Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Immigrants

Calren

Novice
So we've had a burst of new folk over the last couple of days, myself included. I'd like to bring up something for discussion, ideally leaving the "immigrants that invite random people" out.

As some of you know, I play another game, and have been bringing a couple people into here to check things out, help with roadwork, and see if they like the game. Well, opinions have run fairly high. High enough more of the officers from my guild are heading over to check things out, and I expect in turn those that like it will bring a couple of their friends. Everyone's had good things to say about the game so far, so I expect there to be a decent trickle in of new players into H&H.

Since playtimes are weird, and because most of Nowa's spoken for, a couple are already making a temporary camp out by the swamp (southwest side IIRC) to act out of while coming down to my plot and trading directly with me when they're on. We're thinking about installing a suburb out there, but not sure what would work best. For now, people are learning the basics, and I'm taking several up to the highway and giving lessons about LP, beliefs, resource management, alt vaulting, what's good and bad to do (e.g. no clearcutting unless you need the resources at this stage) and so on. After I go find where the temp camp is for sure (bad memory, all I see is stones and roads, zzz) I'll be able to throw some more ideas out. for now I think it'll be sort of organized chaos, like pack's farm in a grid format like the town. get people to be villagers, and if the shit hits the fan they can recall inside and hope for the best like us.

So, any thoughts? get the newcomers to help with the main wall, then play off the cornerstones to seal in another area?

Blxz

Educated
Barry, i mentioned somehting about having satelite villages a few days ago. Maybe we could dump these newbs at a particular resource we want to control somewhere and have them set up a camp there. Nova Codexia is likely to become a bit crowded otherwise. That way they can be a bit separate but still be tied to you. get them out of our hair while solidifying your town's control over more distant resources. Will help with setting up crossroads, etc.

Even if you wanted to appoint someone from codexia as a LS over there so you can still keep control on it. Someone you trust to stop them breaking away independantly.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Calren said:
Since playtimes are weird, and because most of Nowa's spoken for
There are still 4 plots left in Nowa Kodekzia. My preference is to give them to people who've been on a bit and proven their interest in the game. Otherwise we run the risk of giving them to peeps who get bored after a week and never come back. We then have to wait for their shit to decay or sort out if they're coming back or not before we can give the plot to someone else.

I'll update the Village thread with a list of plots that are still available.

Calren said:
a couple are already making a temporary camp out by the swamp (southwest side IIRC) to act out of while coming down to my plot and trading directly with me when they're on. We're thinking about installing a suburb out there, but not sure what would work best.
Expansion is good and do-able. Our priority at the moment is completing the main wall. If we expand large enough, we can wall off other areas. As areas are walled off we can then open the internal gates between areas or build Crossroads for easier movement.

Whatever the external wall is though will always have its gates shut at all times, excepting special circumstances.

I'll look at throwing together some sort of plan for future expansion beyond the current walls.

Calren said:
get people to be villagers, and if the shit hits the fan they can recall inside and hope for the best like us.
[...]
So, any thoughts? get the newcomers to help with the main wall, then play off the cornerstones to seal in another area?
My attitude is that the more people, the merrier. That comes from being in the 2nd World were it ended up being me, Muty, Kazgar (Jaskier) and one or two others. You'd login, no-one would be online and it was less fun.

Yes more people makes us a more likely raiding target. That however, is a risk of the game no matter where we are and how big or small our group is. While we don't have any official alliances as yet, I am confident that if attacked, Codexia will be able to rouse up the rangers of others villagers and I'm certain they will be more than happy to hunt down and raze any raiding village to the ground. Of course, we should also encourage our own villagers to look at improving their combat skills and sparring.

I'm happy for people to invite new people in that they feel would add to the village (IE: They're not completely retarded, they can follow simple rules and they're not going to cause us trouble). There's really not much to do in the game other than build more shit, make more shit or get bored and start killing people. I see having a village as part of the fun and it allows us to do more such as trade, get higher Q stuff etc... Plus I like town planning. :P There's also no real harm in having a large town (provided we plan it properly with good roads, access Crossroads and plots with trees for construction timber that get replanted).

Yes we're going to have some drama out of that from time-to-time but I don't forsee anything we won't be able to deal with. We are not Tinsel Town.

Blxz said:
Barry, i mentioned somehting about having satelite villages a few days ago.
At this stage the only satellite village would be at Copperpot. Setting up villages at high Q clay, soil or water could be done but we obviously need to find them first and that also becomes a lot of villages and a lot of people to maintain them. It also splits the group a bit (one of the fun things is coming online and having other people in village chat).

Aratheus

Educated
I've pretty much stopped leveling my smithing in favor of melee. Up to 60 so far, and bought rage, and should have murder here soon (60k lp saved out of 100k). I think though one priority as we get bigger, and once we get closer to having the bricks done, is to try to start trading for stocks of decent quality bronze. Even if we could get some around q50ish it'd really help. I have a q28 bronze sword and a q21 soldier's sword, and the soldier is definately the better of the two so far. However apparently the damage boost on weapons and the defense boost on armor from quality is rather significant, so even those with lower combat skills could stand a chance given proper armor and weaponry.

With the two smith rings we got from rayven's pearls, we should have no problem producing high quality equipment if we can just get high quality metal.

RayvenQ

Novice
On a note about raiders, I'm fairly confident that Juhu will help out if we really need it, plus birng along some buddies.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Aratheus said:
if we can just get high quality metal.
For that, we need high Q clay to make smelters out of and high Q charcoal from high Q trees to fuel them.

Aratheus

Educated
Ok so I've gotten two of my buddies playing, and they're really into the game. Both put probably 100 hours in already over the past week or so. However neither of them are much a fan of starting in a "premade" village. I tried to explain to them that the village still has a way to go and they'd learn plenty, but they prefer to do their own thing. I mentioned that we had spoken of a satelite village at the copperpot mine, and they seemed to go for that a bit more.

So, I was wondering if we would like to work towards setting something up there? I can dual log Ara in the main village, and this new alt in the new one in order to party up for rights either direction, and for hauling metals back and forth, to get iron out there and copper up here. We could bring some of the newer players in from the main village as well, perhaps stick five or so and myself out there on the alt, get a town up and begin working on it. If we can get it up and running, and do some mining in the tin mine, we could start getting our own bronze flowing.

They're currently way up in C1, from my estimations and triangulations, and so I made an alt to help them out for now. However as you may know, there's a lot of raiding going on up here, particularly with villages and decent sized settlements.

I don't know who'd do best leading the copperpot village if we make one, as I don't think I have nearly enough LP for it right now, nor do I know who would want to come.

Any opinions, comments, suggestions? I'd really like to get these guys into a situation where they can grow rather than sitting out in the woods playing with sticks, and this seemed like a good opportunity to guide them a bit more, and to get some copper coming in for us.

Blxz

Educated
Aratheus said:
Ok so I've gotten two of my buddies playing, and they're really into the game. Both put probably 100 hours in already over the past week or so. However neither of them are much a fan of starting in a "premade" village. I tried to explain to them that the village still has a way to go and they'd learn plenty, but they prefer to do their own thing. I mentioned that we had spoken of a satelite village at the copperpot mine, and they seemed to go for that a bit more.

So, I was wondering if we would like to work towards setting something up there? I can dual log Ara in the main village, and this new alt in the new one in order to party up for rights either direction, and for hauling metals back and forth, to get iron out there and copper up here. We could bring some of the newer players in from the main village as well, perhaps stick five or so and myself out there on the alt, get a town up and begin working on it. If we can get it up and running, and do some mining in the tin mine, we could start getting our own bronze flowing.

They're currently way up in C1, from my estimations and triangulations, and so I made an alt to help them out for now. However as you may know, there's a lot of raiding going on up here, particularly with villages and decent sized settlements.

I don't know who'd do best leading the copperpot village if we make one, as I don't think I have nearly enough LP for it right now, nor do I know who would want to come.

Any opinions, comments, suggestions? I'd really like to get these guys into a situation where they can grow rather than sitting out in the woods playing with sticks, and this seemed like a good opportunity to guide them a bit more, and to get some copper coming in for us.

You mean you don't have enough LP for Lawspeaking?
I have that skill but I am not the one to lead the village. Too new and far too content with my newly finished palisade.

But you make some good points. Its important to get some ppl set up to control our resources so we can port them back and forth as needed. they would still be tied to us but would have enough freedom to work on their own. Maybe promote rayven or one of the other long time towners to lead that village? Unless barry trusts that they can stay loyal leading themselves?

Aratheus

Educated
I would be there on my alt, Kerjan. He doesn't have the LP for lawspeaking. Ara could get it quickly enough but he needs to stay here so I would have members of both villages to be able to party and port for moving resources and such.

I didn't expect it to be the three of us though. I fully expect a few people from here would come over, perhaps some of the newer members who've not settled in yet.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
A satellite at Copperpot is worthwhile. What I'm trying to do at the moment is setup Kruger as a high Q Tin supplier. He's got Q75 bricks coming in to build good smelters. If we can get a steady supply of Tin from him (he's using the old Vault 13 outside of Codexia) and Bronze from Copperpot, we can do some simple three-way metal trades.

I'm not against it. There is a risk we may "lose" the mine but so long as we have an alt in their for party purposes we can still use it even if it's under a village claim. My preference is "one of us" has LS especially during the start-up phase while we're still seeing how it works out, but as they're "friends", I'm not too deeply concerned if it doesn't work out that way.

After all, worst case scenario, we go in there, kill them all and take back the mine. :P

Getting the LP for LS won't be difficult and setting up a village claim will take new people a while otherwise. Do you want to maybe move Zamte over there, Aratheus? Setup the village and put in Crossroads between there and Nowa and we'll be able to haul Bronze a lot easier and provide Iron back. Setup Tin / Bronze exchanges between Kruger and Copperpot and then trade Iron, Wrought and Steel for Bronze is probably the easiest way to work it.

Aratheus

Educated
I'm up for whatever. When I said I don't know who should have LS, I meant perhaps you'd want to use an alt, or Pack might want to be LS on one of his alts, since it was/is his mine. I could move Zam down there, once Crossroads are up I can still use him for harvesting in Nowa anyways.

I busted my ass on my new alt that I was playing with them up in C1 to work my way down to Zam's old camp in B2, to bring back a ton of stuff, including some chests, good quality seeds, some string and clovers to keep our HP up, and they were having fun, and then last night some asshole came into our camps, stole all the chests, smashed Tyler's sturdy bed, and took off with all my rope, bone glue, rustroot, clovers, my silkworm eggs which I super lucked into getting a male and female on first two tries, and a bunch of other crap. So now I'm up there on Ara stalking his house waiting for him to come outside so I can slaughter him.

I figure after that they're kind of ticked off, and something organized and supported like this might be good for them. My only concern is that the mine isn't exactly on a good building spot, being desert and all, and the griefer walls are a bit messy. We'd almost need to build the town off to the west in the forest, and try to work on eventually redoing the walls in brick. For now though a crossroads should work fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom