Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jenkem wants a Devil Spire thread.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Devil Spire is a King's Field inspired rougelike dungeon crawler. Game uses masculine and feminine for character creation instead of male or female, but what do you expect from channer devs. You can be a furry or a scalie, which is really just a human with a bad fur or scale texture. Character creation uses the point buy system and there's several classes that affect your starting gear. You get four stats, strength affects how hard you hit and how much crap you can carry in your inventory until you can't pick up anymore. Vitality affects how much gear you can wear before you can't run anymore and how many hit points you have and your body resistance. Agility affects how fast you can move, swing, and cast spells. Intelligence affects how much mana you have and how powerful your spells are.

Combat is simple, swing at something or shoot/throw things at it until it dies. All melee weapons have different reaches which makes a big different on whether or not you get pounded, it also affects how likely you are to strike nearby walls, damaging your weapon and wasting time. You can theoretically dodge attacks, but it's almost impossible. You can also block on coming attacks or parry if you timing is right. Magic is simple too and there's a lot of weird spells including a eye laser that blinds you when it wears off and a spell that lets you ATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA like Kenshiro.

All of your gear breaks down from wear and tear and fixing it is as simple as combining a similar item (helmets fix helmets, but all weapons fix other weapons). The game has a limited crafting system that lets you make items from junk that can improve your gear. You can also mix potions in lots of pretty colors that do different things. Gear gets better the father you go in, it also gets really fucking heavy.

Default game mode is ascent which is 25 levels with a boss on every 5th floor. Different themes bring different monsters, hazards, and items to scavenge. Unlockable modes include a 100 level descent, a random infinite mode, and an arena. Dungeons are blocky chunks shoved together and you get a lamp. Lamp light lets you see farther, not being able to see farther is bad and oil can be scarce so save it for when you need it. If you play like a retard then it's really easy to die in this game, so don't be retarded.

ithiro

Arcane
Developer
Hi, dev here.

RREEEE PLEASE BUY MY GAME DO IT NOW NOW RRREEEEEEEEEEE

But yeah, that pretty much sums up my game. I know people have beef with the procgen, but it's not like I ever didn't tell people that it was a roguelite game. You have to play it like an action dungeon crawler, finding a fun way to break it *is* it's thing. And I don't even have anything against hand crafted stuff, it's just that I love procgen too much.

I'm working on the sequel now and my goal is to make a fully dynamic open world, where the RPG stuff really, really matters, instead of the game just giving you 2~3 options to solve your problems which may or may not fit your character build. And that almost requires you to have a really expansive system that can account for everything, which is where the procgen comes in: If everything is dynamically created, then there's no problem if that super duper important character is killed in a fire because you think Fireball is the best negotiation strategy, the game just accounts for it and moves on.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
More tips for Jenkem because he's so bad at this game:

The Prisoner is one of the hardest bosses because he's almost impossible to outrun, but if you can time your blocks he stuns like any other enemy. Bosses are also susceptible to the same spells normal monsters are so you can poison, shrink, etc. If you have a thorn ring of the power then he tends to go down in a heap if you can take the punishment.

The Ghost boss will rape you if you charge at him because his ultimate does a ton of damage, so go in, trigger him, and then move back to a corner.

Enemies are stupid and will kill themselves with their own magic all the time, this is a huge problem if you're trying to get the super duper sekrit endings.

Deprived is the ultimate wild card class and the best because they always get a ring, just reroll until you get something good. If you're lucky you'll also get a rag and some fool's gold which can be made into 100 coins so you can do some shopping.

On harder difficulty levels you'll be using tricks like gates to kill enemies because they can take a ton of punishment and hit very hard.

Don't neglect agility, being able to run the fuck away from enemy spells is very important.

Spells can be combined like items to make different spells and some spells are just plain better than others. Faire call sucks because the faries all seem to rush to heal the enemy. Golem sucks because of friendly fire. The best spell is invoke if you have access to a lot or near unlimited mana as it will provide its own means of being upgraded over and over along with gear to repair your stuff with.

Always try to wait before binging on healing crap lying around. If you clear the place without taking damage and find a statue you can donate blood for some easy xp and then heal up grazing on grass, flowers, and mushrooms. Speaking of flowers, it can be a very bad idea to eat them depending on what kind of spells you have in your book since they make you act crazy and do things (like cast spells randomly).

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe you could fuck off.

Maybe don't go spouting about how there's already a Devil Spire thread "made by the dev" when one doesn't exist so you have to make one and then constantly tag me to cover for you being a complete abject retard.

congratulations on being such an annoying fucktard and spamming/tagging about this enough for me to just get a steam refund

Modron

Arcane
Maybe you could fuck off.

Maybe don't go spouting about how there's already a Devil Spire thread "made by the dev" when one doesn't exist so you have to make one and then constantly tag me to cover for you being a complete abject retard.

congratulations on being such an annoying fucktard and spamming/tagging about this enough for me to just get a steam refund
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/check-out-my-roguelite-first-person-dungeon-crawler.141500/ He really should rename the thread so it has the game name in the title but I suppose that is why the search the first post option exists.

ithiro

Arcane
Developer
So how about some Screenshots?
I can provide some of a specific part of the game if you're curious.

I don't exactly know Forum etiquette, but at least the other thread was created by me and had my whole "pitch" of the game, and it was posted in the Workshop section.

And the Masculine/Feminine thing was just to cover my ass in case I get a crosshair up my face. It's obviously Male and Female characters. I don't subscribe to politics/social issues at all, much less American ones.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Since Jenkem is being such a bad host I guess I'll post some...
y2ZMSJa.jpg

Here is character creation, mess with stats, mess with class, mess with your face.

p6tVk1u.jpg

Yifftastic!

ZIx8crd.jpg

In Soul mode you can spend souls for gold, powers, and stats before you begin. Souls are given by playing and beating the game. Soul mode is basically wimpy or creative mode, Jenkem's favorite. Each mode has a different ending except for ones that go on forever like Chaos.

IZpp0r9.jpg

As you can see, once you spend thousands of souls on stats, you are very mighty and unstoppable. Also, this is your inventory, beautiful. Here is where you equip stuff, combine stuff, and throw away stuff you don't need.

VDYxRws.jpg

Normal modes begin in the village where you can spend your meager gold on starting gear. I think this thing shows if you play on extreme or higher and it lets you make your life more difficult if you want. After you finish a mode it also unlocks some skulls you can take to curse you with nasty things like mini boss enemies in the place of normal ones because you are mighty and have something to prove.

eY0iZwe.jpg

Combat.

MIBc73D.jpg

This is a boss, bosses are made of polygons instead of sprites.

FG7QEID.jpg

When bosses die they leave behind a stat booster, a power, and a gold booster, you can only choose one so choose wisely, or don't.

Suissant

Novice
The artwork shown is too yify for my tastes ;)

Edit: But I'll try it out. Never played an fps roguelike before

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom