Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is there any hope for the Sonic the Hedgehog series?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
It seems like everything after Sonic Adventures has been cursed or some shit. I haven't personally played any of the newer ones but god, I have heard nothing to encourage me to do so. From Sonic Unleashed to Sonic and the Black Knight along with Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), I just wonder who the fuck is running the Sonic Team and why they haven't been fired yet.

Is there any hope for the blue balls furry?

They're trying to do Sonic 4 like they used to do the old games. That might do something, who knows.

Archibald

Arcane
I often think that they forgot what made Sonic great. I played few newer ones on emulators and they all lack something vital.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Should there be any hope for it? Of course I'll assume this is a sarcastic thread directed at the milking of the Sonic and Mario franchises into the ground.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
No. Everything but the genesis games has been mediocre at best. Sega inflicts cancer and diarrhea on everything that they touch and until they hand it off to a competent developer it will keep getting worse and worse.

And even then, it doesn't really deserve to get any better. The lasty good game in the series is S3&K, and Sonic is a horrible character even by mascot platforming standards.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Metro said:
Should there be any hope for it? Of course I'll assume this is a sarcastic thread directed at the milking of the Sonic and Mario franchises into the ground.
Hey, Mario Wii was awesome. If Sonic 4 is to the old Sonics what Mario Wii was to the old Marios, I'm all for it and I definitely would want a PC port while they're at it.

halolz-dot-com-sonicthehedgehog-sidekickscomic.gif

Then again, I tend to like the new characters. The main problem is keeping the fast gameplay without making the player feel on rails and having good camera (Sonic Heroes, for example, was fast and you could see where you're going, but sometimes you could release the controller and your team would keep going on momentum alone).

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Who the hell is that running behind Tails in 1993? because, as deuxhero pointed out, there was no one but Sonic and Tails in 1993.

I didn't mind either Tails or Knuckles... well at least Knuckles in S3&K since he was the antagonist. Sonic 3D was shit (ugh), and then with the new generation stuff I just lost interest.

Is it worth trying to get into Heroes?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Sceptic said:
Who the hell is that running behind Tails in 1993? because, as deuxhero pointed out, there was no one but Sonic and Tails in 1993.
It's Amy Rose, whose first appearance was in 1993's Sonic CD.

Also there might be hope for Sonic, but I'm not very optimistic. SEGA has basically managed to destroy him more and more with every game they've made. Kinda like what Nintendo's done with Samus.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Andyman Messiah said:
SEGA has basically managed to destroy him more and more with every game they've made.
I'm not sure I agree. In terms of overall balance I still consider the first to be perfect, but in terms of Sonic = platformer whizzing by at supersonic (hurr) speeds Sonic 2 did it even better. 3 & Knuckles, while faaaaaaaaar too slow-paced compared to their predecessors, were still great games with some awesome level design and frikkin awesome music. I always blamed 3D for the decline, but then again I never played CD.

(btw there's a pretty good remix of the Sonic 3 final boss. And yes I know that the guy looks like a total dork, but he's good.)

DamnedRegistrations said:
Tails. I generally assumed so.

There's also Sonic the Hedgehog.

10st0.jpg

Sceptic said:

As the horsie pointed out, that's Amy's old design

Sonic_and_Amy.png

Sonic CD, man :godimsomadtheyremovedthissmiley:

bonus:

255px-RosyRascal01.png

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Luzur said:
:lol:

Sonic is NOT about running fast. Check out Sonic Advance 2. Very fast game, almost no enemies. You can beat most levels by holding the right arrow down. It's awful.

Sonic is about just platforming with a more interesting moveset than Mario. While the Mario games work well in 3d the sonic design team has no clue what it's doing.

Sonic Advance 1 was decent enough.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Sceptic said:
Andyman Messiah said:
SEGA has basically managed to destroy him more and more with every game they've made.
I'm not sure I agree. In terms of overall balance I still consider the first to be perfect, but in terms of Sonic = platformer whizzing by at supersonic (hurr) speeds Sonic 2 did it even better. 3 & Knuckles, while faaaaaaaaar too slow-paced compared to their predecessors, were still great games with some awesome level design and frikkin awesome music. I always blamed 3D for the decline, but then again I never played CD.
I should have clarified my post a bit. It's generally with the 3D games I feel Sega has lost the ball. The camera, the weird controls, the stupid "adventure" aspect where Sonic suddenly has to talk to boring humans to learn about his special moves... It's just bad and it's not what I want from a Sonic game. They actually came pretty close at making a good 3D Sonic game with Sonic Unleashed, but those stages were greatly overshadowed by the long, slow-moving shitty Prince of Persia knockoff bullshit stages.

By the way, Sonic CD is the best Sonic game. Check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPC8W672mXc

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom