Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is there any value in allowing characters to walk rather than run in an isometric RPG?

Codex Year of the Donut
During the development of InXile's Torment, I asked one of the devs why the party members only had run animations [no walking state], and the dev shamelessly admitted to not understanding why it was needed. Imagine them trying to make a classic RPG like Fallout or Planescape—with that and all the other things they'd not understand the need for.
good response from the dev

Glop_dweller

Prophet
...good response from the dev
Ignorant response from the dev. Aside from making an RPG [and hence a PC that cannot walk, and so will obviously act out of character at times], they were also making a followup to Planescape, which even had a [pseudo] quest that required not running; (the acquired disguise [make-up] would be ruined if Nameless ran while wearing it).

Codex Year of the Donut
...good response from the dev
Ignorant response from the dev. Aside from making an RPG [and hence a PC that cannot walk, and so will act out of character at times], they were also making a followup to Planescape, which even had a quest that required not running.
good response, people who turn on walking in video games just so they can "roleplay" are weirdos

Glop_dweller

Prophet
...good response, people who turn on walking in video games just so they can "roleplay" are weirdos
There shouldn't be the option to turn it off, and ideally the game should take running/walking into account with NPC reactions, and with skill checks.

But of course that's not the point... The guy just assumed that no one would ever walk when they could run; and the scope of the game lost any potential use from the ability to walk slowly or carefully. The utter nonsense that a party would run through a minefield—for lack of the ability to walk.

Codex Year of the Donut
...good response, people who turn on walking in video games just so they can "roleplay" are weirdos
There shouldn't be the option to turn it off, and ideally the game should take running/walking into account with NPC reactions, and with skill checks.
"wow you're running?! HOW COULD YOU RUN SOMEWHERE?! THIS WILL AFFECT ALL MY INTERACTIONS WITH YOU!!! I HATE PEOPLE WHO MOVE FAST!!!"

what

Glop_dweller

Prophet
"wow you're running?! HOW COULD YOU RUN SOMEWHERE?! THIS WILL AFFECT ALL MY INTERACTIONS WITH YOU!!! I HATE PEOPLE WHO MOVE FAST!!!"

what
Hardly. It —should— affect perception in the very least, and increase or decrease noise level; it'd be nice if NPCs would notice [sometime] inappropriate behaviors of party members, like sneaking, and running. RPGs are what the PCs would do in situ, and some situations should call for walking, some for running—some for not running.

Codex Year of the Donut

what
Hardly. It —should— affect perception in the very least; it'd be nice if NPCs would notice inappropriate behaviors of party members, like sneaking, and running. RPGs are what the PCs would do in situ, and some situations should call for walking.
"make the game worse or suffer a penalty!"
no
there's literally nothing stopping you from using cheat engine to slow the game down to 5% of normal speed and enjoy your autistic fantasies or whatever

Glop_dweller

Prophet
I demand RPGs require you sit there and watch your character sleep for 8 hours in real time or else they are bad games.
WTH for? If they sleep, they sleep; if they walk 50 miles on the overland map, then fine—no need to depict it all, unless an encounter happens.

But I liked the way Realms of Arkania handled it. The PC was better off if they packed camping equipment, shoes, and blankets—else roll for disease while sleeping on the ground, and perhaps in the rain; they could stumble off cliffs in the mountains.

Codex Year of the Donut
I demand RPGs require you sit there and watch your character sleep for 8 hours in real time or else they are bad games.
WTH for? If they sleep, they sleep; if they walk 50 miles on the overland map, then fine—no need to depict it all, unless an encounter happens.
because characters need to sleep or else they can't function properly

yeah as it turns out modeling everything isn't fun, just like having characters that move slow isn't fun

Codex Year of the Donut
yeah as it turns out modeling everything isn't fun, just like having characters that move slow isn't fun
Modeling everything is pointlessly excessive; depicting movement during player action is not.
requiring players to move slow or miss details, something you yourself supported, is a shit design decision that falls under "muh realism"

Glop_dweller

Prophet
...requiring players to move slow or miss details, something you yourself supported, is a shit design decision that falls under "muh realism"
I disagree [entirely]. The game should depict only what the player character can manage to perceive; and different degrees, depending upon stats. [Especially in the case of traps, or concealed doors.]

A PC should not be able to run through areas and fill out a detailed automap, for instance... Because the PC would not be able to do that. From a roleplay perspective, running into a trapped room should increase the chance of triggering a hidden trap.

Codex Year of the Donut
...requiring players to move slow or miss details, something you yourself supported, is a shit design decision that falls under "muh realism"
I disagree [entirely]. The game should depict only what the player character can manage to perceive; and different degrees, depending upon stats. [Especially in the case of traps, or concealed doors.]

A PC should not be able to run through areas and fill out a detailed automap, for instance... Because the PC would not be able to do that.
The PC also shouldn't be able to stay awake for long periods without 8 hours of sleep that you must observe in real time.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
The PC also shouldn't be able to stay awake for long periods without 8 hours of sleep that you must observe in real time.
Well I obviously agree with the first half of that, but the latter half is nonsense. Though they should incur stat & skill penalties for lack of rest.

Let me guess... In Baldur's Gate 1 or 2, you didn't disable group infravision even though not all party members had infravision, and it meant that the player could see (and exploit) with nightblind PCs.

Codex Year of the Donut
Well I obviously agree with the first half of that, but the latter half is nonsense. Though they should incur stat & skill penalties for lack of rest.
It's nonsense because you don't like it. Your character demands sleep!

Glop_dweller

Prophet
It's nonsense because you don't like it. Your character demands sleep!
Now you're just being sardonic.

It would be funny if D&D games actually depicted the party sleeping, studying, and bandaging... but not unskippably so.

Legend of Grimrock actually fades to black during rest, and increases the internal speed of the game time; the monsters do speed around like Benny Hill, if you clear the fade via script. That could be done with an encamped D&D party.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If the game already have walking animations for npcs, what's the issue adding it for player controlled characters? I prefer personally walking over constantly running around everywhere like I'm a zoomer on crack.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Because sleeping only interacts with the game world in cases of surprised awakening... discovery or ambush; and by then they are not sleeping anymore... though [once again] in Realms of Arkania, [IIRC] party members would remain asleep even in combat, until they awake in turn.

No, running depicts the PC's intent; sleeping is —usually— not public, and is generally (even preferably) uneventful.

In the case of realtime movement (even in Fallout), running allows rapid positioning relative to NPC's (including hostile ones); the reverse goes for walking.

Codex Year of the Donut
Because sleeping only interacts with the game world in cases of surprised awakening... discovery or ambush; and by then they are not sleeping anymore... though [once again] in Realms of Arkania, [IIRC] party members would remain asleep even in combat, until they awake in turn.

No, running depicts the PC's intent; sleeping is —usually— not public, and is generally (even preferably) uneventful.
The PC's intent is to sleep. It's very important. Just like moving slowly, right?

Glop_dweller

Prophet
:hahano:

Remember... The RPG should depict what the PC sees, and the PC isn't seeing anything while asleep.

*Except when the game shows a dream. ;)

Glop_dweller

Prophet
No need; unlike player movement, there is no point or benefit to watching —nothing—.

*I did have a problem with Elder Scrolls map travel though. It's the reverse; eight hours played out in seconds, with no account for the passing of time. In Oblivion, the game does not account for its effect timers during travel; the PC can buff their strength with a spell that lasts for seconds, then travel across country to distant towns while carrying a maxed out load of weapons, armor, and vegetables intended for sale to a merchant—despite that the spell should have ended seconds after their trip began.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom