Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Interplay sold

money laundering

Wilco said:
Spectacle said:
Whatever Financial Planning and Development S.A are planning to do with the corpse of Interplay, I have a feeling developing games is not it. Tax dodge, money laundering, there are plenty of possibilities.

Eh.. can someone please explain this? I know close to nothing about buying or selling shares, how exactly will they use Interplay for tax evasion and/or money laundering?

That's easy - it has nothing to do with buying/selling shares, and everything to do with having a company whose profit and loss is difficult to predict. You see in the nice old days for gangsters, they could just pimp some prostitutes, launder some money, deal a few drugs and bootleg alcohol and then go live in their mansions, stopping only to fill a speakeasy with Tommy-gun bullets for lulz every now and then. Then the feds in the US got wise and prosecuted the gangster head Al Calpone for.....tax evasion. You see they couldn't nail him on his various crimes, but they COULD show that he has a f**** huge house, cars etc and must have a lot of money - and he hasn't been declaring ANY of it on his tax forms:).

Since then, that has become standard tax office procedure around the world. In most countries the tax office comes along, checks out how much money you have and tax you on it. Now that's ok, if you're a badass mafia boss you can probably afford to pay the tax. But then there is teensy problem of explaining how it was that you EARNT the money. And this is where obscure companies come in handy.

In some countries it has gotten to the point where (eg in my state of Western Australia) if you can't explain where you got the money to buy your house/car/bank account etc, the prosecution can DEEM that you must have got it illegally and hence confiscate the whole fucking lot! So if you want to make $$$ from money laundering or drugs, you need to have a cover. Most of the mobsters in Aus have traditionally used nightclubs. The reason is that whilst most nightclubs make fuck all, it is almost impossible to PROVE what they make or lose - if you're rigging the books there's simply no way that a tax inspector can estimate your takings, it is just too difficult to keep track of all the different people buying drinks etc, and you have so many different suppliers (plus door charge, which you can just make up) that they can't trace it that way either.

Now they could be using Interplay for that, but it's unlikely, as you could easily trace their profits by tracking what they've sold to retailers and publishers etc. MORE LIKELY they could be using the other method - i.e. HIDING the money. What this involves is having a company that could feasibly be losing a lot of money, but again it is very difficult to check how much. Then you invest lots of the money that you've gained from your pimping and drugdealing into the company but only in things that are (a) resellable AND (b) difficult to nail an exact price on. So when you want the money you can 'withdraw' it by selling company stock where the transactions can be falsified (i.e. the values changed). This then lets you reinvest into setups of the first type mentioned above (or even legit investments) at a slow and steady rate, making it more difficult to detect.

Capisce?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Andhaira said:
@Bro No: You ultimate ignorrat, EA is focusingon the rpg market. They already have a large part of it cornered thanks to purchase of Bio, now they want to capture the ONLINE rpg market (fallout online along with Bio's MMORPG) Also, purchase of Interplay gives them the right to the Baldurs Gate liscense name.

EA doesn't purchase through proxy of Luxembourg's societé anonyme.

Andhaira said:
But oh NOES! Oh teh HOrrOr!! Bio don't have rights to baldurs gate liscense nymore! :(
(...)
What if they purchased the company that owns the rights to baldurs gate??

Two points:
- BioWare never owned the Baldur's Gate rights
- Neither does Interplay

Interplay owns the Dark Alliance rights.

Baldur's Gate, like all D&D-related material, is owned by Hasbro/Atari.

Andhaira said:
They buy interplay via proxy. Why proxy? Because otherwise Interplay may not have sold since they hate Bio and don't want a BG3!

What?

Interplay didn't sell anything, Titus was forced into liquidation more than a year ago and sold its majority stock in Interplay then.

(I can't believe I actually replied to that post. I feel dirty now)

Andhaira

Arcane
@Bro No:I never said Bioware owned Baldurs Gate rights! At least read what I worte before blindly slamming away on your keyboard like a frothing, raving lunatic! :lol:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Andhaira said:
@Bro No:I never said Bioware owned Baldurs Gate rights! At least read what I worte before blindly slamming away on your keyboard like a frothing, raving lunatic! :lol:

Yes you did. "Bio don't have rights to baldurs gate liscense nymore!"
Assuming "nymore" means "anymore", you do realise the word "anymore" implies that they once did?
"I don't have a bicycle anymore" means I once had a bicycle.
But ok, in your version of English I suppose that sentence might actually mean "BioWare no longer has a licensing deal for the Baldur's Gate property"? If that's what you meant, you should've said that

That bits of retardation out of the way, don't you think it's slightly more relevant that your claims about Interplay owning the Baldur's Gate license or Interplay selling itself were both uninformed? It's okay to say "Oh sorry, I was wrong". Try it.

Lumpy

Arcane
Yea, I'm sure the shareholders totally gave a fuck about BG3 being made.

Andhaira

Arcane
@Bro No: Ok, I was wrong about interplay owning rights to baldurs gate 3. However, I am sure EA will still get something out if this. Think, damn it! Bio makes bg. Bg = high sales. EA buys Bio. Now EA buy's Interplay!

Maybe they want to cash in on the dark alliance liscense?

Anyhow, remember EA previouslytried cashing in on another famous rpg line: ULTIMA!

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Brother None said:
...we don't know if it's NOT Haerve...

Knowing the business practices in Luxembourg I think it's save to assume that this company was soley set up to create a situation in which HC could use his buying option.

The name of the company is telling: It is so generic (Financial Planning and Development is a normally a section in EVERY company) that it is very likely a bunch of lawyers who "manage" this letterbox aka faux company in their office.

It is very probably no venture capital fund, because those normally don't act from Luxembourg - the Bahamas are more like them.

crakkie

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
The interesting question would be: For how much was Interplay sold?
It's trading at $0.07 right now, so I guess 58,000,000 * 0.07 = $4,060,000?
Since it was "in a private sale by the bankruptcy trustee of Titus", I'm guessing it went for a bit less than that.

Maybe Haerve is buying himself up on the cheap from the ashes of his former company? A company whose bankruptcy he escaped relatively unharmed? Does he leave a trail like a slug when he walks?

Gildamere

Novice
Ausir said:
have been sold to a mysterious entity known as Financial Planning and Development S.A., which is not even googlable.

Interesting...

If I remember correctly FPD recently bought a German shipyard. They are apparently a Russian consortium partly owned by the Russian government and by a group of private investors. They seem to be the shit in naval engineering or something along those lines. At least that's what I heard on the radio...

Makes one wonder why they'd buy a computer gaming company...

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Gildamere said:
Ausir said:
have been sold to a mysterious entity known as Financial Planning and Development S.A., which is not even googlable.

Interesting...

If I remember correctly FPD recently bought a German shipyard. They are apparently a Russian consortium partly owned by the Russian government and by a group of private investors. They seem to be the shit in naval engineering or something along those lines. At least that's what I heard on the radio...

Link, please.

Gildamere

Novice
Sir_Brennus said:
Gildamere said:
Ausir said:

Interesting...

Link, please.

Sorry, no can do. Heard it on the radio at least a week ago, was a German news station (NDR Info).

I wish I could remember more details. Can't even remember which shipyard it was.

EDIT: scratch that, the corp that bought the shipyards was FLC not FPD. I got confused because both are based in Luxembourg.

That wasn't the best introduction to the board, I guess... ;)

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Sir_Brennus said:
Brother None said:
...we don't know if it's NOT Haerve...

Knowing the business practices in Luxembourg I think it's save to assume that this company was soley set up to create a situation in which HC could use his buying option.

The name of the company is telling: It is so generic (Financial Planning and Development is a normally a section in EVERY company) that it is very likely a bunch of lawyers who "manage" this letterbox aka faux company in their office.

It is very probably no venture capital fund, because those normally don't act from Luxembourg - the Bahamas are more like them.

Yup, that's my thinking.

crakkie said:
It's trading at $0.07 right now, so I guess 58,000,000 * 0.07 = $4,060,000?
Since it was "in a private sale by the bankruptcy trustee of Titus", I'm guessing it went for a bit less than that.

Maybe Haerve is buying himself up on the cheap from the ashes of his former company? A company whose bankruptcy he escaped relatively unharmed? Does he leave a trail like a slug when he walks?

Herve got his personal 6 million at .03 anyway.

But this sale actually happened back when Titus liquidated, in April 2007. The stock price wasn't 7 cents back then (no idea what it was, prolly lower).

For some reason the deal only came into force now

And here's the real funny thing. Eric Caen, Herve's brother, had to appoint a trustee to oversee the liquidation of Titus. Who do you think he appointed? That's right, Herve.

I'm sure there's something illegal going on here. I mean dang! Herve selling to Herve?

you're not making it easy

Andhaira said:
@Bro No: Ok, I was wrong about interplay owning rights to baldurs gate 3. However, I am sure EA will still get something out if this. Think, damn it! Bio makes bg. Bg = high sales. EA buys Bio. Now EA buy's Interplay!

Maybe they want to cash in on the dark alliance liscense?

Anyhow, remember EA previouslytried cashing in on another famous rpg line: ULTIMA!

Dude, being a free speech nutter I've defendend your posting rights a couple of times on this board, but seriously, YOU'RE NOT MAKING IT EASY!

Do you SERIOUSLY believe that EA buys through anonymous luxemborg shelf companies? That a multinational corporation would risk screwing their financial reputation and sending their stock price through the floor through fiscal dodginess for, what, lulz? When they could purchase it above board and in their own name with absolutely zero difficulty?

Besides, due to its size and public ownership, EA actually has to declare its corporate share purchases, including acquisitions of other companies. If it bought or founded some anonymous luxemborg company because their directors are delusional crackheads and want to make shareholders think that they are defrauding EAs assets, then it wouldn't be anonymous you twit. There is absolutely zero motivation for EA to act through some luxemborg shelf company.

Either:
(a) post a link showing that EAs directors are in fact delusional crackheads who are deliberately crashing their own stock value by engaging in dodgy shelf company proxies for lulz,
(b) show ANY legit reports that EA has purchased EITHER the shelf company in question OR Interplay

OR shut the fuck up with utterly inane theories

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"EA purchase Bioware, makers of teh Baldurs Gate, biggest rpg franchise of the new millenium."

How could that be when NWN was/is more successful than BG? R00fles!

Andhaira

Arcane
Re: you're not making it easy

Azrael the cat said:
Either:
(a) post a link showing that EAs directors are in fact delusional crackheads who are deliberately crashing their own stock value by engaging in dodgy shelf company proxies for lulz,
(b) show ANY legit reports that EA has purchased EITHER the shelf company in question OR Interplay

Here is a link!

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Brother None said:
I'm sure there's something illegal going on here. I mean dang! Herve selling to Herve?
Must... resist... posting... the... Venture... Bros... pic...

mysterype8.jpg

Sorry, BN, I failed my Will saving throw.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Volourn said:
"EA purchase Bioware, makers of teh Baldurs Gate, biggest rpg franchise of the new millenium."

How could that be when NWN was/is more successful than BG? R00fles!

That's true. NWN + 2 expansions sold 3 million copies, Baldur's Gate + expansion 2.6 million. Baldur's Gate + expansion sold 2.5 million, AFAIK.

But even though he's wrong (the biggest western RPG franchise is probably TES), I don't know if NWN as a franchise > BG as a franchise. That would mean that NWN + NWN2 > BG + BG2. I'm not so sure NWN2 sold 2 million copies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom