Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Dawn of War 2 worth a damn?

Topher

Cipher
Destroid said:
Topher said:
Retribution is a stand-alone expansion pack.

What I mean is - it doesn't connect to Dawn of War 2 in any way, apart from utilising most of the same units and features. The players from retribution will not even be able to play with those who have previous Dawn of War 2 releases from what I understand. The two are now divergent developments of the same root product.

From what I understand Retribution players can play MP and Last Stand with all other players but they can only use the races from the Retribution expansion. I'm not for sure though but that's how all the other expansions have worked and that's how the press release made it sound.

Destroid

Arcane
It was mentioned earlier in this thread that the additional units and factions will not be made available to players with DoW2/RoC. DoW:R also does not use GFWL which functions as the matchmaker for DoW2/RoC.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Topher said:
Destroid said:
Topher said:
Retribution is a stand-alone expansion pack.

What I mean is - it doesn't connect to Dawn of War 2 in any way, apart from utilising most of the same units and features. The players from retribution will not even be able to play with those who have previous Dawn of War 2 releases from what I understand. The two are now divergent developments of the same root product.

From what I understand Retribution players can play MP and Last Stand with all other players but they can only use the races from the Retribution expansion. I'm not for sure though but that's how all the other expansions have worked and that's how the press release made it sound.

Normally yes, but not this time becaus they are dropping the horrible match making service of GFWL and the retarded rules that Microsoft have in place for it in favour of steam.

So Retribution is a complete standalone, but it is not know if the story will involve the blood ravens or not.

Topher

Cipher
...but it is not know if the story will involve the blood ravens or not.

From the info I've read it doesn't sound like the Blood Ravens will be prominent but I've yet to read anything conclusive.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just to clear things up for me, you have:

-> the basic Dawn of War 2 (space marines),
-> expansion Chaos Rising (stand alone? dunno)
-> DLC/patch "The Last Stand"
-> expansion Retribution (stand alone, steam) with Eldar (is this already released?)

So, I will be trying the full trial from TPB first, think Chaos Rising. If fun, might remove a Retribution from inventory. Sounds like a plan ?

Destroid

Arcane
Doesn't Chaos Rising directly follow after the plot of Dawn of War 2? You should probably play it in sequence if you are interested in the plot.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
It follows but it's a separate plot, kinda like a sequel rather than a continuation. The same characters were also from DoW1 so following that logic you might as well play all through those games.

The thing is that the CR campaign is a lot better than vanilla DoW2 so playing the latter might turn you off, as it did me when I played a while ago.

Also, I need someone to play 2v2 or 3v3 with. It's like 1/5 chance to get a decent team (horrible matchmaking, GWFL) or at least one that is balanced against the opposing team. And I kinda suck anyway.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
You know what I hate about every RTS? The lack of zooming out. If I were a strategist I would not be flipping around to every single skirmish, but have a big overlay with all the essential data easy to see (so, no, a minimap doesn't cut it). Imagine if you could only see a 2squarex2square section of a chessboard at a time. Ugh.

So yeah, that's my excuse to why I suck at maintaining a vision of the entire battlefield.

I guess I should try Supreme Commander someday...

Destroid

Arcane
Even with the zoom (which is an awesome feature) it's still not easy to maintain a good conception of everything that is going on.

Antihero

Liturgist
I don't know about DoW 2, but I'm pretty sure the previous ones had mods where you could zoom out further as it was just controlled by lua scripts.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Destroid said:
I'll install again tomorrow for some codex DoW2.

You in yet? My steam and GWFL should both be "zhandao"

Let's play some real matches, folks. I'm not that good so no worries.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I really don't think Chaos is suited for my playstyle. Unfortunately that means I must suck it up until the expansion comes out...

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Mangoose said:
You know what I hate about every RTS? The lack of zooming out. If I were a strategist I would not be flipping around to every single skirmish, but have a big overlay with all the essential data easy to see (so, no, a minimap doesn't cut it). Imagine if you could only see a 2squarex2square section of a chessboard at a time. Ugh.

So yeah, that's my excuse to why I suck at maintaining a vision of the entire battlefield.

I guess I should try Supreme Commander someday...

Ooooh...you should try RUSE. Awsome camera, if you zoom all the way out the (huge) map becomes one of those map/strategy tables inside some generals bunker/room. Also, as you zoom out - the units gradually clump together until they are just markers (of the type said general would move around the table with one of those stick thingies).

Destroid

Arcane
Hey, sorry haven't got around to installing it, I'll PM you my GFWL details when I get it setup.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I'm struggling through vanilla campaign because I have nothing better to do. You know, it's really not that bad ... excluding the boss fights (of course). Just played this one mission with no bosses and it was pretty fun.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
It's cool. I'm interested in EU3 too but I'm too lazy to learn its complexity because I've got university engineering projects up the wazoo.

Actually had an idea, might read the EU3 manual if I have downtime at work on monday.

Destroid

Arcane
To be honest, EU3 isn't that complicated. I'd say it's much easier to learn EU3 than it is to learn HoI.

I just read through the Magna Mundi manual, haven't had any problems really.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I haven't played any Paradox games and I just assumed there'd be some learning to do than just getting the game and blasting around (like in DoW2, I guess).

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Mangoose said:
I'm struggling through vanilla campaign because I have nothing better to do. You know, it's really not that bad ... excluding the boss fights (of course). Just played this one mission with no bosses and it was pretty fun.

Try out the expansion it is a million times better and less retarded boss fights.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom