Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Jagged Alliance 3 still turn based

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: Jagged Alliance 3 (Strategy First); Richard Therrien; Strategy First

<b>Richard Therrien</b>, the Vice President of Creative Development at <a target=_blank href=http://www.strategyfirst.com>Strategy First</a>, has posted in <a target=_blank href=http://www.strategyfirst.com/forum/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=47;t=000005>this thread</a> in the <a target=_blank href=http://www.strategyfirst.com/forum/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=47>Jagged Alliance 3 forum</a>:
<br>
<ul><i>Jagged Alliance 3 will be done to retain the flavour of the previous games while adding what needs to be added to make it the best current gaming experience in its genre.
<br>

<br>
You can't scrap the tactical turn based model just like that.</i></ul>
<br>
Still turn based? That's always good to hear.

Nightjed

Liturgist
holy cow, they are not dumbing it down to appeal to the console kiddos ? ... so happpy ... :wink:

Psilon

Erudite
I may be wrong about this, but I don't think Strategy First has any console titles under development. Thankfully.

triCritical

Erudite
Strategy games are the largest market for PC's. Furthermore, strategy games normally have awkward console controls, and are not to popular on the console. I doubt SF would ever start making console games.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Whipporowill said:
I'm predicting they will be influenced by Silent Storm's excellent graphics... :D

As in licensing the engine? Anyway, been looking forward to this one since I first played the second game, one of the few golden oldies which still gets to take up place on my HD and is played every once in a while.

Seven

Erudite
I agree completely; the engine will have to be AT LEAST as good as the SS engine just to meet current standards. The gameplay alone is outstanding without taking into account the visual appeal of the game.

Whipporowill

Erudite
I don't think Nival would want to license their engine to a actual rival - since that's more or less what SS (and SS Sentiels still more) is to the JA Series. But yeah, the engine will have to at least look as good as SS, or better since it will probably take a few years before we see the game.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
True, licensing the engine wouldn't be a smart move in this case. I also agree that the expectations of the graphical engine for games like these have changed now that Silent Storm has set a new standard, I'd find it hard to play a new game where I couldn't blow pretty much everything to pieces and the tactical implications such freedom means.

Balthus

Novice
You can't scrap the tactical turn based model just like that.
What? A Vice President saying things like that? In the gaming business? I'm amazed and even a bit frigthened :shock: .

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
I don't understand why publishers don't think TB RPGs will sell. After all, the Japanese are STILL doing it. Just take a look at Final Fantasy VII and similar games. Not that I like Japanese RPGs, I'm just throwing it out as an example.

Voss

Erudite
Balthus said:
You can't scrap the tactical turn based model just like that.
What? A Vice President saying things like that? In the gaming business? I'm amazed and even a bit frigthened :shock: .

Mind you, he didn't say it would be turn based, just that you can't scrap turned base like that. Interesting what a different emphasis does to the sentence, huh?
Its still possible that Marketing McSuit Boy could convince them that its bad...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Good one, Voss. Let's play "complete the sentense" now: You can't scrap the tactical turn based model just like that, ...

You can't scrap the tactical TB model just like that, so we are going to use it to develop a new cutting edge RT model with an intuitive pause mode.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
ya, there going to do some shit like freedom force or that new UFO game, because since you can pause the actions it makes it TB right?

Greenskin13

Erudite
Whipporowill said:
I don't think Nival would want to license their engine to a actual rival - since that's more or less what SS (and SS Sentiels still more) is to the JA Series.

Ain't that the sad truth. In the perfect world, SF and Nival would team together and fight crime/console games.

Nightjed

Liturgist
Whipporowill said:
I don't think Nival would want to license their engine to a actual rival - since that's more or less what SS (and SS Sentiels still more) is to the JA Series. But yeah, the engine will have to at least look as good as SS, or better since it will probably take a few years before we see the game.

I think the strategy game market is empty enough for both games and sentinels is comming out soon while ja3 doesnt even have a date yet

Petey_the_Skid

Liturgist
Eh well, Strategy First has a bunch of interesting games released with both Real Time and Turn Based combat represented in their product line. I don't think they'd take a game and make it unrecognizable from it's predecessors, but I suppose disaster can strike anywhere.

Astromarine

Erudite
ORB and GalCiv put STrategy First on my map, and it doesn't look like they'll be leaving it soon

EDIT: also Prince of Qin, Europa Universalis, and Uplink

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom