Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Index Holdings (ATLUS) going bancrupt

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Sega, you're our only hope!

mck

Cipher
Sega, I just want to tell you good luck. We're all counting on you.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
:lol: Yeah, because Sega has proven itself to be such a reliable publisher, especially with its niche Japanese games.

Also, it's not Sega whose bidding, it's Sega Sammy Holdings, Sega's parent company. They make most of their money from pachinko gambling machines. Who knows what they'd do if they got Atlus.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
:lol: Yeah, because Sega has proven itself to be such a reliable publisher, especially with its niche Japanese games.

Also, it's not Sega whose bidding, it's Sega Sammy Holdings, Sega's parent company. They make most of their money from pachinko gambling machines. Who knows what they'd do if they got Atlus.

The alternative is Goldman Sachs.

I'll take a gambling company over a evil corporate one.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter

The alternative is Goldman Sachs.

I'll take a gambling company over a evil corporate one.
No, the alternative is Goldman Sachs and about 18 other unnamed bidders. And I doubt a single one of them will be good for Atlus, not for their ips and not for their US publishing division. Regardless of who wins, we most likely lose. :(

DragoFireheart

No, the alternative is Goldman Sachs and about 18 other unnamed bidders. And I doubt a single one of them will be good for Atlus, not for their ips and not for their US publishing division. Regardless of who wins, we most likely lose. :(

At least Sega attempts to make video games. What do the rest do, kill babies and steal money?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter

At least Sega attempts to make video games. What do the rest do, kill babies and steal money?
Well, I don't know what the rest do because only one other bidder besides Sega Sammy has been named.

And again, not Sega whose bidding, it's their parent company. They could give Atlus ips to Sega but would they do anything good with them, or would they just sit on them for years doing fuck all like they've done with the majority of their Japanese ips? And if they did do something with them, would they rehire the original developers? Would they even release it outside Japan? More likely it would just get torn down with a series a mediocre-to-utter shit games like what happened with Sonic, Phantasy Star and Shining.

And that's assuming the parent company doesn't just turn Atlus into a phone game company and continue to whore out their ips with casual crap, much like Index had already started doing with the Persona series. Or even worse, make a series of Megaten-themed pachinko machines.

DragoFireheart

Well, I don't know what the rest do because only one other bidder besides Sega Sammy has been named.

And again, not Sega whose bidding, it's their parent company. They could give Atlus ips to Sega but would they do anything good with them, or would they just sit on them for years doing fuck all like they've done with the majority of their Japanese ips? And if they did do something with them, would they rehire the original developers? Would they even release it outside Japan? More likely it would just get torn down with a series a mediocre-to-utter shit games like what happened with Sonic, Phantasy Star and Shining.

And that's assuming the parent company doesn't just turn Atlus into a phone game company and continue to whore out their ips with casual crap, much like Index had already started doing with the Persona series. Or even worse, make a series of Megaten-themed pachinko machines.

I'll agree to disagree. I think it's too early to call Atlus dead.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter

I'll agree to disagree. I think it's too early to call Atlus dead.
Fair enough. Not trying to be a doom-sayer here, but I'm just having trouble seeing Atlus coming out of this ok. Would love to be proved wrong on it though, Atlus has always been one of Japan's best.

What, exactly, is Goldman Sachs? I gathered that they're a financial institution, and that one of their execs apparently raped someone, but I can't see Atlus being bought by a company owned 5% by them in danger of negatively affecting them.

I could totally see that from Sega though.

Higher Animal

Arcane
Sega ownership would be best. Atlus characters would appear in new editions of Sonic Racing but new editions of Persona would be made for good consoles and the PC.

See:
What Sega did to the Valkyria Chronicles series.
What Sega did to the Yakuza series.
What Sega did to the Bayonetta series.
What Sega failed to do to the Sonic the Hedgehog series.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
If Sega is smart they'll keep Atlus US around to localize and publish their Japanese games. Probably one of the best localization teams around and with a great reputation, they'd be crazy to shut it down and let its talent get picked up by crap like XSEED or NIS America.

Caim

Arcane
Well, that's a relief. More beloved franchises should be bought free from their (morally) bankrupt owners and given to people who actually make games with them.

Incidentally, does anyone have a guess at the net worth of the Megaman franchise?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, that was a tense moment, I'm not going to lie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom