Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is there a SPECIAL rulebook?

Jenos Idanian

Novice
Jed said:
What is wrong with you people? Just roll 5 d20.

Kinda tricky to roll 1-4 don't ya think?

Dragon

Augur
Jed wrote:
What is wrong with you people? Just roll 5 d20.

Nope. It's not the same. The chances are not equally distributed. Rolling 1D12 is not the same as rolling 2D6 : 1 chance in 12 for each number for the first, differences for the second : no chances for 1, 1 in 6*6=36 for 2, 2 in 36 for 3 (2 possibilities : 1+2 and 2+1), ...
The idea is simply that you take less risks by throwing 5D20 than by throwing 1D100 (using 2D10 for example).

DarkSign

Erudite
There are webpages and Excel spreadsheets you can dl that will simulate dice rolls for you.

After consulting my hard-copy print-out of the Fallout PnP game it does have dice-roll equivalents for armor, weapon, and other stats.

Ausir

Arcane
there's another argument why dices can't be used! the maximum skill is 300% not 100%! If we use traditional dice, then there's no need for having skills higher than 100%

The maximum skill can be 300%, but the chance for success is never higher than 95%. Skill over 100% is just for nullifying various modifiers (for lighting, cover, test difficulty modifiers etc.).Results ranging from 96 to 100 are always failures (or critical failures).

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Oh, btw, if you need random number between 0 and 100, you can optimize that calculator thing simpply by calling that RND function. Each time you call it, it returns a number between 0 and 1 which is basically the same as 0 to 100 - you just read two following digits.

Like, if you get 0,1712939003 it means you "rolled" 17. It's even easier - simply push two buttons and voilā - the result is there. Two buttons (usually "2nd" and '0', but it depends on calculator).

Hah!

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
You're not allowed to include in Fallout: PNP:

Tribals
New Reno
Anything else from Fallout 2, FOBOS, or FOT
or I will lynch you.

And change your avatar.

Chefe

Erudite
You know what they say, SPECIAL rules for "Special" people. :)

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
You're not allowed to include in Fallout: PNP:

Tribals
New Reno
Anything else from Fallout 2, FOBOS, or FOT
or I will lynch you.

And change your avatar.
Um, why not New Reno? I'm sure if you changed around a couple of things that made it more logical it could be pretty sweet.

Tribals can be cool, too. Just because the game fucked them up, doesn't mean they should be totally excluded.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
LlamaGod said:
So it is true...

Latvians are all dumb

Yep, but still smarter than the Estonians; those people are truely retarded.
And let us not even talk about the Lithuanians :oops:

GoldLeader

Scholar
For your information, Latvians are smarter than you, idiots from the US, or should i say - fattest nation in the world! For a nation with an IQ of 80 you sure speak much! And if i think New Reno is logical, that doesn't mean i'm dumb!

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
GoldLeader said:
AMRICANS DUMB I SAMRT LOLZ!!~!11
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Latvia
This is what happens when Latvians get their grubby little paws on magic computers...
What is more, Latvia has a weapon of mass destruction - a so called toilet bomb which showers the surrounding area with thousands of toilets, destroying any living creature which makes contact with their hazardous contents.
I do like this picture though
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Image:Latvia.jpg
GoldLeader said:
And if i think New Reno is logical, that doesn't mean i'm dumb!
Yes it does.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Some people started their Fallout adventures from Fallout2 and accepted its universe with all those crazy and illogical design decisions. I was one of them. I took that setting with NewReno and tribals as pretty cliche and stylized post-apocalyptic setting. Not realistic. And, since game was great (and is, still) I grew to accept and like it.

This is why I cannot share your hatred towards tribals, mafia or car. I played Fallout2 first and found it great. Then I got to play Fallout, and it was different experience.

LlamaGod

Cipher
I played Fallout 2 first, was bothere by all the dumb jokes and the Temple of Trials and then I played 1 and realized just how lame 2's setting was.

Straight post-apocalypse is awesome in 1, they had to ruin it with all this goofy shit in 2.

GoldLeader

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
GoldLeader said:
AMRICANS DUMB I SAMRT LOLZ!!~!11
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Latvia
This is what happens when Latvians get their grubby little paws on magic computers...
What is more, Latvia has a weapon of mass destruction - a so called toilet bomb which showers the surrounding area with thousands of toilets, destroying any living creature which makes contact with their hazardous contents.
I do like this picture though
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Image:Latvia.jpg
GoldLeader said:
And if i think New Reno is logical, that doesn't mean i'm dumb!
Yes it does.
LOL! Using Uncyclopedia as your argument...now THAT'S smart! :cool:
And yes...i started with Fallout 2 as well...and i think it's the BEST damn RPG ever! THe goofy funny stuf just makes it better! The humour is great! And the tribals...well...yeah...that IS a problem....

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Looks like someone missed the point...

And, "THe goofy funny stuf" is fairly goofy but rarely funny. Aren't you sure you'd rather be playing Leisure Suit Larry? There's boobs lolz!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom