Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Invisible War has the worst voice acting ever in a game?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I never played Invisible War. But this talk about the new Deus Ex game tempted me to see some videos.

Mother of god.

Everybody in this game talks like they are having a casual water cooler conversation at a corporate headquarters. The voiceover is actually worse than Deus Ex.

When the hero talks to one of the main female villains, it sounds like a chat between a man who has just been visited by his mother in his apartment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAk21shueik

When JC Denton tells the hero that he is going to create a new "posthuman civilization", the hero responds, "Wow, that is a pretty tall order", like he just heard his boss cancel an office party. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBeoreJr4Yc

At least the bad VA in Deus Ex had humour value. What a shame.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I loved the voice acting in Deus Ex. I think it fit the mood of the game perfectly and made every character feel like a fucking badass. In those Invisible War clips it sounds like the voice actors simply didn't give a shit about anything. It's indeed atrocious.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, Invisible War's voice acting is awful, and it doesn't help that most of it sounds like it's been recorded through a tube half the time - some weird-ass reverb on everything. They obviously had no real director for voice work and just had some people read the lines out without any context or motivation beyond "bitch gotta get paid". The only two good voices in the game are JC and Paul, and even they sound kind of lifeless, no doubt again due to the lack of direction.

I mean, Engrishy stuff is bad, but at least you can laugh at it in a game like Deus Ex or Two Worlds. This is just sad, and it completely kills any potential drama the narrative might otherwise have had.

DraQ

Arcane
The worst voiceacting physically possible was in ONP for UT'99, though.

Ok, it was completely amateurish, but even by amateur standards the guy voicing the protagonist deserves baseball bat to the kneecaps.

DraQ

Arcane
Ed123 said:
markec said:

It's not even the VA, it's the totally inappropriate gesticulation that gets me. :lol:
Lulzy, but it's not much worse than oblivious VA.

Hell, are you sure acrania is worse than oblivious? Looks less derp and less generic.
:/

I don't have vids of ONP VAs at hand, but there existed a community quick fix that disabled the VOs altogether.
Yeah, I know that amateurs doing stuff for a mod aren't professionals, but if they are doing it for free, they should at least try - ONP is physically painful as far as voicework goes.

baronjohn

Cipher
Nice drawn portraits and text > 3d animations and voice acting, always and forever.

DraQ

Arcane
Ed123 said:
baronjohn said:
Nice drawn portraits and text > 3d animations and voice acting, always and forever.

Bullshitz.
This.

Of course, good portraits are better than shitty 3D anims, same when you have shitty voice actors and if you have a lot of characters with a lot of stuff to say text becomes automatically better due to having realistic memory requirements and cost, but it's far from general rule and trying to portray it as such is part of the few things I actually *hate* about the codex - retarded backwardness.

:retarded: said:
HERPDERP 3D ITZ TEH EVUUL DURRHURR VOICEACTING IS TEH WRONG TROLOLO RT IS SHITZ!Q!!!!1111111
:hmmm:
Do you morons listen to yourselves sometimes?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Ed123 said:
Bullshitz. It's easier to do the former well than it is the latter, but Bloodlines and the special conversations from Desu Ex HR did a great job with them. They wouldn't have been improved by switching to the old-skool method.
Yeah, Bloodlines truly proves how much voice acting can add to a game. The amount of NPCs was also relatively low in the game, which probably helped a lot as well.

On the other hand the voice acting in, say, Dragon Age made dialogues even more painful than they already were. If you're having a chat with a random peasant, you'd much rather just spend five seconds reading a few lines of text and get it over with than listen to some generic voice actor speak his boring lines for two minutes. That shit is just not necessary. I think NWN2 did this right by having close-up cutscenes for the most important conversations and simple text boxes for everything else.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Bitcher said:
This guy's voice is fucking hot when he imitates a girl. :oops:

l2vH5.png

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Gothic 1 and 2 have pretty horrible English voice overs. Gothic 2 in particular -- seems like they just grabbed half a dozen people from a $50 acting class in New Jersey (or maybe they wanted the people of Khorinis to sound like Atlantic City thugs) and sat them down in front of cheap boom mics. It's hilarious to listen to the actors take in a deep breath/pause in between each line.

deuxhero

Arcane
Eh, Gothic/Gothic 2 got noticeable "only 6 VAs" syndrome and didn't add anything to most conversations, but it was workable.

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean alters between delightfully hammy (Party members in battle), horribly wooden (any character that isn't a major one), hilariously hammy ("Look at my beautiful wings!") and actually fairly decent (Melodia pulls off her character well, unless she wasn't meant to be crazy. Some of the details in Orgins sadly do give her a decent reason for her actions beyond axe-crazyness).

The sequel's VA was, for better or worse, standard, with the more prominent VA's (JYB for Sagi) doing stuff. I do have to give Guillo's voice points though, the effect (a male and female voice actor played on top of each other) is so cool I actually listen to each line out of the puppet's mouth, the writing for its lines didn't hurt.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
The ony bad voice acting in games are the one that tries to be good.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
irregardless if you could care less're not, anus_pounder could of used better grammer then that, yay or nay

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom