Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jade Empire in depth analysis

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Volourn said:
JE doesn't pretend anything.
yes it does. it constantly pretends to be mature and about gray choices. that the open palm and closed fist or whatever they were called are not simply blatantly good vs evil, and that the reasoning behind choices is important, while all of that is a big honking pile of bullshit and all the choices are simple good vs evil ones without any depth whatsoever, where your (character's) reasoning doesn't matter in the slightest.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
JE is better than the KOTORs, both NWN OCs, SOU, and BG1.

bat_boro

Arcane
No, it's not.
I guess it could have been, but it's not.

The biggest disappointment that I found in Jade Empire was, in fact, the setting. It was supposed to feel like some kind of eastern japanese fantasy tale, but in the end it felt bland and uninspired western kind of fantasy. WTF?

I played a little game called Prince of Qin some time ago, it was from a Chinese developer and really got the setting right. Now that's what I call a good eastern tale. JE? It looked promising and it could have been good, but no. That'll hopefully change in the sequel, but if you go too eastern you'll eventually turn away the western audience soo... guess not

doctor_kaz

Scholar
The game isn't that short if you listen to all of the dialog and do all of the side quests. The thing about a Bioware RPG nowadays is you can spend at least an extra 10-15 hours just listening to conversations if you don't speed through them. Fighting sytem is okay but what really carries it is the kickass motion-capturing. So it's kinda like the combat in The Witcher in that respect. Not a bad game, but certainly not worth the hype that it got on its release either. The PC version of the game is significantly harder than the X-Box version, although it's still not hard.

Azrael the cat said:
(regarding the British explorer insulting the ignorance of all the chinese philosophers)

Which is the most memorable and worthwhile moment in the whole game. After that, you don't really need to play the game because there's nothing as cool in it anymore.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
bat_boro said:
No, it's not.
I guess it could have been, but it's not.

The biggest disappointment that I found in Jade Empire was, in fact, the setting. It was supposed to feel like some kind of eastern japanese fantasy tale, but in the end it felt bland and uninspired western kind of fantasy. WTF?

I played a little game called Prince of Qin some time ago, it was from a Chinese developer and really got the setting right. Now that's what I call a good eastern tale. JE? It looked promising and it could have been good, but no. That'll hopefully change in the sequel, but if you go too eastern you'll eventually turn away the western audience soo... guess not

Anyone play Prince of Qin? Does it have a storyline, linear or not, any sidequests, any dialog, is it all grinding, any stealth gameplay...

Speaking of far eastern flavored RPGs, how is The Genie's Curse, any RPG value to it at all?

bat_boro

Arcane
buccaroobonzai said:
Anyone play Prince of Qin? Does it have a storyline, linear or not, any sidequests, any dialog, is it all grinding, any stealth gameplay...

I've played it, but as I said it was long, long ago. I remember I liked it, though.
As to your question - it has a storyline, and somehow rather interesting, also. It's fairly unlinear in that that you can go wherever you want most of the time, but the quests are very linear and don't offer different options for solutions. As far as I remember there isn't a whole lot of c&c eigher. There's dialog, although the voice acting is terrible (good thing it's very rare) and there's no stealth gameplay.

Oh, one thing a didn't like was the level scaling. It's not as bad as in Oblivion, but it is bad nonetheless

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom