Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Impire (Dungeon Keeper clone)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What does manning up have to do with this? I just have a higher tolarance for some clunky design decisions, and don't say that something is shit, because I have to click 5 times in a battle.

It is similar to 3D camera control in Obsidian games. 90% of the Codex says that it is generally shit, yet I have no problem with it, and can use the camera without a problem.

Cool name

Arcane
Cool story bro. Creatures without payment would get angry, fight among themselves and rebel leaving your dungeon without you being able to control them. And yes, they can and will destroy doors no problem.

Also, both skeletons and ghosts required food and pay checks in DK1.

Creatures did not get angry nor destroyed doors when I did play it. Instead they would sit in front of the door all day. Or stand in front of the door all day in a huge bunch. I would throw chicks to them with the hand. When the enemies did come I did throw them to the enemies. When the enemies where dead I would throw them back into the room. And I do not remember skeletons requiring food. I do remember to I did like the look of having small cells with skeletons in them all around the dungeon because it did look pretty cool so maybe that's why I did not notice, but I did never fed them. Or I did keep it as decoration in the dungeon heart. Maybe they take so little money I did never pay attention.

On later missions I did it the other way around, though: I made a strong door in my dungeon's main entrance and threw the inhabitants in the other side of it. They would all bunch in front of the door trying to get to the treasure room. The enemies that did attack had to fight them all to get to the door. Every new monster that did get to my dungeon I did throw it in the bunch and that was it.

I did play the game quite a long time ago so maybe I am mixing something up with II, but the fact that I did never pay my troops I do remember because I do hate time limits and I did always feel the amount of gold in a map was a time being forced on me. There are many things I never did because of that: I did not know you could sacrifice things in the temple until I did read a let's play for example. Or at least I did forget it, because I did never use it on my playthrough. :oops:

Maybe I did hit a bug or something with the door thingy?

Edit: I do also remember I was unable to actually attack the enemy dungeon because they would not respond my commands or something (i could throw them somewhere but if there was not an enemy to attack them they would make a beeline back to the door) so I did destroy the enemy heart by possesing one of them, running to the heart, hitting it until I died, possesing another, running to the heart, hitting it until I died, etc, until the enemy heart died instead. :P I was a little xploiting bitch when I was smallish.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Skeletons were free in DK2, but also useless. In DK1 they were reliable fighters (learned the Armour spell afair if you trained them and good in melee).

Also, I checked a source and it seems that ghosts and skeletons don't have to eat, so my memory was playing tricks on me. They do require money.

And many creatures got angry over things far more petty than lack of payment. When creature rebelled it would try to leave your dungeon, ignoring your commands. Many creatures were also very prone to attacking your other minions when angered so I'm not really sure how is it possible to complete the campaign without spending gold on wages. Perhaps you used the transfer creature special which allows you to bumrush and destroy hostile keepers very quickly, but there's no fun in that.

There was also this spell that forced your minions to work without breaks when active, but that was only available in one or two scenarios afair.

asongforsimeon

Educated
Cool story bro. Creatures without payment would get angry, fight among themselves and rebel leaving your dungeon without you being able to control them. And yes, they can and will destroy doors no problem.

Also, both skeletons and ghosts required food and pay checks in DK1.

Creatures did not get angry nor destroyed doors when I did play it. Instead they would sit in front of the door all day. Or stand in front of the door all day in a huge bunch. I would throw chicks to them with the hand. When the enemies did come I did throw them to the enemies. When the enemies where dead I would throw them back into the room. And I do not remember skeletons requiring food. I do remember to I did like the look of having small cells with skeletons in them all around the dungeon because it did look pretty cool so maybe that's why I did not notice, but I did never fed them. Or I did keep it as decoration in the dungeon heart. Maybe they take so little money I did never pay attention.

On later missions I did it the other way around, though: I made a strong door in my dungeon's main entrance and threw the inhabitants in the other side of it. They would all bunch in front of the door trying to get to the treasure room. The enemies that did attack had to fight them all to get to the door. Every new monster that did get to my dungeon I did throw it in the bunch and that was it.

I did play the game quite a long time ago so maybe I am mixing something up with II, but the fact that I did never pay my troops I do remember because I do hate time limits and I did always feel the amount of gold in a map was a time being forced on me. There are many things I never did because of that: I did not know you could sacrifice things in the temple until I did read a let's play for example. Or at least I did forget it, because I did never use it on my playthrough. :oops:

Maybe I did hit a bug or something with the door thingy?

Edit: I do also remember I was unable to actually attack the enemy dungeon because they would not respond my commands or something (i could throw them somewhere but if there was not an enemy to attack them they would make a beeline back to the door) so I did destroy the enemy heart by possesing one of them, running to the heart, hitting it until I died, possesing another, running to the heart, hitting it until I died, etc, until the enemy heart died instead. :P I was a little xploiting bitch when I was smallish.

I had a friend who also hated time limits. He could play a single Age of Kings skirmish for weeks microing every single worker. I always wondered how could one not go mad.

P.S. skeletons do not require food, but they take it if so ordered. By putting the poor chicken inside their rib cage.

EG

Nullified
It is similar to 3D camera control in Obsidian games. 90% of the Codex says that it is generally shit, yet I have no problem with it, and can use the camera without a problem.

Mario 64 trained us for the future day of Wasteland's release. :salute:

Mortmal

Arcane
The first RTS was dune, i remember that you clicked once on the harvester and they were going back and forth automatically from spice field to the base, same for the peons in warcraft, lumbering mining coming back and forth to the base. Impire doesnt even do that right, you have to manually collect by sending outside for small amounts each fucking time.
Actually the imps who don't have anything assigned to them collect the resources automatically.

So i am complianing about having to click on them and send them to attacK ? Well in those decade old games, i used to click on the units, units easily selectable on the map, and they do attack , instantly, without delay , i could also pull part healer from the squad .A fun thing was in most rts healer were healing in combat, in impire they dont . In impire they take their time to attack , ignore objects, and you have to send they back and forth after each encounters to eat. How would you like dawn of war 2, if you had to send the tyranid to feed back to base every time?
There is valid criticism in there, the units are not easily selectable, and the healer doesn't just heals, but attacks. But you can select the squad quickly, with the 1-5 keys. I didn't see that they don't respond to attack commands. AndI still don't get what's so annoying in sending the troops to eat. All you have to do is right click on the kitchen icon, and in the radial menu select eat. It takes a second. And it's not that you can have too many units (only 5 squads). If you can't handle this little micromanagement, I can't see how did you play other RTS games.

Its not dungeon keeper indeed, not anywhere near as good and fun, you wont tell stories about it decades later, and as a RTS its inferior to pretty much anything i played, in fact i cant remember worse. For me its a serious contender for worst of 2013.
Really? :lol: It's the worst? You didn't play much RTS in the last decades, do you?

And I've never said that it is nearly as fun as DK. It is not, and it won't become a classic ever. But saying that the game is the worst RTS ever just because you have to micromanage a little is stupid.

Its not just a little micromaangement the issue, theres plenty of issues, i never made an exhaustive list.
You can select the squad quickly yes but the squad is not using any stance or formation, its just one big melee and you cannot pick an pull away an injured unit. Maybe if the squad limit was much higher and they added a decent AI on top of it it would be fun, but right now i can only question the design choices. You have a high tolerance to shitty design indeed, as i dont see any reasons why i should send back the troop to eat, it should be an option, wit them doing it automatically when free .

Do you find intuive and convenient to mix the max zoom out and the management screen,where you cant see your selection, and cant order to attack ? Or having to alt tab when your game freeze, to click on hidden error windows that popup ? It looks like they send us a beta build with the debugger. This whole game is a tutorial for future developpers on how to not do things.Fighting with the interface all the time, tedious , repetitve gameplay, doing the dishes is more fun.

No i f you can accept this, then you will accept pretty much anything. Enjoy the shitload of armor dlcs and extra minions they will undoubtly shove down your throat soon .

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Inspite of some people think, I can admit if I made a mistake, so I admit here and now: I was wrong about Impire. After playing some more, I realized that it really has those problems some of you mentionad. Feeding the units constantly is tedious, the AI is godawful, you can't control them during battle, you can't even select them precisely. And it gets repetitive to battle-feed-battle-feed-battle constatnly.

That said, I had some fun with it, so I can't accept that it is total garbage, but it has many problems.

No i f you can accept this, then you will accept pretty much anything. Enjoy the shitload of armor dlcs and extra minions they will undoubtly shove down your throat soon .
I almost never buy DLCs, especially not to a game like this. So I wouldn't have bought and enjoyed the armor DLCs and minions. Especially since I downloaded the game from The Bay.

Mortmal

Arcane
Its courageous to admit your mistake, however i think the fact you donwloaded from the bay and not paid anything biased your opinion. For free its probably much more tolerable.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That's another reason why I'm always skeptical of reviews. I don't think it's a huge factor but lurking in their subconscious is the fact that most of them don't actually pay for these games (some do but the vast majority of reviewers are given comp copies).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
That's another reason why I'm always skeptical of reviews. I don't think it's a huge factor but lurking in their subconscious is the fact that most of them don't actually pay for these games (some do but the vast majority of reviewers are given comp copies).
This can go both ways. If you get it for free, you might be more positive and tolerating (as Mortmal said), because it didn't cost you anything. However if you are a paying customer, you might be more positive about it, because it is hard to admit that you paid full price for a turd. Your subconscious tells you that it is not that bad. Of course this might vary from person to person.

Regarding Impire: is it just me, or we can't put AI opponents into a skirmish battle? I set up a skirmish scenario, and there weren't any other players on the map, and even the preplaced enemies were just standing on the spot. I couldn't even target them.

Skirmish is still in "beta", it seems. Pre-order = paying beta tester

Impire Update Released

Product Update - Valve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMPIRE CHANGELOG
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version 1.0.1.2 20/02/2013

Fixes:
- Ch.1 Act 1: Fix camera out of bounds when placing kitchen.
- Ch.1 Act 3: Gate not opening and crash during boss fight, and end of scenario
- Ch.1 Act 4: Skulls Side quest and Golden keys side quests now work properly
- Ch.4 Act 5: Resources will be gained provided you have access to the stockroom.
- Fixes in stability. No more game crash at end of scenario.
- Fixed Giving orders to units during combat, for both squads and single units.
- There are no more Asserts, and other pop ups, except for unhandled exceptions which CTD and provide a .dmp file.
- Fixed to two musics playing at the same time.
- Fixed gui sliders not going through full range
- Fixed being unable to equip runes.
- Updated German Localisation.
- Misc GUI fixes.
- Fixed Camera out of bound problems, and when squads in world map.

Tweaks:
- Ch.2 Act 1: Coloured fire is replaced by symbols to help the colour blind.
- Mouse Scroll (for camera) delay has been disabled.
For users who use WASD to move camera you can disable the mouse scroll in the options.
We will work to add an option for delay time.
- Aggressiveness is now regained by all units idling, up to 50%.

Known Bugs:
- "Dark Halls": This is an issue with AMD/ATI video cards. Please set SmoothVisionHD to application setting
and the bug should go away.
- Steam Cloud: Save games are local, and game profiles are cloud only.
- Units escaping emprisonment might behave oddly or not move at all
- Multiplayer (co-op campaign and skirmish games), though fully featured, remains in beta-status.
Some surface scratches have to be polished.
- Crashes may occur at the end of or during a skirmish game.
- Skirmish: Capture the Dragon: if Baal is killed at the Gateway while carrying the dragon,
the dragon may not respawn correctly and and thus become unreachable.
- Problems with possible display resolutions. Work is ongoing.
- On some hardware configurations, changing the resolution while in full screen mode,
switchin to full screen, or turning on VSync may cause the screen to go black/flicker
and the game to enter an unresponsive state. It will reset after 15 seconds

Notes:
- The new patch might cause a game crash upon loading a game saved with the previous version. Your campaign progress should not be affected.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
This can go both ways. If you get it for free, you might be more positive and tolerating (as Mortmal said), because it didn't cost you anything. However if you are a paying customer, you might be more positive about it, because it is hard to admit that you paid full price for a turd. Your subconscious tells you that it is not that bad. Of course this might vary from person to person.

Many people actually find it easier to criticize something they got for free rather than criticizing something they spent hard-earned money on.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Skirmish is multiplayer only. I believe they've stated they didn't make skirmish AI because it was too costly.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's starting to become pretty common in a lot of indie/budget titles.

EG

Nullified
Skirmish is multiplayer only. I believe they've stated they didn't make skirmish AI because it was too costly.

Eh?, since when making AI in a game is expensive?.

Since they've started to really suck at it.

If Notch can get away with it...
Oh!, i forgot Impire doesnt have Asspies pulling whiteknight stuff everywhere.

I keep forgetting that, except for us and three other people, Notch did get away with it. :(

Psquit

Arcane

Eh?, since when making AI in a game is expensive?.

Since they've started to really suck at it.

If Notch can get away with it...
Oh!, i forgot Impire doesnt have Asspies pulling whiteknight stuff everywhere.

I keep forgetting that, except for us and three other people, Notch did get away with it. :(

Notch: Minecraft will bring about the master race. Master! Master! One able to survive, or even have sex in the real world. As long as there are differences, we will troll ourselves apart flaming each other. We need one race. Race! Race! One goal. Goal! Goal! One people . . . to move forward to our destiny. Destiny (Scrolls).

Codex: Its over notch!. Your days of throwing big parties are over.

Notch: You think you can SUE me!? SUE! Me?

Bad ending you join Mojang.

Notch: Excellent. Your talents will be useful. But first, you must tell me everything about The Codex.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Demo is now available on Steam. Played it for about thirty minutes (got to the 'table' boss) before I got bored. The interface is bit and clicking on things is awkward and it doesn't always register. Actually, Mortmal already summed it up on his initial purchase:

Ill give you my first impressions, clunky interface, mouse scrolling delay, a pain to target your overlord get your minions to target something, at the end of act 1 youll 'see what i mean by hard to target. The first boss was one of the most retarded encounter i ever got in a video game, you have a boss in the middle of 4 tables , he get full health when he reach the tables, you can destroy them but they regen fast, problem : your minion are unresponsive and slow to attack... The tutorial was a torture,second mission micromanaging hell porting back and forth your minions to different objectives,then back to dungeon to fight back heroes clicking every single of them to upgrade their armor , i played one hour of this and i kid you not i have an headache.

It really was more of a pain rather than fun -- not something you want in a demo (or the entire game).

asongforsimeon

Educated

I worked as a game journalist for some years and yes, sometimes I felt some underground gentleman-ish urge not to trash too badly games that were gifted to me, especially when I was in touch with the developers and they seemed good guys (I was pretty much in charge of indie games for my magazine, so sometimes it happened). Honestly I don't think professional reviews are really better than surfing forums for information about a new game. They could be better for insight, game design discussion and indepth analysis, still.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Good to have you on the Codex, Jessica Chobot!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom