Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

insomnia.ac

oscar

Arcane
thesoup said:
http://culture.vg/praise-for-insomnia.html
Just search for "rpg codex".

:lol:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Normally, such crazed autistic internet personalities tend to be Canadian or American, so it is surprising when it happens to be a European.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
stop bumping this you shitheads this retard doesn't deserve publicity

fuck now I'm a hypocrite

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Wyrmlord said:
Normally, such crazed autistic internet personalities tend to be Canadian or American, so it is surprising when it happens to be a European.
:what:

Marobug

So, it seems his readers are happy to fork 20 bucks a year just to post in his forum heh ? Says a lot about his "readership"'s average IQ.

Random

Arcane
Patron
By declaring that he is superior, he is effectively proving that he is not according to Nietzsche. What a failure. Vaarna, get in on this shit, it's hilarious.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I read a few of the articles. They aren't terrible by any means, but a lot of it strikes me as melodramatic, and dare I say, entirely amateurish. For a web site supposedly so deeply dedicated to the study of games, there is a colossal lack of insight, analysis or actual critical thinking in any of the pieces, at least compared to genuinely good sources of academic thought on videogames, such as the (free) Game Studies journal.

This is the worst kind of journalism - the kind that thinks it's genuinely "better", more insightful, more engaging and interesting than others, and is so concerned with playing into that image rather than actually saying anything particularly interesting; the kind of thing whereby quoting Nietzsche, that alone is supposed to somehow elevate the content beyond the base subject matter, i.e. slightly-above-average game reviews.

What's more, the writing itself isn't even that good - a step above a lot of the gaming press, sure, but just like the subject matter there's a complete and utter lack of professionalism to it that shines through. I've seen casual forum posts with more cohesion, poeticism and literary technique.

That said, I can't fault this guy's business sense. Put up an esoteric background, throw the word "art" around a lot, charge an entrance fee, and you create an instant illusion of seniority and exclusivity which people are more than happy to buy into. I almost wish I had thought of that first, but I guess I'm not enough of a fucking asshole to do so.

made

Arcane
Aldebaran said:
In sum: I am NOT saying that the games I prefer are the UNIVERSALLY BETTER games. What I AM saying is that I am the highest life-form so far to engage in game criticism, therefore my tastes will also be generally the highest. "Highest" here does not mean APPROPRIATE FOR EVERYONE — it means "appropriate for higher life-forms".

THE OVERMAN PUT THE PERIOD OUTSIDE OF THE QUOTATIONS.
As he should in this case. Only stupid Americans blindly follow that arbitrary rule.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
made said:
As he should in this case. Only stupid Americans blindly follow that arbitrary rule.

Stupid Canadians as well, evidently.

So he is not American? I am surprised. Is he at least from one of the areas of Europe where I might be able to say, "Sure, I made a highly incorrect statement in all capital letters, and a large font, but at least I don't live in [Insert something here. Albania perhaps?]."

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
SCO said:
You need to be some kind of moron to pay for a internet site.
His site isn't polluted with ads and you have to pay just for the forum access, not for viewing the articles. IMHO a better way of making money on a site/covering hosting costs than having animated ads everywhere.

thesoup said:
Sorry for digging this thread up, but our dear icycalm has quoted some posters who have praised him in this thread. Too bad he didn't link the entire thread.

http://culture.vg/praise-for-insomnia.html
Just search for "rpg codex".
:)

sea said:
I read a few of the articles. They aren't terrible by any means, but a lot of it strikes me as melodramatic, and dare I say, entirely amateurish. For a web site supposedly so deeply dedicated to the study of games, there is a colossal lack of insight, analysis or actual critical thinking in any of the pieces, at least compared to genuinely good sources of academic thought on videogames, such as the (free) Game Studies journal.
Interesting. I have never heard of it.

http://gamestudies.org/0902/articles/schulzke

OMFr5.png

The screen has higher XP because I didn't think about taking it when starting the experiment and had to load and walk there again and met a radscorpion.

B27Qm.png

3POK7.png

3lysv.png

RmSBM.png

Jesus fucking Christ.

sea said:
This is the worst kind of journalism - the kind that thinks it's genuinely "better", more insightful, more engaging and interesting than others, and is so concerned with playing into that image rather than actually saying anything particularly interesting; the kind of thing whereby quoting Nietzsche, that alone is supposed to somehow elevate the content beyond the base subject matter, i.e. slightly-above-average game reviews.
True. Though, it could be said that in the realm of the blind, one eyed is a king.

thesoup

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
SCO said:
His site isn't polluted with ads and you have to pay just for the forum access, not for viewing the articles.
Wrong.
http://culture.vg/index.php?option=com_ ... BzMy5odG1s
Try to view this LA Noire review.

Ever since he moved to this culture.vg bullshit he started charging a yearly fee for everything but his old content.

Btw, he's Greek.

Check out the forums. There's two subforums you can view as a guest. So many suck ups and so many people banned for disagreeing with him or for insulting his ego in any way.

He also keeps track of every referral ever. If that's not OCD, I don't know what is. He's constantly trying to find what others say about him. If any of you click any link here, he will undoubtedly know and call us "fagots" and subhumans on his forum.

He plans on writing a billion books about games he plans to sell so people can read them as a requirement to understand his reviews and the forum rules. He's the Steve Jobs of gaming journalism.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
thesoup said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
SCO said:
His site isn't polluted with ads and you have to pay just for the forum access, not for viewing the articles.
Wrong.
http://culture.vg/index.php?option=com_ ... BzMy5odG1s
Try to view this LA Noire review.

Ever since he moved to this culture.vg bullshit he started charging a yearly fee for everything but his old content.
I see. I think it's quite reasonable when one wants to make a living as a game journalist. To offer a big sample of ones work and then charge subscription for the rest. And 25 Euro per year is a pretty moderate sum (not that I'd pay it).

thesoup said:
Check out the forums. There's two subforums you can view as a guest. So many suck ups and so many people banned for disagreeing with him or for insulting his ego in any way.

He also keeps track of every referral ever. If that's not OCD, I don't know what is. He's constantly trying to find what others say about him. If any of you click any link here, he will undoubtedly know and call us "fagots" and subhumans on his forum.

He plans on writing a billion books about games he plans to sell so people can read them as a requirement to understand his reviews and the forum rules. He's the Steve Jobs of gaming journalism.
Crazy stuff :D .

hoopy

Savant
Surf Solar said:
How can people take such individuals serious?

Gotta love the categories there.

"Artistic Art".

:salute:
It's a joke.

sea said:

What's more, the writing itself isn't even that good - a step above a lot of the gaming press, sure, but just like the subject matter there's a complete and utter lack of professionalism to it that shines through. I've seen casual forum posts with more cohesion, poeticism and literary technique.

That said, I can't fault this guy's business sense. Put up an esoteric background, throw the word "art" around a lot, charge an entrance fee, and you create an instant illusion of seniority and exclusivity which people are more than happy to buy into. I almost wish I had thought of that first, but I guess I'm not enough of a fucking asshole to do so.
Four paragraphs and you didn't even say anything. What articles did you read and why were they so unspeakably awful?

I think Insomnia is still the only worthwhile site about video games. If icycalm wrote about his bowel movements and how they relate to the last game he played, it would still be better than reading about Leigh Alexander's identity crisis or Yahtzee's sexual orientation. Speaking of Alexander, Cocksucking Videogameland is one of my favorite Insomnia articles.

Oriebam

hoopy said:
Surf Solar said:
How can people take such individuals serious?

Gotta love the categories there.

"Artistic Art".

:salute:
It's a joke.

sea said:

Four paragraphs and you didn't even say anything. What articles did you read and why were they so unspeakably awful?

I think Insomnia is still the only worthwhile site about video games. If icycalm wrote about his bowel movements and how they relate to the last game he played, it would still be better than reading about Leigh Alexander's identity crisis or Yahtzee's sexual orientation. Speaking of Alexander, Cocksucking Videogameland is one of my favorite Insomnia articles.

If there's as much hate as in that last article you linked then he got another reader :thumbsup:
But what is the point of this discussion, one may reasonably ask? So what if there's a dumb bitch filling the internet with nonsense -- she's not the first and certainly won't be the last. Well yeah, the only difference being that this dumb bitch is not only filling up her own blog with nonsense: she's also filling up Gamasutra, Wired, Kotaku, Variety, and a host of other places. She's practically everywhere these days; my glance at her blog led me to half a dozen other sites she's been polluting, without counting the numerous so-called "podcasts" she always seems to be yapping on -- all the while every page of hers I've come across strikes me as having the phrase "I AM VAPID, STUPID, AND UNEDUCATED" splattered all over it in massive red letters. And when I read her shit and come across phrases such as "its playability hinges squarely and mundanely on just how gamelike it is", it's as if her entire life's story had suddenly leapt out of the page and began playing itself out right in front of my eyes: the early beatings, molestations, orphanages and foster homes, followed by the initiation gang rapes and five-dollar blowjobs on street corners: until that fateful day when the 38-year-old game journ-lol-list who she had just deflowered, breathlessly promised, while holding his tiny, yellowish cum-stained prick in both hands and trembling all over from heart-rending emotion, to make her "THE QUEEN OF GEAM JOURN-LOL-LISM!" But how to make this dumb, illiterate prostitute turn out acceptable magazine copy? (acceptable, it should go without saying, by the standards of games journ-lol-lists...) In the same way the journ-lol-list landed his own job in the first place: by using a thesaurus to turn sentences such as "vroom vroom vroom fun! dis iz a good gamez!" into something acceptable for today's gaming publications, such as perhaps "ITS PLAYABILITY HINGES SQUARELY AND MUNDANELY ON JUST HOW GAMELIKE IT IS."

On a more serious note, I am only half-kidding here. There is zero doubt that the reason this little tramp, and others like her, have been allowed to flood gaming publications with their incoherent babbling is because of the sexual frustrations of socially-stunted virgin game journ-lol-lists. Take Chris Kohler, for example, the fat ugly fuck who runs Wired's games blog. OR PERHAPS IT'S A COINCIDENCE THAT WHEN THIS POKEMAN OTAKU WAS GIVEN A BUDGET TO HIRE PEOPLE TO HELP HIM OUT, THREE OUT OF THE FOUR HE PICKED WERE GIRLS. AND WHAT DOES IT MATTER IF THE MOST THEY WERE CAPABLE OF DOING IS COPY-PASTE LEFTOVER LULZ FROM OTHER BLOGS OR RECORD FOR POSTERITY THEIR WII FIT-JUMPING ANTICS? WHAT DOES IT MATTER IF WIRED MAGAZINE, A SOMETIMES GENUINELY WORTHWHILE PUBLICATION, "THE BIBLE OF THE DIGITAL AGE", AS IT HAS BEEN CALLED BY AT LEAST ONE PERSON WHO KNOWS WHAT HE'S ON ABOUT, HAS THE WORST MAINSTREAM GAMING BLOG IN THE WORLD -- WORSE EVEN THAN KOTAKU AND JOYSTIQ? -- GAME REPORTING IS NOT WHAT KOHLER HIRED THE BITCHES FOR.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
My main problem with that site is that the articles are fun to read and long which makes it even worse time-eater than TV Tropes.

Oriebam

Awor Szurkrarz said:
My main problem with that site is that the articles are fun to read and long which makes it even worse time-eater than TV Tropes.

that shit's easy to manage bro

Oriebam

If you really can't just remember to read shit later once you reached a "checkpoint", start saving the tabs somehow(lots of ways, I don't mean exclusively going caveman on your shit and actually saving whole pages to your hard drive) you don't need to be a brian surgeon to figure shit out

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom