Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

im worried that most AAA rpg games are owned by microsoft

samoilaaa

Educated
Now microsoft owns most AAA rpg game developers , Bethesda , Obsidian , Inxile , and Playground games ( with Fable )

is there any hope that these games will turn out good ( im not even hoping for great ) and wont be filled with woke shit ?

there are other upcoming AAA rpg games but they will 100% be woke like hogwarts legacy and dragon age 4

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's monetization you should be worried about. Microsoft bought those companies at a premium. They're going to be expecting mad profits. Single player RPGs don't print monies compared to other games. So who knows what nefarious money making scheme they'll come up with.

Falksi

Arcane
Retro gaming is booming at the moment, and I think a large part of that is because even normies have clicked on to the fact that AAA games are usually shit, released broken, and full of wokeness. Tons of pics in the Retro groups of parents raising their kids on plug-n-play games of old, trying to buck the trend of headset gaming and re-ignite the trend of local gaming. There's a lot of "Physical Forever" groups starting up on Facebook too, which are obviously anti-online.

Be interesting to see how things pan out the next few years. I think the AAA market has put too many of it's eggs in one basket. Once this absolute worthless faggot generation is out of the way, there'll be a backlash.

samoilaaa

Educated
AAA games are for subhumans anyway.
i know but sometimes i like instead of reading a long text to just watch a cinematic like in the witcher , im 31 years old and i work 12 hours a day , when i come home i dont wanna start reading , to be honest i was only able to finish games like pathfinder or dos2 when i was on vacation for a couple of days

samoilaaa

Educated
As if the games of these developers were considered good here before they were acquired by Microsoft.

Just another bravado "I don't like modern AAA games" thread.
actualy i like them alot , i loved metro exodus , deus ex , the witcher 3 , prey , dishonored 2 ,

samoilaaa

Educated
It's monetization you should be worried about. Microsoft bought those companies at a premium. They're going to be expecting mad profits. Single player RPGs don't print monies compared to other games. So who knows what nefarious money making scheme they'll come up with.
i think they will give them 1 chance , for example Obsidian with avowed and inxile with their steampunk AAA game , if they will fail microsoft will either force them to make live service games or will shut one of them down ( most likely inxile )

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Obsidian and Bethesda were already putting woke shit in their games so there's no reason it would stop now that they've become one of Bill Gates NGO's. I think Sawyer said something about making a companion member vaccinated-gender to promote being used as a New World Order lab rat.

Last edited:

SmoothPimp

Educated
As if the games of these developers were considered good here before they were acquired by Microsoft.

Just another bravado "I don't like modern AAA games" thread.
actualy i like them alot , i loved metro exodus , deus ex , the witcher 3 , prey , dishonored 2 ,
It's CRPG discussion thread so I'm using "games" in context of "CRP games".

samoilaaa

Educated
Obsidian and Bethesda were already putting woke shit in their games so there's no reason it would stop now that they've become Bill Gates NGO's. I think Sawyer said something about making a companion member vaccinated-gender to promote being used as a New World Order lab rat.
damn this is sad
is there a list on this site of the most anticipated rpg games ? i follow some rpg channels on youtube but they mostly talk about popular ones

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Yes, but does it matter? They will be managed by the same type of people while hiring the same kind of people etc. etc. gamedev isn't a closed world for sure, but people do circulate between these companies a lot. So basically the only thing you have to fear is that teh suits will force them to be more greedy, but then again if they're struggling for cash and hoping occasional Kickstarter will help them in harsh times, isn't that good enough motivation to go full greed?

Also consider the fact that Microsoft clearly bought them because they want to broaden their catalogue of games for their subscription service, so it may not be that bad in the end.

samoilaaa

Educated
Yes, but does it matter? They will be managed by the same type of people while hiring the same kind of people etc. etc. gamedev isn't a closed world for sure, but people do circulate between these companies a lot. So basically the only thing you have to fear is that teh suits will force them to be more greedy, but then again if they're struggling for cash and hoping occasional Kickstarter will help them in harsh times, isn't that good enough motivation to go full greed?

Also consider the fact that Microsoft clearly bought them because they want to broaden their catalogue of games for their subscription service, so it may not be that bad in the end.
yeah gamepass is a success and it will become even bigger once the big hitters like starfield will release

soulburner

Cipher
Knowing the history of big publishers buying developer studios and then shutting them down once they don't meet monetary expectations, I believe we will see Microsoft putting an end to many of their recent purchases within the next few years. No matter how Microsoft tries to look like a good guy for gamers, they are nothing else than a corporation and rules for those did not magically change.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Obsidian and Bethesda were already putting woke shit in their games so there's no reason it would stop now that they've become Bill Gates NGO's. I think Sawyer said something about making a companion member vaccinated-gender to promote being used as a New World Order lab rat.
damn this is sad
is there a list on this site of the most anticipated rpg games ? i follow some rpg channels on youtube but they mostly talk about popular ones

Here's the list of incline. https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/the-list-of-incline-2021-edition.136643/

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Knowing the history of big publishers buying developer studios and then shutting them down once they don't meet monetary expectations, I believe we will see Microsoft putting an end to many of their recent purchases within the next few years. No matter how Microsoft tries to look like a good guy for gamers, they are nothing else than a corporation and rules for those did not magically change.
It's not the same environment as 20 years ago or even 10 years ago though. It might've made sense for EA to shutter under-performing companies in the 90s when games had to compete for limited shelf space in the stores. Now Microsoft *need* a steady stream of Game Pass fodder, so they might just downsize the under-performers and have them focus on quick turnaround products.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Bethesda , Obsidian , Inxile , and Playground games ( with Fable )
I don't really care about a majority of those and the other random companies/devs that get bought out by major corporations.

The future lies in indies and independent self-publishing studios.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
InExile isn't even AAA. I don't think even Obsidian counts as one. But that's semantics. None of these studios were improving on their own so the buyout doesn't affect me at all. I rarely play anything that is above European AA.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Now microsoft owns most AAA rpg game developers , Bethesda , Obsidian , Inxile , and Playground games ( with Fable )

is there any hope that these games will turn out good ( im not even hoping for great ) and wont be filled with woke shit ?

there are other upcoming AAA rpg games but they will 100% be woke like hogwarts legacy and dragon age 4

Fortunately Electronic Arts and Ubisoft, heroic saviors of AAA games, managed to stay independent :smug:

Last edited:

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Obsidian was already in terminal decline, most of the talented people left inexile. In reality Microsoft bought two losers and Bethesda. If inexile or Obsidian produces quality in the future it will be because of Microsoft, not despite Microsoft.

In any case, nothing of value was lost by any of these purchases.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom