Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improve Fallout 1/2's combat

Lance Treiber

Educated
In an alternative timeline, you're the lead game designer on a real, isometric Fallout 3. Your job is to improve Fallout's combat system.

A cover system - would it even benefit F1/2? After all, side-stepping behind a corner already provides a cover.
Controllable companions - is it really necessary? It's a game about loneliness and melancholy, after all.
What else you got?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
You need less vertical item progression, so there's more incentive to swap equipment based on the encounter.

Random encounters need to be designed, so you're not just being dumped in a stretch of open desert next to some enemies.

Add some Underrail-inspired thrown items like nets and EMP grenades.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Non-sticky cover combined with stances would make it better. Taking a knee behind a rusted out car to provide +aim while making yourself harder to hit would be fun.

Making the companions controllable isn’t a good idea imo. I do wish the AI were smarter and you could give verbal orders ala the party orders mod, but companions you don’t directly control is part of the fallout experience. Frustrating as it can be, it’s one of the factors that makes the games unique.

Disciple

Savant
Make going for the enemy's eyes or head with firearms less OP.

Redesign 'concatenated-encounter' quests like the one involving the cleansing of the Regulators in the Boneyard.

Cross

Arcane
Just copy what Jagged Alliance 2 did. They already have more than a few things in common: open world, targeting of body parts, recruitable companions, stealth/speech/repair/doctor skills.

Last edited:

Turn_BASED

Educated
I don't remember much of a Fallout 1, 2 combat, but for a starter I would love to make a different terrain types, heights, weather and temperatures to have an impact on combat and also weapon jamming.
Super Mutant was hit for 10 hit points. It is hot outside.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Add full party control

done
That would be a move in the right direction but certainly not enough. You need more diversity* in combat too. Somehow. It is too shallow as it is now. Copying JA2 would be the easiest way. Possibly with some improvements like better rules and role for suppressive fire. Built-in ironman mode would be a nice, small addition. Better random encounters or instead many possible fixed encounters would be nice as well.
Also, difficulty. With full party control you make games that were easy to begin with even easier. You need to counter it.

*I don't mean niggers and trans-lesbians.

Ryan muller

Educated
Fallout combat is fine, but way too simple. The obvious change would be better A.I and a more well designed cover system with some destructibility, but i would add some stuff

For example, i dont like how we have poison as a stat condition but we cant apply oils to melee weapons that can be poisonous, nor the fact the game has no poison grenades, shit like negative stat ailments help a lot when it comes to tactical gameplay and its quite lacking here

Criticals as they are do convey lethality well, but they are shit for more tactical combat, it would be better if the weapons just dealt more damage as they were or the player had less HP, so regardless of criting, a shotgun still would kill you at close range

im also all up to adding more action points per turn if the game dont give you the full party control (which would be preferable )

Last edited:

Lt Broccoli

Educated
Able to use guns as improvised melee weapon
Weapon/Armour part replacements (can be improvised)
No access to inventory without heavy penalty
Limited Ammunition reloads (see above about no access to inventory without heavy penalty)
Grapple mechanics
Incremental Weight/Load penalties
Overheat mechanics on Energy/Heavy Weapons
Vehicles
Use of height/elevation
Fog of war penalties
Cover mechanics
Stand/crouch/prone conditions
Controllable NPCs
Indirect Fire/Indirect LOS
Environmental destruction impacts
Greater use of Traps
Disease
Temperature/Weather impacts (and in conjunction with armour)
Psychological effects (PTSD, phobias, etc...)
Nuclear Fusion Critical Hit detonations

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You have a few good ideas, but some of your stuff is just so bad...

Psychological effects (PTSD, phobias, etc...)
If your character has -10% to hit spiders because of a phobia, it's pretty much irrelevant.
If your character loses self control and runs away, it sucks because nobody likes control being taken away.

Grapple mechanics
It's a sprite based game with 99% combat involving multiple targets, while grapping is a 1 on 1 activity with a lot of transitions that need visual representation (a ton of sprite animations) and it's frankly not even interesting. How many people here watch Submission Underground? How many here even know what an Abu Dhabi championship is? You don't want grappling.

Use of height/elevation
It's an isometric game, which is ill suited for heights. Do you want a non-isometric game? Should've opened up with that.

Overheat mechanics on Energy/Heavy Weapons
Is this fun? How?

Temperature/Weather impacts (and in conjunction with armour)
Do you really want to micromanage your character depending on whether it's raining or not? Is this fun?

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
The only two things I dislike about Fallout's combat are the brain dead companions and how long it takes in big fights. I'm not sure what the best fix for the second problem is, though. I don't think Fallout needs more stuff in it. Adding covers, poison, stances, etc. just makes the game more complicated, but not necessarily more fun.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Controllable companions - is it really necessary? It's a game about loneliness and melancholy, after all.
What else you got?
Fallout 2 had this up to a certain point.
However, you cannot completely control the behavior of some companions. There is nothing more infuriating than having Marcus charging like a dumass while being completely surrounded on all sides by heavily armed raiders. Don't even get me started on companions using burst firearms. Just, for the love of God, do not give any of them burst weapons. You will regret it otherwise.
My choice would be to allow complete control over the behavior of companions.
Leave the original Fallout combat as it is, with its glorious Aimed Shots system, Action Points and brutal kill animations.

xuerebx

Erudite
Make it first/third person with real time combat with an optional quasi turn-based/slow-mo mode. Just kidding, that would never happen!

Right?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm shocked no one has mentioned Age of Decadence/Dungeon Rats yet. Despite all of the comparisons to Fallout that Underrail has received, I consider AoD/DR to be far more comparable to FO. Both games have similar action point mechanics, the ability to target limbs, similar movement/pacing, etc. Both AoD and DR have superior combat to FO, and I think that you could take a lot of the elements that are utilized in those games to improve FO, though I do think you'd have to make some changes/improvements to FO as well to make it compatible to such changes. Improved visual clarity to be able to better determine sprite positioning for mechanics such as flanking/backstabbing/etc, is just one example.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
- Add deep customization to companion combat AI behavior.
- Better random encounters
- Extensive combat arsenal (more grenade / trap / throwing options) that can help you create new specialized builds.
- Better perks, that can help your specialized builds.

Trithne

Erudite
I'm shocked no one has mentioned Age of Decadence/Dungeon Rats yet. Despite all of the comparisons to Fallout that Underrail has received, I consider AoD/DR to be far more comparable to FO. Both games have similar action point mechanics, the ability to target limbs, similar movement/pacing, etc. Both AoD and DR have far superior combat to FO, and I think that you could take a lot of the elements that are utilized in those games to improve FO, though I do think you'd have to make some changes/improvements to FO as well to make it compatible to such changes. Improved visual clarity to be able to better determine sprite positioning for mechanics such as flanking/backstabbing/etc, is just one example.
Also Colony Ship, which makes me think of Fallout too, but the full party control improves it drastically.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Realistically?

1. Make aiming much more difficult, not only requiring a bigger skill investment, but also highly dependent on the type of weapon, mods, additional perks and so on. This would also partially fix character development system.
2. Improve companion ai and add more scripts to customize their behavior + maybe allow some choices on their level ups. Basically give the player an incentive to actually use them. Giving full control would mean the need to completely overhaul the entire combat and all encounters, so not really achievable.

Beans00

Erudite
Add full party control

done

LX8UrZ2eh7bbfx_l82Tmwg4xHF6GCYi_xyneRnyIn7w.jpg

d1bqsym-63442456-2e3b-4621-8190-b22be644a6f7.png

zoh041mnz0t61.png

I dunno, I feel like these frustrations turned into great childhood memories.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Improved visual clarity to be able to better determine sprite positioning for mechanics such as flanking/backstabbing/etc, is just one example.
How? Transition from hex to square grid?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom