Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

It's coming

Raapys

Arcane
It was only a matter of time, I guess. Though I'm not exactly sure how it's going to help against piracy, as seems to be this guy's intent.

http://www.destructoid.com/codemasters- ... 9028.phtml
The video games industry has to learn to operate in a different way. My answer is for us as publishers is to actually sell unfinished games - and to offer the consumer multiple micro-payments to buy elements of the full experience.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Oh yes, pirates will never be able to circumvent this! It's too brilliant!
Give this man a Nobel Peace Prize for finally dealing the death blow to piracy everywhere.

Or maybe the Nobel Prize in literature for the greatest piece of fiction ever.

Phelot

Arcane
My god!

And why not? It worked for Shareware back in the day, except you generally didn't have to buy boxed product.

Exactly, so it's not the same so shut the fuck up. They're apparently asking people to blindly pay money for something without trying it out and in order to get "the full experience" you'd have to dish out even more money.

Shareware didn't do this. In Doom you got the whole experience for free. IF you wanted more then you pay for it. PRetty simple and pretty successful.

I honestly don't know what idea I like worse, having my full games be hurt by intrusive and sometimes crippling DRM systems or paying money for what could be considered a very extensive demo. As long as they're willing to drop the retail prices to correspond with the reduced quantity of content, I'm on board.

And he must know they won't. He must see what they're planning here! I'll assume they aren't going to offer demos so basically you need to blindly buy a game that isn't finished and then buy DLC to complete it. How else would it work? Would I be able to finish the game without buying more of it?

Quilty

Magister
Just go back to making those old-skool manual-checks, it's equally ineffective but at least that way we get a manual and maybe feel like the last ten years didn't happen.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
No different than what they are doing with a lot of DLC.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
It's coming
DLCs, it's already here, yeah.

Anyway, I don't see any logic in this. People will pirate unfinished product and the addons, what's up with his greedy jewish logic?

I can't remember a single post or article about these anti-piracy things where someone says "that's fine, I'm buying it now." All I've seen is potential buyer saying "fuck this."

They just have got to stop annoying actual buyers.

Raapys

Arcane
Well, it is different. With this we might actually be getting the whole 'Pay 5$ for save/load feature' or 'Pay 10$ to get the second part of the main-quest'. Most of the current DLC is just stupid addon stuff which doesn't really have any significance on the game or gameplay( i.e. horse armor), while this seems more of a case of leaving out essential features of the game.

Then again, maybe this means we can leave out Bloom and save 20$.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom