Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Is Shadowrun Hong Kong worth it?

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's like when Obsidian approached EA to do a licensed Ultima game and were replied with "Uh, we have Bioware for RPGs."

Didn't even know this happened. And then they are just sitting on that IP doing nothing with it haarrrrr

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Modern day MS who need Gamepass fodder might think differently about a smaller budget RPG contracted out, though it would have to work across all devices.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Obsidian should do an expansion to Tyranny that fixes the game and actually goes somewhere.

almondblight

Arcane
Worth mentioning that Mike McCain (director of Shadowrun) left HBS months ago and is now doing freelance art work. I always wondered how much of Dragonfall's success was due to it being a fairly small team that might have had less involvement from the higher-ups (it initially was planned to be a short mission pack type expansion).

Not sure how important the Shadowrun IP is, though, since it's pretty much just a ripoff of Gibson (directly lifting things like New Yen, Street Samurai, ICE and Cyberdecks) with generic fantasy awkwardly shoehorned in. It would be pretty easy to make a new setting that does the same.

almondblight

Arcane
it's pretty much just a ripoff of Gibson (directly lifting things like New Yen, Street Samurai, ICE and Cyberdecks) with generic fantasy awkwardly gloriously shoehorned in

Whether or not the idea of adding fantasy to cyberpunk is awesome, the way it's added to Shadowrun (at least the games I've played and the lore I've happened across) always seemed a bit haphazard to me. On the one magic is supposed to be relatively ubiquitous, on the other it seems like it gets forgotten a lot of the time while the story goes full Gibson cyberpunk. You run into Corps that have magical research labs and mages on security, but they don't seem to be mass producing any magic goods and are mostly acting like a generic cyberpunk megacorp. If you wanted to have a "Gibson with magic" setting I think you could probably find a better way to go about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom