Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inscryption (card game... roguelike? arg? dm simulator?)

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Steam said:
From the creator of Pony Island and The Hex comes the latest mind melting, self-destructing love letter to video games. Inscryption is an inky black card-based odyssey that blends the deckbuilding roguelike, escape-room style puzzles, and psychological horror into a blood-laced smoothie. Darker still are the secrets inscrybed upon the cards...
In Inscryption you will...
  • Acquire a deck of woodland creature cards by draft, surgery, and self mutilation
  • Unlock the secrets lurking behind the walls of Leshy's cabin
  • Embark on an unexpected and deeply disturbing odyssey

ss_0191a69b0e94a9a7784f5b81e27f06379910645a.jpg

ss_3b714682e9e0a214df1630a234e9f6764528eece.jpg

ss_738220c84b63522c4ca8c77fbff1ddb252ea0fe9.jpg

Game has a free demo on Steam.....

... but....

From what I gather after glancing at game discussion, the game changed genre and basically tells an on-rails story through switching pace, genre, rules, etc, and its only really a deck building roguelike for Act I. Having played the demo and wanting more of it, this put me off from buying for now.

Anyone playing? Is this worth buying if you just want a roguelike deck builder like Slay the Spire, and dig the guy DMing your adventure vibe of the demo, or does it stray too far, too fast? How's replayability?

Salvo

Arcane
Steam said:
From the creator of Pony Island and The Hex comes the latest mind melting, self-destructing love letter to video games. Inscryption is an inky black card-based odyssey that blends the deckbuilding roguelike, escape-room style puzzles, and psychological horror into a blood-laced smoothie. Darker still are the secrets inscrybed upon the cards...
In Inscryption you will...
  • Acquire a deck of woodland creature cards by draft, surgery, and self mutilation
  • Unlock the secrets lurking behind the walls of Leshy's cabin
  • Embark on an unexpected and deeply disturbing odyssey

ss_0191a69b0e94a9a7784f5b81e27f06379910645a.jpg

ss_3b714682e9e0a214df1630a234e9f6764528eece.jpg

ss_738220c84b63522c4ca8c77fbff1ddb252ea0fe9.jpg

Game has a free demo on Steam.....

... but....

From what I gather after glancing at game discussion, the game changed genre and basically tells an on-rails story through switching pace, genre, rules, etc, and its only really a deck building roguelike for Act I. Having played the demo and wanting more of it, this put me off from buying for now.

Anyone playing? Is this worth buying if you just want a roguelike deck builder like Slay the Spire, and dig the guy DMing your adventure vibe of the demo, or does it stray too far, too fast? How's replayability?

It's a decent game hurt by its meta-narrative and ARG sections

cb.spike

Educated
Yeah, fuck this game. Even the good part, spooky card game, later turns out to be on rails with not a proper card system behind it and card matches are just series of premade "puzzles".

ValeVelKal

Arcane
So I reached the "Undertale" part, and more, and so far it has been an incredible journey. Very, very high recommend.

Would not call it RPG though.

Pony Island was fun and different as well, but not a great game. Inscryption is.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
When I first saw this I avoided it because "just another deck building roguelite". But someone told me there's more to it than meets the eye, and after having played and finished it, I agree. There's a demo on Steam, which is what convinced me to take the plunge (so gj to the developer on that).

For me, the first part was the weakest. Second part could have been a true standout if it weren't so short.
Yeah, fuck this game. Even the good part, spooky card game, later turns out to be on rails with not a proper card system behind it and card matches are just series of premade "puzzles".
I don't agree. The first time you go against some of the bosses is nigh guaranteed loss, the rest are proper card battles with a twist. They're not symmetrical, but single player deck builders usually aren't?

Harthwain

Magister
What do you mean "not a proper card system behind it"? You're literally shaping your deck by picking specific cards, random cards within a class (wolves, bugs, etc.), mixing cards by inscribing sigils on them, making them attack harder or have more health, combining totems, and there are also death cards to consider after you lose a run (which is essentially "make your own card" system).

Why is this in RPG section?
Probably because you're playing with the DM. That's the only reason I can think of.

Deck-building roguelite with some adventure puzzles and psychological horror elements is where this game is at. At least from what I've seen so far. It's pretty damn good game overall though.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Probably because you're playing with the DM. That's the only reason I can think of.
Yeah, I thought of it like a tabletop simulator thing.
Also, all this time later, I haven't beaten it. The first act is fun, if a bit on rails, but the second act was like doing homework, and it doesn't get better from there.
This might be the one game where the free demo is better than the full product.

Delphik

I went into this game completely blind and it's pretty good, the gameplay is fairly simple, and once you crack the code in the first act it can be a bit way too easy but then you realize
they basically want you to break it by putting several hints as to how, I just used the squirrel totem thingy and made each squirrel sacrifice count as 3 blood
, after that I fell in love with the game, it's worth a try even if the ending felt a little bit disappointing, after you finish the game you can play Kaycee's mod, which removes all OP interactions and makes the game more challenging and it can be a fun game mode if you're going for all achievements.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
I picked this game up on sale, good money spent.

I've played it for 13 hours so far, got stuck for a good while on trying to kill the GM a second time
Just did and unlocked the part where
you end up walking around in the shed outside the cabin that the game is being played in

locked out in the cold dark shed lmfao
dead
:lol::lol::lol:
time to start a New Game :lol::cool::shittydog:

Good stuff so far. I'm surprisingly not bothered by how intense the game is with its presentation and narrative. It is very heavy handed in how the game flows, but it flows really quite well most of the time. Though the death-sequence got very longwinded when I started dying a lot in a row.
I also played it drunk for a bit and got nausea from it after a while. Man, is the perspective swinging back and forth a lot in this game. Puts you in a trance almost sometimes.

Last edited:

oldbonebrown

Arcane
Currently a little bit hooked on playing kaycee's mod
I find it very much to be about getting a 1hit kill doomsday card, especially on the last boss you have to kill him before he can act

I was just down to 1 hp on the Leshy with nothing but a gold nugget on the board and cards I had no chance of playing on my hand
On the last pull before death I get a sparrow with the hoarder sigil and get it on the board using a squirrel bottle to use it to pull up my doomsday card - an 8/8 Geck with the Fecundity sigil
WVBkijg.jpg

bang bang G G
feels good man

oldbonebrown

Arcane
I geck'd him again right after
rWMYroM.jpg

Had another 4/4 geck on the board when I took down the moon too

Now I have only level 12 left, the last deck looks hard to play on it

notpl

Arbiter
The first portion of this game was pretty good and then they lost me so god damn hard with the later chapters.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
The first portion of this game was pretty good and then they lost me so god damn hard with the later chapters.
The first chapter is the best, which worked well for me since it was also the longest. It is the main meat of the game, as seen by it being expanded in Kaycee's Mod.
But chapter 2 and 3 are also good. What did you not like about them?
Nice change of pace, and the meta narrative proceeded well too - even if it did not reach the heights of the first chapter.
I think the first collection of video clips of the Player/Card Collector was the highpoint of that for me. The card opening videos were very funny.
But as I commented on earlier, it was also great when you stepped out of the cabin in Chapter 1, and started a New Game and ended up in Retro Chapter 2.

I just finished level 12 of Kaycee's Mod and beat the secret final boss. The devlog message from Kaycee you get at the end was very sweet and worked really well.

Last edited:

oldbonebrown

Arcane
One little thing that kept on being funny was when the Player commented "always pick mantis god" after I had just started having that realization, and then it kept on being true for most of the entire game so I kept being reminded of it.

3 others

Augur
Having bought this and Darkest Dungeon (1) recently, I must say that one marvellous thing about Inscryption is how it respects the player's time. The animations, actions and camera pans are crisp as hell compared to the annoyingly ponderous transitions in DD.

Game's otherwise good too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom