Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jeff Vogel blogs about awesomeness.

abstract

Scholar
Jasede said:
Oh, we've been through this. Vogel is a retard. Yes, yes, he gifted you great (debatable) games - so what? Every single interview - and I mean absolutely every single one of them - has at least one or two major idiocies in it.

Some guy posted he was being sarcastic about FF X - no he wasn't. If you ever read Vogel interviews you'll notice he has terrible taste, dumb opinions and is just a fuckwad in general.

You seem genuinely butthurt. Maybe you should play Geneforge 5, it has walking animations you know.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The main character in FFX is the personification of a dream. He was created to appeal to preteens and females. The game sold well because of this, but I found the whole experience akin to wearing my friend's sister's dress and watching Sailor Moon on his 13th birthday. The only difference was that I actually had fun doing the latter. FFX was a process of walking down a straight corridor while playing paper/rock/ scissors with monsters. Occasionally, I remember being treated to some Hannah Montana quality cutscenes. I got lost a couple of times wandering around those cloister thingies and some sphere grid as well. Oh yeah, the blitzball and heavy metal was cool.

I'm a 30 year old alcoholic though, so I'll take the dark brooding hero over the experience of FFX any day. Also, I might add that while the silent type is a cop out, the fun loving badass is even more so. I can't imagine actually giving a shit about any story involving a person that likewise doesn't give a shit. It might be good for an action RPG, but it ain't no Shakespeare. Besides, most of you are pussies, so don't even pretend to identify more with a character who lacks a conscience. I've personally deserted the military twice, committed $80,000+ worth of credit card fraud, and thrown cats into wood furnaces, yet I still identify more with Anakin Skywalker than Jango Fett (I know Attack of the Clones sucked so don't even go there).

My point is that RPGs are about establishing an emotional connection. Fuck the lot of you who don't admit that, cause I know you're just trying to act kewl.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I've personally deserted the military twice, committed $80,000+ worth of credit card fraud, and thrown cats into wood furnaces,

You're such an awesome man! Would you like to sign my cock? With your mouth?

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Actually I'm a terrible person. At least I was 7 or 8 years ago. This is the Codex, my friend, of course I'll sign your cock!

Who cares about the personality of the person you control, I hate master chief because he is a generic robocop ripoff, but I am capable of enjoying a little single player Halo 2 game once in a blue moon, I dont even care what my character is like, gameplay is more important.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
The reason why character and plot are more important in JRPGs than other kinds of games is because gameplay usually takes a back seat. An average 8 year old could play through FF7, but 10 million people liked it because of the setting and characters. In fact, I've personally found that many JRPGs become less enjoyable when gameplay becomes the focus. At the end of the day what most people call gameplay is nothing more than an illusion created to make themselves feel competent. Few people actually test their limits while playing video games.

Sometimes a game comes around that tries something different that actually works. Unfortunately, these games are rare and usually require a random stroke of genius. Most of todays popular titles are anythis but ingenius, though. For example, a game like Halo 2 compensates for unreasonable gameplay by using a ton of checkpoints. That way even the poorest players feel like they are bad asses. I'm a poor FPS player, myself, and thoroughly enjoy fucking off in these kinds of games. Hell, even the multiplayer aspects of these games follow a philosophy of no consequences for failure. Everyone just shoots and kills, gets killed, rinses and repeats. Maybe that kind of gameplay is contemporary, but I'd hardly call it relevant.

Apoc_Tao

Novice
It appears Vogel has completely lost his mind. His recent fall into stale and formulaic games were simple signs of incompetence and laziness, but his continuously wackier point of view on the current state of the game industry shows that he's really just one step away from the asylum.

What a crazy son of a bitch. Funny thing is I kind of liked his first games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom