact same skills for 90% of the game. How I wish there was another H&S in the lines of Diablo 1, where normal difficulty was actually hard and not something you got run through on your way to super-hard-hell-demonic-ultra difficulty.

If you want a fun Diablo 1 mod to change the game and up the difficulty to a level challenging enough for an experienced player, play The Hell

Use a trainer to skip to hell. Of course, its really hard at first because you have no good items.

But D2 sucks anyway, go play something else.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I reinstalled it a few months ago when I got a netbook to check if it would work and played a bit and then stopped when I noticed that I couldn't stack potions. Fuckers took like third of the inventory.

Kraszu

Prophet
Destroid said:
Use a trainer to skip to hell. Of course, its really hard at first because you have no good items.

I had made lvl1 Sorcess set in Hero editor normal/nm to be completed, run around in hell brough + 3 level fb stick, it would took forever to kill anything so I had tried nm, killed Zombie in 5 minutes, and got 52exp FUUU, wtf isn't that nothing for lvl 25-30 char that should be there? Editing had messed something up or what?

Oh fuck that:
http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Experienc ... r_Level_25 meh, anyway x20 still would be slow 1040 for a Zombie? So what is the lowest reasonable lvl? Also any way to set it fast so that my hp/mana/stamina etc would set itself?

Yeesh

Magister
Re: I'm not going to play a Paladin I'm not going to play a

kingcomrade said:

I couldn't tell you as of 1.11, but they used to have their moments. What's wonderful about Diablo 2 is that Blizzard has updated it for ten years and has shaken things up from time to time. No one would say that the classes are balanced, but they've tried to make a whole lot of builds viable.

Here's a list of guides from what I think is one of the most active communities, which could help you find info that's current to the latest patch:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=25806417&f=87

CrimHead

Scholar
So on RPGcodex the Diablo games stand as pinnacles of good gameplay while the Baldur's Gate games get criticized to no end? Sounds logical.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yes CrimHead, 5 people posting in this thread and 5 entirely different people posting in another thread dictate the attitudes and opinions of everyone on the Codex. Except you, of course.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
DriacKin said:
Diablo is indeed the pinnacle of good action-RPG combat.

Yeah. As for BG, it's its pretentions of being tactical and complex that brings it down. Supposedly RTwP combat is "a compromise between action and turned based play", but in fact, it's just shit. At best you click and watch, at worst it's a clusterfuck. Diablo has no pretentions of being complex or deep, on the other hand, but ironically the gameplay is still more challenging than BG. I don't know, as far as I'm concerned they're both shit of course so it doesn't really matter that much, to me Diablo is just a time-waster and that's fine, whereas infinity engine combat is a missed opportunity, which makes it all the more frustrating

Paperclip

Liturgist
DriacKin said:

For iso arpgs, I give Nox this title for the gameplay mechanics (interactive objects, fast paced even more twitchy than D2, more character control, line of sight, and more seamless transition between "levels").

But Diablo 2 is unbeatable in its huge number of itemz and somewhat interesting skill pool thus the best in build/character customization.

For skills, I'm partial to Titan Quest's mechanics, though the skill effects aren't particularly spectacular.

Paperclip said:
DriacKin said:

For iso arpgs, I give Nox this title for the gameplay mechanics (interactive objects, fast paced even more twitchy than D2, more character control, line of sight, and more seamless transition between "levels").

I absolutely agree. Nox was the Unreal Tournament of H&S games. Fucking awesome online till EA fucked over Westwood. Diablo has nothing on Nox other then massive scale.

Destroid said:

I thought the main attraction of H&S games was slowly developing your character to awesomeness over time. If you skip right to hell difficulty you are left with... Mephisto runs x 1000.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I hate Diablo 2 character guides, they're often unreadable and are mostly about the equipment to get rather than the skills you want to use and why.

mister_matt

Educated
Hey guys, remember the cow level?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom