Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inventory screen

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
About the quantity of items you can see at the same time, I could only predict "issues" not in the weapons and armor tabs, but more in the alchemy and crafting components ones.

BTW, the tabs are: Weapons, Armor, Accesories, Alchemy Components, Crafting Components and All.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Now see how long it took to re-design only 3 interfaces out of ... (too lazy to count).

Let´s see...

- Main GUI
- Dialogue
- Inventory
- Trade
- Character
- Crafting
- Alchemy
- Map
- Journal
- Menus and Miscellaneous

That´s all I can guess. :)

And I want all of you to know one thing: I´m gonna finish them. :)

If you like my designs, you won´t be dissapointed. If you don´t, well, you can always hope for something better ;) And even if this is what you get, I think it´s better than the default GUI. :)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Elhoim said:
And I want all of you to know one thing: I´m gonna finish them. :)
You are a true patriot. :salute:

If you like my designs, you won´t be dissapointed. If you don´t, well, you can always hope for something better ;) And even if this is what you get, I think it´s better than the default GUI. :)
Your designs are great and your help is greatly appreciated.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
VD, looks great as always. You and your team are doing one hell of a band up job, let me tell you. I look forward to this game, and hopefully, your next!

denizsi

Arcane
Quite a lot. 25 unique weapon models x 4 metal upgrades x other upgrades (balance, edge, etc), helmets, armor (again, times upgrades), alchemy stuff (leafs, roots, chemicals), scrolls, rings, keys, amulets, potions, misc, etc.

It's more of a question of the average amount of items a player would have in inventory half way through the game. In Oblivion for instance, it's easily 40+ due to the nature of the game.

denizsi

Arcane
Toying with ideas as usual:

Instead of additional hand slots, bottom isn't grayed out and the hand slots down there are to be used in inventory screen.

Sorting buttons are vertical and right next to the scroll bar, which I claim is the best set up for practicality & functionality involving those elements.

Also instead of an inventory doll, I imagined an in-game focus to the player character. This would also bring some variety to how inventory looks based on in-game locations, in my opinion. A lower camera angle than the screenshot I used would probably be better for inventory use.

edit: Forgot to add: items in the inventory are only 75% of their original sizes (from screenshots and the sample images VD provided).

edit 2: I suggest embedded images instead of text labels, as could be seen in Elhoim's older inventory interface, or my hacks of Android's interface. I was going to add them but forgot to do so in the other interface thread.

45ab603b448e2848207579.jpg

( mirror )

Here's a suggestion / wish: A few, two or three colour sets of the final interface, to be used based on either in-game location or day time (if day&night cycle is applicable). Now some of you may call this graphics whoredom but I think it would be a decent and elegant surprise for a game where graphics aren't the main premise. If you were also to go with a window to in-game screen, it might add a great feel.

edit 3: I just noticed the image is 600 kb! I've forgotten to lower the image quality in photoshop apparently. Now it's about 200 kb.

Durwyn

Prophet
Great work Denizsi. One thing that i would change is to add some kind of slots label to know where head, torso and other things are. The idea with in-game character view is great and it suits with dialog in-game box.

Jora

Arcane
I really like denizsi's version. It's less crowded, easier to look at. The colors and the layout are more comfortable.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
My immediate criticism of denizi's offering is the lack of clear labeling of what slot does what. If you want to go with a screen showing your character currently, thats fine, but you still need to let players know which slot is for rings and which slot if weapons, etc.

Durwyn

Prophet
There's one thing more that troubles me. The items list on the right. Maybe someone should change the background (color, texture) of it, becouse items are too blending into it. I think that some lighter texture would do better

denizsi

Arcane
The colors and the layout are more comfortable.

Optical deception (due to redistribution of contrasting elements) at work as I haven't changed the colours a bit, I'm afraid.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I like denizsi's version as well, except the rearrangement of inventory slots and information. I find it odd that they are seperated like that. I'd prefer the inventory to be to the left with the information next to it.
The filter icons could be inbetween or in the free space at the top.

I really like the idea of using an ingame view of the player instead of a paperdoll.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I like it for the most part, but yeah... if you could make the items in the inventory smaller so you could fit more than that'd be swell. I like denizi's little lines that separate inventory items as well. And if you really feel the need to fill the space next to the X than somebody suggested putting the character's name which works.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Not bad, Denizsi ;)

(Redding is teh hard! :P)

I´m waiting on VD´s take on item size. I had A LOT of trouble arranging everything with the current size, but now it works fine. The only place that would really benefit from that is the quantity of viewable items, but as you can see, with a 25% reduction you would only see one more item, so I don´t think it´s worth the effort. And I´m pretty sure that VD wouldn´t make the icons smaller since icon art is one of the game strongest points.

Here is a version with a darker background for the items. Tell me if you like it better than the light one!

Rina

Scholar
I really hope that the background texture wont be that sharp in final version. It hurts my eyes, and will do even more so if I have to watch that with 1280x1024 resolution. :?

One Wolf

Scholar
i love the idea about the interface (or just the inventory) changing with night/day, it would add a lot.

denizsi

Arcane
The only place that would really benefit from that is the quantity of viewable items, but as you can see, with a 25% reduction you would only see one more item, so I don´t think it´s worth the effort.

Seeing one more item is still something, and it's not a huge stepback in "graphical appreciation". Also, remember Fallout's design. Items seen in inventory were even smaller (6 items viewable on a floating inventory, which didn't occupy the whole screen) and I don't think it had anything "missing" graphical-wise. Still, the items could be enlarged when you click on them & drag them, like in Fallout. Having items occupy that big a space is just ridiculous I think (and kind of shows that screen estate isn't being utilized for better usage).

except the rearrangement of inventory slots and information. I find it odd that they are seperated like that. I'd prefer the inventory to be to the left with the information next to it.

I tried and it looked kind of pointless and impractical to me. I thought it felt better to have it seperated like that because it's an immediate distraction when it is next to it (even though you won't be checking on your stats for every piece of equipment without an exception) and between that and equipment slots (again, to me at least). Having it on the other edge is kind of relaxing as well, spreading focus all over the interface instead of one hot spot.

The filter icons could be inbetween or in the free space at the top.

Just LARP over the images with cursor in Elhoim's. It feels so "out of sync", a broken flow of inventory use, especially just to make space for something else as if the sorting buttons are of secondary importance (they do look kind of unrelated, give it that). Now maybe if the sorting buttons were on top of the inventory, but then the already limited inventory view would be even smaller.

I like denizi's little lines that separate inventory items as well.

I forgot to mention that I put those lines just to emphasize that there's no inconsistent spacing between the items and that it looks fine that way.

Slylandro

Scholar
Elhoim, are you going to add the little lines denizsi had in his inventory panel?

Edit: Maybe I'm being too pragmatic, but it seems that the stat panel (Weight, Damage, DR, etc) shouldn't be between the inventory panel and the doll. It'll makes drag and drop more tedious, what with the extra distance. Maybe the stat panel and the tiny icon menu at the top can be shifted to the right of the screen, on the other side of the doll. But again this isn't really that big a deal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom