Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Isometric 2D Art Appreciation Thread

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Those Robin Hood screenies look good, is the game itself any good? Looks like a Commandos clone

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Well, I'm pretty sure Albion's genuine 2D, so there.

Ah, I missed that one. Yeah.

Don't really know how Fallout's tiles were made.

3D renders.

I find arguments in favor of 2D vs 3D with IE games being used as an example very funny for this reason.

There's nothing "funny" about it. 3D used to make 2d renders is not the same as having your game 3D. So arguing 2D vs 3D is really about whether the game is 2D or 3D not the way the graphics are made.
Of course, there are those mentally deranged who think there's some ninja artists somewhere who paint all those huge detailed backgrounds from scratch. Those ARE pretty funny.

But what about RTS games like Stacraft 2 then, whose game logic is firmly 2D (same as the first Starcraft), but the graphics are clearly 3D rendered in real-time? The real difference is that having an immutable perspective with static lighting allows the artist to properly work on the final image without worrying about some retard putting the camera in a weird place and complaining about terrible graphics.

DraQ

Arcane
IqX29.jpg

Fallout 2, New Reno, a den of villainy
Cum and villainy.

potatojohn

Arcane
But what about RTS games like Stacraft 2 then, whose game logic is firmly 2D (same as the first Starcraft), but the graphics are clearly 3D rendered in real-time? The real difference is that having an immutable perspective with static lighting allows the artist to properly work on the final image without worrying about some retard putting the camera in a weird place and complaining about terrible graphics.
You can zoom in and rotate in SC2. Also, SC2 has terrible graphics/engine.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
You can zoom in and rotate in SC2. Also, SC2 has terrible graphics/engine.

So, would SC2 be a 2D game if you couldn't zoom/rotate and if the graphics weren't terrible?

Modron

Arcane
Was golden land ever discussed here?

Yeah golden land was discussed here, the site had an interview with one of developers/pr person back when the game was still slated to come out in English. I for one was looking forward to the game then news about it dropped off the face of the Earth and a translated version never materialized. Heath got translated but that was more of a training bra for the better sequel.

Modron

Arcane
Those Robin Hood screenies look good, is the game itself any good? Looks like a Commandos clone
Same developers eh, plays a bit like Commandos as well from what I've seen.

Was there some trick to making Robin Hood run faster than a slow crawl or am I just screwed because I made the mistake of buying an older game off of steam?

For those wanting to replay the fallout games, i recommend checking this guide http://vault42.org/fallout-1-2-enhancement-guide/ . Has a pretty straight forward install order for patches and mods. Keep in mind that for Fallout 2 you only need the restoration mod, as it includes the others (including the high resolution one)

How about something similar, but for Baldur's Gate 1&2? :D

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Commandos 2 still has some of the most detailed and realistic isometric 2D art around. That reminds me i need to play Commandos 3, anyone recommend it?

commandos2_14.jpg

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Jpeg distortion isn't that bad and is most compatible. The quality can be better, if I use different format ( without compression ), but in this case gain would be minimal and it won't show here. So yeah.

EDIT: here is one made in tiff. Image hosting company converts it to png. :(
.png is also loseless. IIRC the level of compression in .png changes only the time of compression. By the way, going the how it was intended to be seen route, all the Fallout screenshots should be scaled 2x without filters, because on a 22" screen, the image is 8,8".

Oh and in case of Fallout screenshots save it in indexed mode because they are 256 colours any way and there's no point in saving it in full colour.

Like this:
iOmjP79.png

That's how Fallout 2 would look on a 17" screen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom