Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inxile and Obsidian are making good games

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
InXile and Obsidian make passable but somewhat drudgy games that seem to know what should be done, but fail at the execution in a lot of small ways that pile up.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
but is PoE an RPG if you don't get XP for combat ? :philosoraptor:

I don't really care all that much about combat XP to be honest. While it does play towards the feeling of progression (which is a good thing), +5XP or something like that from killing a wolf doesn't really make me feel all that rewarded, at least not enough to make me lament the loss of it. Your philosoraptor with that particular question, though, isn't particularly "philoso-", but rather "debile-" or "igno-".

I haven't played Tyranny, but it seemed to me (from what little I bothered to follow it) that they were trying to (perhaps indirectly) take on that complaint with it's character system. I'd like to think PoE 2 to have a hybrid system that uses both conventional level ups and learning through doing, something similiar to Wizardry 8. But it probably won't.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
+5XP or something like that from killing a wolf doesn't really make me feel all that rewarded, at least not enough to make me lament the loss of it

Actualy it is if a game is made properly, look at Baldur's Gate 1 where your max level is 7, killing those wolves that get you 5xp might get you a level or two and that's a lot in that game.

One level difference in BG 1 means you might kill or die to some higher level mobs or a boss, because you need those extra HP or a spell.

So in essence PoE is designed poorly.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Not only poorly, in fact it might be one of the worst designed RPGs in history, with the worst character creation and development.

And unbalanced too.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
The character systems in PoE are full of shit. No question. But the combat XP stuff is really only a minor part of it.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
giphy.gif

D!!

Educated
Vanilla PoE was really mediocre "BG successor RPG", but with recent patches and White March it became pretty cool combat crawler game, not full-fledged RPG. Tyranny is complete opposite: great writing, decent reactivity, but even on hardest difficulty it plays like "story mode", gameplay is nonexistent in this game and you can't just dismiss it and call it a good RPG. More like good CYOA.

Wasteland 2, on the other hand, is diamond in the rough. I think expectations for this game were set too high after Kickstarter. Everyone wanted perfect oldschool RPG from theirs delusional nostalgia dreams and when we got low-budget, shit-looking, clunky, slow, unpolished game with terrible camera and broken promises, dissapointment and rage were too strong for us to see actually great RPG behind these flaws.

Still, I enjoyed all of the titles from both studios for greater or lesser extent.

And please, shut the fuck up ITS and Styg fanboys. AoD and Underrail are good games, yeah. But you are all look like damn crybaby hipsters, "betrayed" by your gods (Avellone, Fargo, Cain, etc.). You don't need good games. You need objects to fap, idols. Fuck you. I hope Vault Dweller will make a popamole shooter in the Colony Ship universe, maybe with the same engine, that will be super commercial success for your butthurt.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
I think you have the forum threads confused. The OP should go into "Trigger the Codex with a statement".

upGlA7Y.gif

Completely off topic, but fuck that's some neat stage stuntwork there by the guy that's not Trump. They've obviously invited Trump in as a celeb, where the WWE 'regular' has to do all the work and just give the celeb one simple movement, while looking like like he's getting his ass kicked. Emoting through big wide hand gestures that would make a musical theatre star proud, (remember it's live, there's a fucking huge audience in a fucking huge stadium, small facial acting isn't going to 'read' jack shit to the audience) yet manages to look pretty damn authentic despite having to do a huge telegraph of the 'arms raised, pokes aggressively in the chest' so that the kids in the back rows can see. And that's before doing a backward somersault over a table.

If you didn't know it was WWE, or Trump, the only giveaway that it's staged is the way the guy slaps his left arm down to do a 'safety fall' (stage move where you've done some big stunt first, there's a fair chance that it could end up uncontrolled, and so you deliberately slap the floor hard with your arm when landing, so that the impact goes through that joint instead of your neck/back), and he even manages to cover that really well by using his other arm to 'act hurt' (moving it bent towards his head like you would if you were genuinely injured).

I'm damn glad that these days WWE performers are finally getting their respect as showmen/performers. I'm not saying it's filled with great actors - Broadway musicals aren't filled with great actors, because being good at acting, singing and dancing all at once is a really weird skill combo (especially because the 3rd part needs pro-sports level physical training for around 3-5 years before they can slack off and 'just perform') to the point where you might get a handful per generation can are genuinely great at all 3. Apply the same reasoning to WWE, and think 'who the fuck is going to be even half-decent at showmanship, and be able to keep that physical bodybuilder shape, and do that kind of stage stuntwork (which is actually easier for wiry little guys - WWE performers have to develop a body shape that's completely opposite to their skill set).

I remember there being a sort of turning point where when the Rock went into film, and insisted on being credited under his real name 'Dwayne Johnson'. There was this mixed reaction amongst critics, with an initial instinctive snicker like they used to, before people starting pointing out 'uh...he's an ultra-elite stage stuntman, and a successful pantomime actor....I think he's fucking qualified.'

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
My question is why you bundled those two studios together. It's clear a lot of people here hate one and love the other.

anus_pounder

Arcane

Obsidian? Yes. Flawless record. I've bought every single one of their games at full price, even though I haven't necessarily played all of them.

InExile? Debatable. TToN is shaping up to be an amazing game, but Wasteland 2 was shit. Very mixed record. I'd recommend caution when buying their products.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom